• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CGS Hyperion, Nomad LT or ultra 9

762 ULTRAMAGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Idaho
I recently bought a Banish 30 suppressor and its incredible, the only downside is I'm having to move it between two rifles.. A 16" 6.5 saum (which sounds like a damn pellet gun), and a 24" 30 nosler.
The nosler sounds pretty good but still has some bark.
I'm looking to pick up another 9" suppressor to run strictly on the 30 nos with max suppression being #1, still wanting to keep it lighter cuz its my LR elk rifle.
The cgs Hyperion is getting reviewed as being about the quietest out there, and I'm torn between it and the ultra 9 gen 2.
Anyone have experience with the suppression levels between these two cans?
If its significant in favor of the Hyperion then I feel the extra weight would be worth it, otherwise the ultra 9 being approx 5 oz lighter might be a more balanced choice..
Too many F@#$%%@ great options

Edited to add the nomad LT in the lineup

Last edited:
Reactions: SilencerCentral
well, I agree. Lots of great choices. You picked two good ones. Nothing to be said bad about either. I do not think you will be unhappy with either choice, and we happen to sell both, so give me a DM. :cool:

Take a look at the weight on each. In our business, CGS would win the tactical shooter and TBAC the long range shooter. I would have to look, but I am a disciple of Pew Science, and CGS will probably win the sound match, but in real world environments, how much is that much? Probably pretty close. Then, there is back pressure. We do not work with too many hunters, except for elk, and the elk shooters and the long range shooters have a lot in common.

Not to totally confuse the issue, but I would look at the Lux 7.62 as well.

All great options, and TBAC is an amazing can, the only thing that holds them back is proprietary threads that ONLY use their brakes and muzzle devices.

If you want the best of the best in sound suppression, consistency, lightweight, and versatility (1.375x24 standard threads), the Nomad-LT is the top of the heap. Their custom Nomad baffle design is insane. 👍🏼

Another awesome option you didn't mention, but thought I would...Is the Energetic Armament LUX can. It's also 1.375x24 and can use a Dead Air KeyMo Omega QD setup (same exact model for Nomad cans).

Reactions: K80/6.5
All great options, and TBAC is an amazing can, the only thing that holds them back is proprietary threads that ONLY use their brakes and muzzle devices.

If you want the best of the best in sound suppression, consistency, lightweight, and versatility (1.375x24 standard threads), the Nomad-LT is the top of the heap. Their custom Nomad baffle design is insane. 👍🏼

Another awesome option you didn't mention, but thought I would...Is the Energetic Armament LUX can. It's also 1.375x24 and can use a Dead Air KeyMo Omega QD setup (same exact model for Nomad cans).
I'm trying to find some user data comparing the suppression level of the LT to a gen2 ultra 9.
I'm a DT guy so all the mounting options are meaningless to me.

I'm trying to find some user data comparing the suppression level of the LT to a gen2 ultra 9.
I'm a DT guy so all the mounting options are meaningless to me.
The LT is so new, you probably won't find any. HOWEVER, I was told by the guys at Dead Air, that it's damn-near identical to the regular stainless Nomad-L (just lighter weight), so that might get you some better search results and information. 👍🏼

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
The LT is so new, you probably won't find any. HOWEVER, I was told by the guys at Dead Air, that it's damn-near identical to the regular stainless Nomad-L (just lighter weight), so that might get you some better search results and information. 👍🏼
Well after a ton of research and talking with the guys at Silencer Shop I decided to get the Nomad LT.

I was really considering the ultra 9 gen 2 until I talked with a local dealer that sells tons of suppressors.
They gave me the low down on the recall and its a bigger deal than I'd imagined.. they sent all theirs back and apparently people will have to wait a Looooong time for a few that have to be destroyed and built over again with new SNs.
Those guys are so pissed they might drop TBAC from their inventory going forward

Reactions: FuhQ
Well after a ton of research and talking with the guys at Silencer Shop I decided to get the Nomad LT.

I was really considering the ultra 9 gen 2 until I talked with a local dealer that sells tons of suppressors.
They gave me the low down on the recall and its a bigger deal than I'd imagined.. they sent all theirs back and apparently people will have to wait a Looooong time for a few that have to be destroyed and built over again with new SNs.
Those guys are so pissed they might drop TBAC from their inventory going forward
I hadn't heard it was that bad... Damn... That sucks for TBAC!

