• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Challenge coin case

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I was presented with a challenge coin for completing 100 operations since our department merger in Jan 2007. As is the custom I need to carry this little bugger with me from now on and I'd like to keep from dinging it up too badly. Can anyone recommend a good protective case I could use to keep it in good shape?

TIA

Re: Challenge coin case

Just carry it in your pocket to give it some character. If (read this as when) you have to pull it out and pound it on a table, you want to present it with determination and a sense of purpose.

If you want to keep it shiny and new, however, you can put it in a coin sleeve used by coin collectors.

YMMV

You only have 3 moves to retrieve and present it or the beer is on you
smile.gif
so pocket carry works best.

I carry two one has sentimental value and is in my wallet, the other is for challenge and trade.

I was hoping to find a clear, hard plastic case that was form fitted if there is such a critter. I don't mind character marks so much, just don't want the enamel to chip out on me.

Check at any coin/jewlery dealer, they should have just what you need for any size coin.

I have bought several over the years for various coins.

Ebay has some listed as well, just search hard plastic coin case. Congrats on the achievement that's a lot of long days and gallons of coffee!

Check the size for half dollar pasteboard / cellophane coin holders. The coins I have seen are in the 1 1/2" size bracket. That's about the same size as an American half dollar.

Phylo, looked for exactly what you need, but I'll be danged if I can find it. TROPHY shop, you know, the places that make those military plaques and stuff have the round or rectangular case you need. Also a TAC-P friend in the USAF out in CO has a coin making business and keeps them on hand.
Me, I have an old four star coin from a few years back that is my drink getter
grin.gif

Don't remember where; maybe PX? Wallets are sold with a clear window flap where your challenge coin goes, kind of like a law enforcement badge wallet.

Congrats! That's a lot of call-outs. You must be tired and need a drink.
grin.gif

Here's an idea: don't go drinking with door-kickers and you won't ever have to produce the coin. Besides, producing it the first time is never the problem, but getting the coin to the table seven beers later, and finding it the next morning, can present quite a challenge.
laugh.gif

Not that I carry coin, as I prefer plastic and to run a tab, but you could keep it in one of those small felt pouches made for cigar cutters. Then you could remove the coin from the pouch while it was still in the pocket, keeping watchful eyes away from calling you on the 'three-move rule".
wink.gif

Take it to a jeweler and have it adapted to attach to a necklace.

Or, if you are prone to carry your badge around your neck have a leather guy make a pouch/slash pocket on the back of your badge holder. The last also works for belt clips and badge wallets. That way you don't have to modify your routine. Gun, Badge, Wallet, Keys, Knife......out the door.

Cheers,

Doc

Phylodog, nice looking coin, i am fascinated by Challenge Coins, i started collecting them several years ago, i especially like the Silver ones, but that got to be quite expensive, most cost like several boxes of ammo, now i just stick to those given to me or i'll buy one once in a while made of Brass or Bronze.