• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CG Jackson Trigger vs Jewell HVR

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
I have my rifle at GAP for a rebarrel. It currently has a Jewell Since its there, Im kicking around the idea of changing the trigger to a two stage CG Jackson Trigger. Any opinions? Anyone with bad experiences with this trigger? I've only heard good things about it, but its not a cheap upgrade either. Anyone have experience with both triggers and think its worth the cost of swapping a Jewell, inletting an AICS and the extra cost of a new trigger? Of course this is subjective, but any thoughts would be great. I personally like the ability to use a straight trigger shoe on a thumbhole. Would also be nice to place the shoe slightly forward from where the Jewell sits in the AICS. I think this is possible with the CG.

Re: CG Jackson Trigger vs Jewell HVR

I chose a CG over a Jewell as I wanted a two stage to mirror my TRG plus I have large hands/long fingers so the adjustability is a benefit. In terms of the actual break of the second stage I think the two are on a par, at least to my level of experience.

I have generally been happy with my choice although for a genuine hard use field rifle I feel it it may be too sensitive to grime and temperature change (the same could perhaps be said of a Jewell). I've determined to go back and set mine up again from scratch as I have recently had a couple of hang ups where the sear has not released at the second stage but has fired on bolt lift - this has only happened in cold temps. I frankly may just have it set on too much of a fine edge or there is some hidden crud causing an issue.

The trigger blade can be adjusted fore and aft and if you have large hands this will be useful especially with an AICS which I find personally very cramped. I have a curved shoe on mine seated 4/5ths of the way forwards combined with an MCS-GAT stock with an enlarged grip.

In summary, great two stage trigger, excellent ergo adjustment, your choice of shoe. I'd be wary of too fine a set up outside of a bench environment.

Hope this helps.

TC

Posting the above prompted me to go pull the rifle with the CG trigger out of the cabinet and work out what was going on.

The inside of the trigger unit was a little gummy, a hose out with butane lighter fuel as per Jackson has things looking much better.

I was unable to replicate the field issue I saw last week even with the chiil of the fuel however I decided to go through the setup procedure from scratch (initial install was by smith) and have actually achieved a longer first stage along with a crisp, creep free, second.

I'll put the "fault" down to my poor maintenance but hold to my view that if long muddy crawls are in your future this may not be the trigger for you.

TC

You're welcome!

I think it's a great trigger but unless you desperately want a twin stage I would not go to the expense to replace the Jewell and re inlet.

Have you thought about a shoe on the Jewell blade ? There is plenty of protecting width on the AICS and a little work could get you to that straight shoe/longer reach...

TC

Jewel triggers absolutely SUCK for field use. They are way too finicky and WILL get dirty and fail. If you're going to be a BR guy then fine, but if you are going to fire a real rifle in dirty conditions do not use the Jewel.

My experience the the Jackson is non-existant for about the next 4 days. After that, my rifle will be returned to me with the new Jackson trigger. It will be tested at the SHC and we'll see how it performs.

You couldn't give me a Jewel for field conditions. I've learned my lesson the hard way as have others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewel triggers absolutely SUCK for field use. They are way too finicky and WILL get dirty and fail. If you're going to be a BR guy then fine, but if you are going to fire a real rifle in dirty conditions do not use the Jewel.

My experience the the Jackson is non-existant for about the next 4 days. After that, my rifle will be returned to me with the new Jackson trigger. It will be tested at the SHC and we'll see how it performs.

You couldn't give me a Jewel for field conditions. I've learned my lesson the hard way as have others. </div></div>

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the CG Mike.

Peter Jackson recommends running them dry and hosing out with a residue free solvent like butane but its a pretty fiddly unit too.

TC

If they absolutely suck; why does Surgeon use them? They aren't building BR rifles!

TonyC,

I am interested to see how it fairs. If it isn't reliable, then it's gone and I'll get a Shilen or Timney. However everyone I have spoken to that has used one has said it is nice. You are the first that indicated there was a problem with dirt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just because Surgeon uses them makes them great?