Congrats on the LT...You'll enjoy it. My stamp should be coming back anytime now. I was hoping to have them back by my birthday, but that was last Saturday... So, not-so happy birthday to me, thanks to all the influx of Form 4's from the election results and ban attempts. 😒 But, I'm hoping for any day now! I used a dealer that was 75 miles away, with no range, so I didn't get to shoot through them while waiting for them.

At least I decided to use my local SOT for my 2 newest cans, that is only 5 minutes from my house, and they have a nice pistol, machine gun, and 100/200 yard range (soon to be 300 & 400 yards), so I get to go play with my 2 Sandman-S cans while waiting on the stamps to come back. My newest purchase, a MIL-contract FDE Sandman-S, is going to be arriving to the SOT tomorrow, so I'll be able to go break it in on Sat afternoon, and Sunday-Funday. I'll post up. It was supposed to be there today, but somehow FedEx managed to drive the truck from Texas (SS), to Mississippi, then straight through Alabama, over to Ellenwood, GA, without stopping to drop off my can at the SOT today... So, it will arrive tomorrow. I swear the logistics managers for these shipping companies are ALL a bunch of dumbasses! 🙄

Yeah I'm pretty excited about it
My last can took 8 months so I'm just gonna have to try to forget about this one and maybe it'll make it by Christmas
Yeah shipping companies seem to be extra retarded since this China virus bullshit😒

You have me at a disadvantage because I don't know what dealer it is. If it's an Idaho dealer, we've only had one (1) suppressor fail the recall test from any dealer in ID so far.

Here are some facts--

To date we have tested/evaluated about 45% of all the cans in the recall. Of those, 90% of them have already been returned to the dealers/customers. The remaining 10% is almost all cans we are in the process of logging in, testing, or logging out and shipping out. A very small number are cans that are going to be repaired/replaced.

The expected failure rate has ended up being less than half of the failure rate we expected when we announced the recall about 6 weeks ago. In other words, in the affected batches, even fewer cans are actually bad vs. what we thought originally.

Our largest dealer, who had the most cans still in their inventory, has had their cans fully tested and only 6 failed. No other dealer has had more than 2 out of their inventory fail. This includes ones they have sitting on the shelf waiting on a customer Form 4.

For cans that failed the evaluation test, there are two cases:

(1) The dealer has this can on a Form 3 and there is NO customer Form 4 filed. In this case, we are just shipping the dealer a brand new replacement, fresh off the head of the production line, on a new Form 3. They will Form 3 back to us the old can and we'll eventually destroy it here on site. We have new batches coming off the line daily and for most models we'd have a replacement can ready in 1-3 weeks from any particular day; worst case would be about 4 weeks for the least common model.

(2) The end-customer already has the suppressor on a cleared Form 4 -- OR -- the dealer is possessing the can on a Form 3 BUT there is already an end-customer Form 4 filed. These we are repairing immediately. In each of these cases we contact the end customer directly to make sure he knows what's happening and to find out which "SWAG" option he wants (the free brakes or 50% off a new can) for the inconvenience and the cosmetic alternation of his can. At the moment, we have a bunch of repair stacks ready to go just waiting on the reply from the dealer (see below).

We have a little bit of overhead and delay in communicating with the dealer to determine if it's case 1 or 2 and right now our biggest delay is just getting replies back from dealers if a particular case falls into case 1 or case 2.

Really, it sounds like they have a misunderstanding of how the recall works for cans that do fail, because what they told you is different from what we posted online, what I posted here, and what we are actually doing. I would encourage them to call me (or any of our team) if they have questions about the recall.

Anecdotally, I have had more emails come in from customers who wished their can had failed so they could get the 50% discount, than customers who actually had cans fail.

Just placed an order for the Nomad TI I think I will get the longer LT next. Wanted to get one the wait list so maybe by the end of the year I have my first suppressor. If everything works out right maybe have a couple more on order by the end of the year.

