• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chamber and throat cleaning question

Andrew863

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2018
Russellville KY
So just wanting to hear some people's procedures. I have a solid process for the rest of the barrel and good equipment, but always have trouble getting the carbon ring and first few inches of rifling clean. I just put rounds down my new proof barrel and would like to stick to a good cleaning regimen on this barrel. I use #9 and boretech products but will always try something new if there is a better way to kill that hard to get carbon on the first few inches. Usually on my old barrels I would just pull out the bronze brush and knock it out but on this barrel I would like to find better processes or solvents and stick to nylon if possible. First range trip out I did my usual barrel break in and when I got home cleaned the barrel to where my patch will come out spotless but there is still carbon in the first few inches of the barrel. If nothing else I want to get it perfect atleast this time but with nylon and #9 it's not coming out. I do have the boretech carbon eliminator that will be here tomorrow.

I've found the Bore Tech products (C4 and Eliminator) to be the best for carbon and anti-fouling ... but you'll get 8,274 different opinions on this topic. I'm not in the "Don't clean it until it's not shooting" fan club, but to each his own.

Reactions: RRW
So just wanting to hear some people's procedures. I have a solid process for the rest of the barrel and good equipment, but always have trouble getting the carbon ring and first few inches of rifling clean. I just put rounds down my new proof barrel and would like to stick to a good cleaning regimen on this barrel. I use #9 and boretech products but will always try something new if there is a better way to kill that hard to get carbon on the first few inches. Usually on my old barrels I would just pull out the bronze brush and knock it out but on this barrel I would like to find better processes or solvents and stick to nylon if possible. First range trip out I did my usual barrel break in and when I got home cleaned the barrel to where my patch will come out spotless but there is still carbon in the first few inches of the barrel. If nothing else I want to get it perfect atleast this time but with nylon and #9 it's not coming out. I do have the boretech carbon eliminator that will be here tomorrow.
I soak a bore mop in Eliminator or C4, shove it in the chamber, and let it sit.

A friend puts his in a vise vertically, plugs one end, and fills w C4.

About every third trip to the range, I get the gun oil out (rem oil seems to work just fine) soak the patch and run patches through the bore until the patch comes out a light grey. Then a dry patch down the bore and call it good. At least once a month, I will get a nylon brush and #9 and give the bore a mile scrubbing, then go through the the oil and patch procedure mentioned above.

My money gun, an XP 100 in 7TCU probably has at least 5000 or more rounds down the tube and can still put three shots in an inch at 200 meters on a good day using this cleaning method. (Pretty good for a 15 inch barreled handgun)

Why? We felt more rifles were ruined in basic training by over cleaning to please the DI’s then were ever shot out. The DI’s in Infantry training were not quite as tough on the cleaning and we fired the heck out of them on full auto.

Reactions: iceng
I soak a bore mop in Eliminator or C4, shove it in the chamber, and let it sit.

A friend puts his in a vise vertically, plugs one end, and fills w C4.
I’ve tried everybody else’s methods but this has proven to yield the most consistent and reliable results.

• Love
Reactions: 338dude
A bore cam is a great investment. That and monitoring/tracking my velocity has been instrumental in developing my cleaning process.

My process is to run patches with "patch out" through the bore until there is a significant change in the amount of fouling left on the patch. That is usually somewhere between 2 and 4 patches depending on the number of rounds fired. I then let it set for about 10-15 minutes and go into the chamber with a chamber cleaning rod and a bronze brush that is big enough to remove any build up in the transition from the chamber neck to freebore and rotate the brush (fixed handle) about a dozen turns and inspect the area with the bore scope. In my 6mm chamber this calls for either a 7mm brush or 30caliber depending on the manufacture of the brush. I then clean the chamber with a chamber brush and follow up with another wet patch of patch out and 3-4 dry patches and a chamber mop and call it good.

That is my procedure for a few rounds fired or after day one of a two-day match.

The only change to this is at the conclusion of a two match I run patches with patch out through the bore and pack up the rifle for the drive home/hotel. Depending on where the match was or hotel I am staying at that night I let the patch out soak in the bore for the 4-6 hour drive then run a bronze brush through the bore and follow up with the rest of the procedure outlined above.

If you track your muzzle velocity a few times you will know how much and for how long your clean bore velocity will be different than your normal velocity... and you will never worry about carbon rings.

Last edited:
There is some sound advice above. I have not used boretech or wipe-out but many seem to have good luck with them. I have had great luck using the Speedy Gonzalez method with JB or Iosso. Lately I have been using thoro-clean from bullet central. A little scrubbing gets back to bare metal pretty easily. I confirm with a bore scope. The Thoro-clean seems to flush out of the bore a little easier than JB.

It works pretty well. I have had barrels go crazy long life with accuracy using this method. Also, before I had a borescope I was guessing. I had 2 243 Ackley barrels go 2500 rounds. I had one I thought was shot out at 1700 rounds. Then I bought a borescope. The borescope confirmed it was still heavily fouled. I used thoro-clean and scrubbed the shit out of it to bare metal and it went back to shooting sub .5 moa.