Perfect example of the difference in actual experience vs. hearsay. Why don't you call Preston and ask him? </div></div>
I have talked to him about it before! I wouldn't say that because they use them makes it great but I'd be willing to say that because they use them; they don't absolutely suck!

I've had two fail on me in the field. One failure caused an ND. You can have them. I'll stick with ones I've used that haven't failed, and give new ones a chance. Jewel has had their chance and to me, they failed<span style="font-style: italic"> for field use. </span>

But again, this is just my opinion.

That is very disappointing as the information that I received everything should be fine around 2.5lbs. Oh well I have a 40x for back up.
grin.gif
I just don't understand Surgeon's logic as they are known for using the finest materials? Perhaps they are counting on meticulous cleaning and maybe LE doesn't get their equipment that dirty?
confused.gif

Here's my thoughts and remember, I am only expressing my opinion here.

Jewels are great triggers when they are clean. Hence their reputation and why they are used. I think they probably do rely on meticulous cleaning as does most if not all LE agencies. Think of how much liability a dirty rifle may be.

So realistically if you're not going to lay in the dirt, and you clean your rifle all the time, it may be a great trigger for you. But for me, I shoot from the dirt even with a mat, and don't meticulously clean my rifles, as George just berated me for. So if you want a Jewel, go for it, but if you want my opinion, I would steer you away from it.

Thanks for the invaluable honest opinion. As you stated real world experience is important. I suppose if you treat your precision rifle like an AK; I would stay away from a Jewell!
grin.gif

Remember Turk it is just my opinion and only worth what you pay for it.

My philosophy is I don't want to have to baby a rifle for it to work; then again I'm not Nobody either. If one wants a Jewel then go for it. If one is indifferent, there are other options.

It's all good.

Not "brownosin"!
grin.gif
This is why this is a great site. Varied opinions of real world shooters. One should be aware of such things so they can alter their equipment or maintenance to suit their needs.

any trigger will go south if it gets enough crap in it. i had a stock remington trigger cost me a boone & crockett whitetail 6 years ago. ive ran jewells, timneys, rifle basics. ive had good luck with them. i try to keep any oil away from them, run them dry if possible.

i have five Jewells and have never had a problem with any of them. my rifles seldom see sanitary conditions and get full exposure to the local environment (nearly a desert and notorious for wind)

but every time the barreled action is out of the stock, the triggers get blasted with brake cleaner and compressed air. i make sure no bore solvent gets in them-ever.

A large portion of what makes jewels not the trigger they used to be is the fact that they dont surface grind the internals anymore. Which one leads to a less crisp trigger and could lead to dirt getting into the low spots on the trigger and jamming things up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PFCSkoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A large portion of what makes jewels not the trigger they used to be is the fact that they dont surface grind the internals anymore. Which one leads to a less crisp trigger and could lead to dirt getting into the low spots on the trigger and jamming things up </div></div>
Very disappointing news assuming this is fact?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewel triggers absolutely SUCK for field use. They are way too finicky and WILL get dirty and fail. If you're going to be a BR guy then fine, but if you are going to fire a real rifle in dirty conditions do not use the Jewel.

You couldn't give me a Jewel for field conditions. I've learned my lesson the hard way as have others. </div></div>

My jewell worked ok, but I heard from others that it needs to be clean... or else. I found my Jewell was slightly mushy...yes I can follow directions and adjust a trigger. Also, I greatly prefer two-stage triggers. Just look at the cut-out of the CG trigger design, it looks like a trigger built to last. All levers and ball bearings: no gears or ratchets: http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/cgtrigger.html I spoke with Tom about durability of the trigger and he said the military tested a bunch of triggers and his was the only one to survive their tests. Obviously he is a biased source of info, but I believe what he said nonetheless.

Hey Mike, if the Jackson ain't up to snuff I'll take it off your hands! I like single stagers on my precision/comp rifles, but my HP sillywet rifle's set up just the same as my SB Anschutz, everything but the two stager.

FWIW, I douse my triggers with zippo fluid then blow. Naptha cleans great and leaves a touch of protective petroleum on the metal.