I recently bought a Banish 30 suppressor and its incredible, the only downside is I'm having to move it between two rifles.. A 16" 6.5 saum (which sounds like a damn pellet gun), and a 24" 30 nosler.
The nosler sounds pretty good but still has some bark.
I'm looking to pick up another 9" suppressor to run strictly on the 30 nos with max suppression being #1, still wanting to keep it lighter cuz its my LR elk rifle.
The cgs Hyperion is getting reviewed as being about the quietest out there, and I'm torn between it and the ultra 9 gen 2.
Anyone have experience with the suppression levels between these two cans?
If its significant in favor of the Hyperion then I feel the extra weight would be worth it, otherwise the ultra 9 being approx 5 oz lighter might be a more balanced choice..
Too many F@#$%%@ great options

Edited to add the nomad LT in the lineup
Hyperion is quieter and stronger than everything else by a significant margin, so that's a really easy choice. It has no welds so there are no welds to fail and there are no welds to cause warping along its length so there are no concentricity issues. It's design makes it stronger than other silencers by default, and the additive manufacturing process makes the silencer even stronger than billet, forged, or cast parts, and on our titanium silencers we do an additional heat treat which further increases strength and hardness. Due to the construction method the entire silencer is concentric, including the taper joints for the front caps. This means that no matter what accessory you install into the front of the silencer core it'll always be concentric. Also thanks to the design, it's also excellent at reducing recoil so you can stay on target. CGS DMLS silencers are internally coated with Hexagonal Boron Nitride which prevents fouling from sticking in the first place, so there's no need to clean it, and even if you ended up needing to clean it for some reason you still could. The HBN coating also helps limit/eliminate titanium white sparking. With the Hyperion you get dual function capability, not something you need in your case through. Hyperion is good to go with any 7.62 projectile regardless of the case behind it and regardless of barrel length.

To give you an idea of just how quiet the Hyperion is, on a 22" 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun firing supersonic 130gr Prime it's even quieter than a CGS MOD 9 is on an HK P30L firing subsonic 147gr 9mm for both the shooter and for observers.

All CGS rifle silencers in current production can be considered to be precision rifle silencers as well. Due to the design they perform very well for long range precision use across the board. POI shift is repeatable and very minimal. Here's Hyperion unsuppressed to suppressed point of impact shift at 100 meters: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdAhkSLY97/

And groups, read caption/comments for info: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNL92dQr3Zl/ and https://www.instagram.com/p/CNG5AQ0r3Of/

May also be worth noting the Hyperion series can be used on 5.56 ARs if you want by using Hyperion Thread Adapters which convert a 90 deg shoulder barrel to have a SIG 25 deg taper which gives you the retention benefit of the taper shoulder. They're also available in 5/8x24 for those that want the retention benefit and more threads will be added later.

You should also note than an Ultra 9 is not 5oz lighter. The direct thread version would be 4.3oz lighter and the CB version would be near identical in weight once you factor in the weight of the required mount. And also that a Nomad isn't considered a long range precision silencer due to the asymmetrical blast chamber.

Last edited:
You should also note than an Ultra 9 is not 5oz lighter. The direct thread version would be 4.3oz lighter and the CB version would be near identical in weight once you factor in the weight of the required mount. And also that a Nomad isn't considered a long range precision silencer due to the asymmetrical blast chamber.

The CB TBAC will still generally be lighter as the mounts weight very little. Also very few people run barrels with the 25 degree shoulder that the Hyperion needs so most people will have to factor in a couple ounces for the CGS mount. I actually had one in hand and almost purchased it today but held off due to the mounting system. Do you know if they will offer different ways to mount it in the future?

Yeah I'm pretty excited about it
My last can took 8 months so I'm just gonna have to try to forget about this one and maybe it'll make it by Christmas
Yeah shipping companies seem to be extra retarded since this China virus bullshit😒
Yeah, it gave them an extra "legit" excuse to be even MORE worthless than they already were... 😡

Just placed an order for the Nomad TI I think I will get the longer LT next. Wanted to get one the wait list so maybe by the end of the year I have my first suppressor. If everything works out right maybe have a couple more on order by the end of the year.
I bought 3 at once, the first go-round, to cover all my bases... .30 caliber rifle, .45 and smaller pistol, and rimfire up to 5.7x28... So I got a Nomad-LT, Rugged Obsidian 45, and Dead Air Mask HD.

Then in March, Creepy Joe gave us $1,400, so I bought a Sandman-S...

Then on May 4th, I bought my DEVGRU MIL-contract Sandman-S (FDE finish)...

So, now I'm 5-deep in 6 months. And as soon as I get more money, I'll be buying my 6th and get the paperwork rolling along on it.

