• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chamber cleaning rod

Greedus

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2021
USA
Hey there,
Wondering if anyone knows a good short cleaning rod to use to clean the carbon ring. Dewey has a short rod that does not have a spinning handle just for the job, just no information on the caliber size. I don't want to risk pusing too big a rod past the mop end and into the chamber face.
The regular long rod is just that, too long for the job.

thanks in advance,

Just about any cleaning attachments you use are going to be longer than the chamber, so your rod shouldn't be entering. I use a full-sized pistol brass cleaning rod that accepts the standard #8-32 cleaning jag threads, and the Iosso nylon brush doesn't make it all the way into the chamber before I'm at the carbon ring. Same story if I were to use a jag.

A bigger concern is to make sure you get past the ejector, that often protrudes into the same axial line as the bore on rimfire. I just pull the bore guide out when I'm doing the carbon ring, and come in with the cleaning rod slightly angled above the ejector.

This is in a Vudoo, not sure what platform you're working with.

Reactions: obx22
I have this one and like it. The rod is long but this is beneficial for cleaning the chamber of the AR-15 rimfire rifles. It has a non-rotating handle. I also like that the handle is a little larger compared to others. This makes it easier to spin when cleaning the chamber with a nylon brush or patched jag.

I use some oversized Q tips found at Academy sports, and probably online, have a big cotton tip with a slender wooden shaft, strong enough to get the cotton plug snuggly into the chamber, sometimes I use some mini-wire pliers to grip the wooden shaft to push it into the chamber..

Second Longshot231's recommendation for the Bore Tech, have the same kit and it is perfect for getting after that pesky carbon ring.

Hey there,
Wondering if anyone knows a good short cleaning rod to use to clean the carbon ring. Dewey has a short rod that does not have a spinning handle just for the job, just no information on the caliber size. I don't want to risk pusing too big a rod past the mop end and into the chamber face.

thanks in advance,
The dewey is a 22 cal rod

I just picked up a little knob from McMaster Carr I could spin onto one of my old cleaning rod sections:
1706563507444.png

Using it on one of these single rods (already had a kit I bought but never ruse the rods outside of pistol barrels:
1706563579465.png

Are you guys seeing many carbon rings?

They build up quite fast in rimfire. My CZ and 10/22 both get them after a couple hundred rounds. I clean after every outing so they don't get too stubborn to get off. Just do a quick soak (5-10min) with a patch or mop using Bortech C4 and it all comes off. I've heard if they're really old you want to soak longer and spin the mop or take a brush to them.

I clean my barrel and especially the carbon ring every time I shoot no matter what.

Before every match I foul out the barrel with 30rds, then use match ammo to zero.

That gives me consistency I can count on.

Reactions: Birddog6424
My first Rim X barrel seemed to not build up, but the 2nd barrel and my Vudoo barrel get gunked up rather quickly, not sure if I have taken a ring to accuracy degradation yet.
I have pro shot non spinning pistol rods, but I chuck up sections of a portable rod and spin a brush in the area with a cordless drill. I use Rimfire blend instead of C4, makes short work of it.

I do see them; how much they affect performance is debatable, but it’s so easy to clean out that I just do it as baseline. I’ve even gotten in the better habit of sticking a patch into the carbon ring as soon as I unpack the truck, then shower and debrief gear, then spin a nylon brush in the ring and dry patch the bore. My total minutes invested is between five and ten, depending on if I had to go out to the garage to get the cleaning supplies.

I use C4, and clean before any match. I used to put C4 patches down the whole bore, but noticed my groups would be a bit more open when zeroing at first. Now I just push the one carbon ring patch all the way through after it has soaked the ring, wipe down the crown with the back of that same patch, then the nylon brush spin and 2-3 dry patches. I regularly get one-hole cold-bore groups with this method.

Lastly, I use C4 and not Rimfire Blend because I want the lead “seasoning” to stay in the bore. If I was shooting benchrest and cleaning between strings I’d probably use CLR because it takes out everything so easily, but I need consistency for 150 rounds at a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Birddog6424
Hello everyone, thank you for the input. I picked up the Dewey CHR. It is solid ! Certainly doesn't look like a .22 cal though the threads are 8/32. For the price and build quality, it's a winner. My initial concerns were being a bit too zealous and pushing past the mop and hitting the chamber, this doesn't prevent that. So just have to be careful. The fact the handle doesn't swivel is a nice feature. Thanks again,

I have this one and like it. The rod is long but this is beneficial for cleaning the chamber of the AR-15 rimfire rifles. It has a non-rotating handle. I also like that the handle is a little larger compared to others. This makes it easier to spin when cleaning the chamber with a nylon brush or patched jag.

This is the one I ordered a few weeks ago. Works great.

Hey there,

thanks in advance,
The short Dewey rod is .25" in diameter. It will work for cleaning a chamber in a bolt action but will not fit in the bore. The Bore Tech will fit in the bore but it costs a lot more because it says " Bore Tech" on the handle. I bought the Bore Tech because I need to clean the chambers on pistols without removing the barrels. The Gunsmither Tools with the 90° bent brush and mop will also work with Bore Tech C4 and Rimfire Blend.

Fancy chamber cleaning rod?
Not me, applied redneck tech.
Bent a bronze 22 brush to 60 degrees,
tip to bend same length as a 22lr cartridge.
With any section of cheap cleaning rod, the bent tip
fits into the receiver with the bolt pulled back,
then used to scrub the chamber clean with solvent.

91ba1e1e-43b0-4a2d-ac31-bc377969f67b_1_105_c-jpeg.280629

Last edited:
I don't want to risk pusing too big a rod past the mop end and into the chamber face.

I don't really understand your problem, What size rod are you using ?? For my 22lrs I use a solid brass 3-piece that I have polished the joints so there are no sharp edges. I measured it at ca 0.201" and it won't hit the chamber with any jag or mop or brush anyway. I generally go after Carbon with C4 on a loop and let it soak for 1/2-hour or so, then pull the patch on thru the bore. I then hit the chamber with a nylon brush on that same brass rod and pull that on thru the bore too. Usually gets to clean metal, which is the state I start range sessions at. Usually 5-10 fouling shots.