My opinion is that Jewell makes a great trigger. Ive got 2 of them the one in my 6.5 ive owned for 6 years and NEVER had a problem with it. Ive also got one in my 7mm never had a problem with it either. Just beacuse most BR shooters use them doesnt mean they are not suited for tactical, or hunting situations. Every trigger manufacture gonna have problems here and there. If that means every 5-6th cleaning taking the barreled action out of the stock and cleaning the trigger then so be it. Ive never cleaned either of my triggers since I bought them and ive never squeezed of another single stage trigger that came close to a Jewell.

FYI, if your using your gun for extreme field use it doesnt matter what trigger brand youve got in it sooner or later there all gonna need cleaned.

Ive been running three rifles with CG (Jackson) triggers for tha past year or so.

The unit is pretty well sealed from dust etc and has no issues when wet, frozen etc unless the ajustment has been wrongly set.

You can induce it to fire when you open the bolt, IF ITS not set up correctly - (the instructions are easy to follow in order to get a good light BUT SAFE release)

The trigger is not foeld strippable (but neither is a jewel) but its easier to strip and clean the CG than a Jewel (IMHO)

For those that like single stage - buy a Jewel, for thos that like two stage - get a CG.

My rifles get used every week in all sorts of crap weather etc and the CG's havent let me down yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewel triggers absolutely SUCK for field use. They are way too finicky and WILL get dirty and fail. If you're going to be a BR guy then fine, but if you are going to fire a real rifle in dirty conditions do not use the Jewel.

My jewell worked ok, but I heard from others that it needs to be clean... or else. I found my Jewell was slightly mushy...yes I can follow directions and adjust a trigger. Also, I greatly prefer two-stage triggers. Just look at the cut-out of the CG trigger design, it looks like a trigger built to last. All levers and ball bearings: no gears or ratchets: http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/cgtrigger.html I spoke with Tom about durability of the trigger and he said the military tested a bunch of triggers and his was the only one to survive their tests. Obviously he is a biased source of info, but I believe what he said nonetheless. </div></div>

Is the one that passed the test the "tactical" version that costs $700+ !?!?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pgs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any trigger will go south if it gets enough crap in it. i had a stock remington trigger cost me a boone & crockett whitetail 6 years ago. ive ran jewells, timneys, rifle basics. ive had good luck with them. i try to keep any oil away from them, run them dry if possible. </div></div>

Not a winchester!!! Cover it with dirt--still works.

I have been to the desert with my Timney tigger 3 times since I installed it, and I have yet to clean it or experiance any problems, and yes it is dirty. The last 2 times I went it was very windy to say the least! And did I mention this trigger cost me $145?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewel triggers absolutely SUCK for field use. They are way too finicky and WILL get dirty and fail. If you're going to be a BR guy then fine, but if you are going to fire a real rifle in dirty conditions do not use the Jewel.

My jewell worked ok, but I heard from others that it needs to be clean... or else. I found my Jewell was slightly mushy...yes I can follow directions and adjust a trigger. Also, I greatly prefer two-stage triggers. Just look at the cut-out of the CG trigger design, it looks like a trigger built to last. All levers and ball bearings: no gears or ratchets: http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/cgtrigger.html I spoke with Tom about durability of the trigger and he said the military tested a bunch of triggers and his was the only one to survive their tests. Obviously he is a biased source of info, but I believe what he said nonetheless. </div></div>

Is the one that passed the test the "tactical" version that costs $700+ !?!? </div></div>

A "tactical" version that costs $700+?

Do you have a link to that information? I have only found CG Jackson triggers in the sub-$400 range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewel triggers absolutely SUCK for field use. They are way too finicky and WILL get dirty and fail. If you're going to be a BR guy then fine, but if you are going to fire a real rifle in dirty conditions do not use the Jewel.

Is the one that passed the test the "tactical" version that costs $700+ !?!? </div></div>

A "tactical" version that costs $700+?