A young man once asked a wise old man, "When is the best time to purchase a gun (or suppressor)?" The old man replied, "Yesterday..." In other words, before you need it (or can't get/own it), it's best to already have it. 👍🏼

Reactions: K80/6.5
Hyperion is quieter and stronger than everything else by a significant margin, so that's a really easy choice. It has no welds so there are no welds to fail and there are no welds to cause warping along its length so there are no concentricity issues. It's design makes it stronger than other silencers by default, and the additive manufacturing process makes the silencer even stronger than billet, forged, or cast parts, and on our titanium silencers we do an additional heat treat which further increases strength and hardness. Due to the construction method the entire silencer is concentric, including the taper joints for the front caps. This means that no matter what accessory you install into the front of the silencer core it'll always be concentric. Also thanks to the design, it's also excellent at reducing recoil so you can stay on target. CGS DMLS silencers are internally coated with Hexagonal Boron Nitride which prevents fouling from sticking in the first place, so there's no need to clean it, and even if you ended up needing to clean it for some reason you still could. The HBN coating also helps limit/eliminate titanium white sparking. With the Hyperion you get dual function capability, not something you need in your case through. Hyperion is good to go with any 7.62 projectile regardless of the case behind it and regardless of barrel length.

To give you an idea of just how quiet the Hyperion is, on a 22" 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun firing supersonic 130gr Prime it's even quieter than a CGS MOD 9 is on an HK P30L firing subsonic 147gr 9mm for both the shooter and for observers.

All CGS rifle silencers in current production can be considered to be precision rifle silencers as well. Due to the design they perform very well for long range precision use across the board. POI shift is repeatable and very minimal. Here's Hyperion unsuppressed to suppressed point of impact shift at 100 meters: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdAhkSLY97/

And groups, read caption/comments for info: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNL92dQr3Zl/ and https://www.instagram.com/p/CNG5AQ0r3Of/

May also be worth noting the Hyperion series can be used on 5.56 ARs if you want by using Hyperion Thread Adapters which convert a 90 deg shoulder barrel to have a SIG 25 deg taper which gives you the retention benefit of the taper shoulder. They're also available in 5/8x24 for those that want the retention benefit and more threads will be added later.

Can you please explain to me why an asymmetrical blast chamber would cause issues with LR precision shooting?
You have me at a disadvantage because I don't know what dealer it is. If it's an Idaho dealer, we've only had one (1) suppressor fail the recall test from any dealer in ID so far.

Here are some facts--

To date we have tested/evaluated about 45% of all the cans in the recall. Of those, 90% of them have already been returned to the dealers/customers. The remaining 10% is almost all cans we are in the process of logging in, testing, or logging out and shipping out. A very small number are cans that are going to be repaired/replaced.

The expected failure rate has ended up being less than half of the failure rate we expected when we announced the recall about 6 weeks ago. In other words, in the affected batches, even fewer cans are actually bad vs. what we thought originally.

Our largest dealer, who had the most cans still in their inventory, has had their cans fully tested and only 6 failed. No other dealer has had more than 2 out of their inventory fail. This includes ones they have sitting on the shelf waiting on a customer Form 4.

For cans that failed the evaluation test, there are two cases:

(1) The dealer has this can on a Form 3 and there is NO customer Form 4 filed. In this case, we are just shipping the dealer a brand new replacement, fresh off the head of the production line, on a new Form 3. They will Form 3 back to us the old can and we'll eventually destroy it here on site. We have new batches coming off the line daily and for most models we'd have a replacement can ready in 1-3 weeks from any particular day; worst case would be about 4 weeks for the least common model.

(2) The end-customer already has the suppressor on a cleared Form 4 -- OR -- the dealer is possessing the can on a Form 3 BUT there is already an end-customer Form 4 filed. These we are repairing immediately. In each of these cases we contact the end customer directly to make sure he knows what's happening and to find out which "SWAG" option he wants (the free brakes or 50% off a new can) for the inconvenience and the cosmetic alternation of his can. At the moment, we have a bunch of repair stacks ready to go just waiting on the reply from the dealer (see below).

We have a little bit of overhead and delay in communicating with the dealer to determine if it's case 1 or 2 and right now our biggest delay is just getting replies back from dealers if a particular case falls into case 1 or case 2.