Do you have a link to that information? I have only found CG Jackson triggers in the sub-$400 range.
</div></div>

Nope. Rumor mill. Ive heard that the $330 version is not the "Tactical" version but there is a $700 tactical version. Not sure how much BS factor is in this rumor....

It is my understanding from Tom that the lower bar will have a solid, fixed shoe. That will be the only change as I understood the conversation.

alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been running three rifles with CG (Jackson) triggers for tha past year or so.

The unit is pretty well sealed from dust etc and has no issues when wet, frozen etc unless the ajustment has been wrongly set.

You can induce it to fire when you open the bolt, IF ITS not set up correctly - (the instructions are easy to follow in order to get a good light BUT SAFE release)

The trigger is not foeld strippable (but neither is a jewel) but its easier to strip and clean the CG than a Jewel (IMHO)

For those that like single stage - buy a Jewel, for thos that like two stage - get a CG.

My rifles get used every week in all sorts of crap weather etc and the CG's havent let me down yet.

</div></div>

Twice had to strip my CG trigger to clean heather seed out of it..........stuck in the sear.

Until yesterday I would have argued to the end of the earth in favor of Jewels, but mine would not allow the firing pin to cock yesterday, I reinstalled my old style Rem and GTG, I don't understand what happened, simple lighter fluid bath, not the first time either, and FUBAR from there, I'm sticking to Rems for now on.

Wow, 9+ years with a Jewell trigger on my tactical and hunting rifles, many thousands of rounds and a few barrels later and I've never had one single failure or issue.

Great trigger in my opinion

Well I just got my rifle back from GAP with the Jackson in it. So far all I've done is FF'd it but I think I've got a winner here. Now all I have to do is fine tune the shoe position. Can I do that with a Jewel or is it fixed? Oh, that's right, it's in a fixed position.

and you don't see a down side to one more thing that could go wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I just got my rifle back from GAP with the Jackson in it. So far all I've done is FF'd it but I think I've got a winner here. Now all I have to do is fine tune the shoe position. Can I do that with a Jewel or is it fixed? Oh, that's right, it's in a fixed position. </div></div>
Mike, is that really an asset in a tactical platform? One more thing to go wrong? Not bashing; just curious about your opinion!

Good question.

My answer would be why? Why would it go wrong? Because it's a two-stage trigger? That fact doesn't seem to hurt the AW rifle that's used by many militaries throughout Europe.

Also, I would ask you why? I've had Jewel's fail on me and those are only a single stage trigger, so what am I compromising?

Sikpupi,

Again, you ask a valid question but what exactly can you pinpoint the weak spot to on a two-stage trigger. One thing I will point out on a two stage that is very nice and adaptable to a tactical trigger is the actual first stage allows me to run a lighter trigger weight than a one stage. I think this can be advantageous.

On a final note, remember, I have not run this yet. I have the Cup coming up, other run and gun events, and the Bash later in the year. After that point I'll probably have about 2K rounds down the tube with another 3-5K of dry firing. At that point I'll be able to give you a true opinion.

Mike, just the adjustable shoe is my concern. Seems like something else to get loose or lost? I prefer the 2 stage as well.

Gotcha on the shoe. IF you found your perfect shooting position with that trigger, would you consider a little blue locktite on there?

Not saying that is what I would do (maybe in a real tactical scenario), but it would eliminate the exact issue you mentioned. Or if not eliminate entirely, severely reduce its chances.

well I just ordered one of these. Thanks for everyone's input.

Mike, the adjustable shoe was what i was wondering about too

the two stage thing itself is not an issue if you like them. they have been used in military situations at least since the M94 mauser and maybe before that.

i just can't feel the love for them tho. by the time i get the slack out of the first stage, i could have made the shot with a single stage trigger. maybe you are supposed to take up the slack before you are ready to shoot, but that goes against the grain, IMO.

but, it probably boils down to what you were taught to shoot with.

sikpupi,

You are right. Time will tell for me.

For the second stage it is a personal choice thing and people have to see if it's for them.

For me, the things I like about them are the allow me to run a slightly lighter trigger than I normally would, and they "force" me to concentrate by the slack in the first stage. That's just me though and others may very.