Really, it sounds like they have a misunderstanding of how the recall works for cans that do fail, because what they told you is different from what we posted online, what I posted here, and what we are actually doing. I would encourage them to call me (or any of our team) if they have questions about the recall.

Anecdotally, I have had more emails come in from customers who wished their can had failed so they could get the 50% discount, than customers who actually had cans fail.
Interesting.. I'm Im not trying to spread bad info about your recal but it makes no sense that the guy would feed me a line about the returns.

If you want to know the dealership send me a pm

The CB TBAC will still generally be lighter as the mounts weight very little. Also very few people run barrels with the 25 degree shoulder that the Hyperion needs so most people will have to factor in a couple ounces for the CGS mount. I actually had one in hand and almost purchased it today but held off due to the mounting system. Do you know if they will offer different ways to mount it in the future?
The last generation Ultra 9 weighs 16.5oz 15.6oz with the accompanying CB flash hider. The brake may be more or less the same is 2.12oz. In that flash hider case the last generation Ultra 9 actually weighs 0.5oz more than a Hyperion. A Q Full Nelson also weighs more than a Hyperion by 1.5oz, and a SIG SRD 762Ti weighs more by 2.5oz.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Hyperions require the use of the SIG 25 deg barrel shoulder, because they don't at all. Any barrel .735" in diameter at the barrel shoulder or greater using a normal 90 deg shoulder, the vast majority of barrels, the Hyperion will thread right on without any intermediary muzzle device. If you want something with different mounting options then there's the Helios QD which is very nearly as quiet as the 1.8" longer TBAC Ultra 9 (previous generation). A titanium version of it gets released in the third quarter.

Can you please explain to me why an asymmetrical blast chamber would cause issues with LR precision shooting?
Without revealing properietary information it's the same reason that no precision rifle silencer made uses an asymetrical blast chamber when they're really interested in long range precision, projectile influence. Banish silencers, Thunderbeast silencers, CGS silencers, SIG silencers, Q silencers, Area 419 (maybe), AAC, Surefire, Ops Inc, etc all have precision oriented models with symetrical blast chambers. Simply being in a larger size category of silencer or being lightweight isn't what makes something precision oriented, it's the design that determines whether a silencer is particularly suited to long range precision applications. Every CGS silencer with the exception of the rimfire and 45ACP silencers were built for military special operations applications which, in the case of precision rifle silencers, requires the maximum amount of precision they're capable of. While a Hyperion for example could be made quieter by notching out each and every baffle, it's not worth the trade off for it's intended role, especially when it's already so far ahead of the pack that it's not even in the same suppresion category.

Last edited:
The last generation Ultra 9 weighs 16.5oz with the accompanying CB flash hider. The brake may be more or less the same. In that case the last generation Ultra 9 actually weighs 1.1oz more than a Hyperion. A Q Full Nelson also weighs more than a Hyperion by 1.5oz, and a SIG SRD 762Ti weighs more by 2.5oz.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Hyperions require the use of the SIG 25 deg barrel shoulder, because they don't at all. Any barrel .735" in diameter at the barrel shoulder or greater using a normal 90 deg shoulder, the vast majority of barrels, the Hyperion will thread right on without any intermediary muzzle device. If you want something with different mounting options then there's the Helios QD which is very nearly as quiet as the 1.8" longer TBAC Ultra 9 (previous generation). A titanium version of it gets released in the third quarter.

I’m not sure how much the flash hider weighs as I haven’t used it but their brake weight a little under 3 ounces if I am remembering correctly.

Interesting... the one at the shop I was at had threads set really deep and a taper before them. Standard 5/8x24 threads weren’t long enough to engage the threads on the suppressor. Maybe it had a different mount on it that I wasn’t aware of.

The last generation Ultra 9 weighs 16.5oz with the accompanying CB flash hider. The brake may be more or less the same. In that case the last generation Ultra 9 actually weighs 1.1oz more than a Hyperion. A Q Full Nelson also weighs more than a Hyperion by 1.5oz, and a SIG SRD 762Ti weighs more by 2.5oz.

Without revealing properietary information it's the same reason that no precision rifle silencer made uses an asymetrical blast chamber when they're really interested in long range precision, projectile influence. Banish silencers, Thunderbeast silencers, CGS silencers, SIG silencers, Q silencers, Area 419 (maybe), AAC, Surefire, Ops Inc, etc all have precision oriented models with symetrical blast chambers. Simply being in a larger size category of silencer or being lightweight isn't what makes something precision oriented, it's the design that determines whether a silencer is particularly suited to long range precision applications. Every CGS silencer with the exception of the rimfire and 45ACP silencers were built for military special operations applications which, in the case of precision rifle silencers, requires the maximum amount of precision they're capable of. While a Hyperion for example could be made quieter by notching out each and every baffle, it's not worth the trade off for it's intended role, especially when it's already so far ahead of the pack that it's not even in the same suppresion category.
Thanks you just made me rethink my purchase entirely..
So the Hyperion weighs 15 oz with the 5/8×24 direct thread setup? I'm getting different numbers as high as 17 oz from what I've researched

The fact you mentioned Sig in that lineup makes me doubt the credibility of your argument. Sig suppressors are not very quiet, they use a really old & basic (and scientifically inferior) close-distance large-number straight-baffle design, and I have never once heard them considered to be “precision rifle cans” by anyone. I’ve heard of a lot of people being disappointed in them after purchase.

I have heard of excellent repeatability and consistency at long range, and group improvement for shooting precision rifles with Dead Air suppressors…So not sure where you’re getting your facts from about Dead Air not being good for shooting precision rifles…

I like CGS cans, but this is sort of detrimental to your cause, IMO. Just saying…

Last edited:
So the Hyperion weighs 15 oz with the 5/8×24 direct thread setup? I'm getting different numbers as high as 17 oz from what I've researched
Don’t…You’ll be happy with your purchase. 👍🏼

I was looking at the same for my first suppressor. I was originally thinking shorter like a regular Nomad or Omega, but wanted more suppression because I already have hearing damage from an ear issue. Long store short ended up buying a regular Nomad L. I almost got the LT but did not because I have some 300 black out ARs under the barrel restriction of the LT.

The last generation Ultra 9 weighs 16.5oz with the accompanying CB flash hider.
A little off there:

Gen1 Ultra 9 CB mode weighs 11.9 and a 5/8-24 CB brake weights 2.12 ounces, for 14.02 net weight with brake. 1/2-28 CB FH weighs 3.7 for a net weight in that setup of 15.6 with FH.

Gen2 Ultra 9 is 1.9 ounces lighter (10.0 oz Ultra 9 gen 2 in CB mode) so with a 5/8-24 CB brake it would be 12.12 ounces net, and with a 1/2-28 CB FB it would net 13.7.

In DT mode both are a little lighter than with a CB brake. CB FH's are heavier than CB brakes because they are longer. A 1/2-28 device is approx 0.35 ounce heavier than a 5/8-24 version of the same muzzle device.

I didn't notice you'd already bought something, I must've missed that when I browsed through, I just replied to the top. If you already have something on order don't worry about it. A current production DMLS Hyperion is exactly 15.1oz.

I’m not sure how much the flash hider weighs as I haven’t used it but their brake weight a little under 3 ounces if I am remembering correctly.

Interesting... the one at the shop I was at had threads set really deep and a taper before them. Standard 5/8x24 threads weren’t long enough to engage the threads on the suppressor. Maybe it had a different mount on it that I wasn’t aware of.

CGS silencers with 5/8x24 and SIG 25 deg taper has even more thread engagement on 90 deg shouldered barrels than SIG or Q silencers do. If the barrel was properly threaded it'll go right on no problem.

Something isn't right with what you're talking about, the threads in the socket of the Hyperion aren't even very deep. I can't think of anyone that makes a 5/8x24 threaded barrel that's less than .600". 5/8x24 threads should be .600-.625 long, in order to not engage the threads in the Hyperion your barrel thread length would have had to have been like .280" which doesn't even make sense. Hyperions fit on all 5/8x24 barrels .735" OD and greater at the shoulder.

The fact you mentioned Sig in that lineup makes me doubt the credibility of your argument. Sig suppressors are not very quiet, they use a really old & basic (and scientifically inferior) close-distance large-number straight-baffle design, and I have never once heard them considered to be “precision rifle cans” by anyone. I’ve heard of a lot of people being disappointed in them after purchase.

I have heard of excellent repeatability and consistency at long range, and group improvement for shooting precision rifles with Dead Air suppressors…So not sure where you’re getting your facts from about Dead Air not being good for shooting precision rifles…

I like CGS cans, but this is sort of detrimental to your cause, IMO. Just saying…

I don't remember saying anything about SIG other than weight of one model and that they're precision oriented, which they are regardless of what you haven't heard. SIG silencers are very quiet on subsonic ammo because that's what they were originally designed for on the LVAW, then because the baffles were MIM those baffle kept being reused in the other silencers in the line to keep costs down because it was determined to be "good enough" for supersonic suppression which is why the designs also are used on precision rifles.

I never said Dead Air wasn't good, I said that a Nomad isn't considered a long range precision use silencer due to the asymetrical blast chamber. It's quiet, and maybe you buy it and you like what you get even with the asymetry. There's nothing here detrimental to my "cause", people asked questions and they got real life answers. Whether you like those real life answers or agree with them based on what you heard is on you. There are reasons certain things are done certain ways.

A little off there:

Gen1 Ultra 9 CB mode weighs 11.9 and a 5/8-24 CB brake weights 2.12 ounces, for 14.02 net weight with brake. 1/2-28 CB FH weighs 3.7 for a net weight in that setup of 15.6 with FH.

Gen2 Ultra 9 is 1.9 ounces lighter (10.0 oz Ultra 9 gen 2 in CB mode) so with a 5/8-24 CB brake it would be 12.12 ounces net, and with a 1/2-28 CB FB it would net 13.7.

In DT mode both are a little lighter than with a CB brake. CB FH's are heavier than CB brakes because they are longer. A 1/2-28 device is approx 0.35 ounce heavier than a 5/8-24 version of the same muzzle device.

Thanks for the clarification that helps a lot. Must've gotten numbers transposed for the combined flash hider weight, sorry about that.

Last edited:

There are other options out there now for TBAC compatible mounts.

The Rusty Nut brake looks like a heavier version of our DT insert. We also have a non-timed CB brake/mount too, it's just not on the web site. Area 419 also has mounts that go to our stuff. We don't endorse the 3rd party mounts but as long as they don't cause a problem, there's no warranty issue.

All the cans in the OP are great cans.

The Rusty Nut brake looks like a heavier version of our DT insert. We also have a non-timed CB brake/mount too, it's just not on the web site. Area 419 also has mounts that go to our stuff. We don't endorse the 3rd party mounts but as long as they don't cause a problem, there's no warranty issue.

All the cans in the OP are great cans.
Now that I'm buying a product from the competition 😉 do you share the belief that the Nomad LT baffle design is inferior for precision shooting?

Reactions: godofthunder
Now that I'm buying a product from the competition 😉 do you share the belief that the Nomad LT baffle design is inferior for precision shooting?
If you're referring to the notch / clip / keyway cut in the aperture, I wouldn't get too worked up over it as a matter of "theory" or "principle."

The proof of a can being good for precision shooting is that it repeats its POI when removed and replaced and that it does not harm accuracy, and this is true on a wide variety of rifles and cartridges/loads. IE, the proof is in the shooting.

Our Ultra 5 has a notch cut in the first baffle and it's accurate. The 7 and 9 don't. Is it something to be wary of while designing a can? Yes. Does it mean the can isn't good for precision? Obviously not. Just have to design it right.

The Nomad-LT baffle design is proprietary. It's a very nice baffle design, IMO. But I have no dog in either fight, as I don't stand to gain or lose any sales or money from helping a fellow member out. I try to stay completely unbiased. 😏

If you're referring to the notch / clip / keyway cut in the aperture, I wouldn't get too worked up over it as a matter of "theory" or "principle."

The proof of a can being good for precision shooting is that it repeats its POI when removed and replaced and that it does not harm accuracy, and this is true on a wide variety of rifles and cartridges/loads. IE, the proof is in the shooting.

Our Ultra 5 has a notch cut in the first baffle and it's accurate. The 7 and 9 don't. Is it something to be wary of while designing a can? Yes. Does it mean the can isn't good for precision? Obviously not. Just have to design it right.
There's A LOT more to the Nomad baffle design and gas flow structure design than just clipping the baffles. You should look it up, someone once posted a diagram of them on here...Can't remember where, though. It's quite impressive. Not overly-sophisticated, but more-so than just cones spaced out with a clip/notch on them.

I should update my earlier post about the dealer who said they had a bunch of issues with the gen 2 ultra 9 recall.
It appears the employee I spoke with didn't have his facts straight, there were no cans requiring re-serialized or super long waits