• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chamber issues?

pooch

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2004
Utah
I haven't been on here for awhile so be gentle, and I did use the the search function with no results. I purchased 80 rounds of Nosler Trophy Grade 160 Gr. Partition in 280 AI ammo several years ago and put it in the safe. Problem is, I decided use it and when I chamber some of the unfired rounds, they won't eject but fall out if I tip the muzzle up. Out of the 80 rounds, 39 fall back out. All other factory loads, no problems, rifle has approximately 50 rounds through it. I couldn't find any recalls on these particular lots of ammo. MODS, if this is in wrong forum, TIA please move.

Last edited:
You've identified the problem...

And answered your own question.

Seems like that Nosler ammo is the problem, not your rifle. Solve it by not using that ammo.

Done.
I bet the OP thinks you are a sarcastic dick .

What rifle is this ? Have you measured taken any measurements to compare the Nosler brass to the brass that works fine ?

Reactions: iceng
I think you're being a giant sarcastic dick for pointing out that @nn8734 is a sarcastic dick.

Is this the bear pit ?

On topic. Ammo issue. Ignore it, or just fire it for warm up / practice and reload the brass, or sell it.

Reactions: nn8734
And you're a complete fucking retarded, faggot asshole with minimal-to-no reading comprehension skills but that's not news around here...
1697804584508.png

I think you're being a giant sarcastic dick for pointing out that @nn8734 is a sarcastic dick.

Is this the bear pit ?

On topic. Ammo issue. Ignore it, or just fire it for warm up / practice and reload the brass, or sell it.
Why would it be the pit ? I was pointing out the obvious .

Reactions: iceng
OP, can you get your extractor to grab the round with the bolt out of the rifle ?

What rifle is this ? Have you measured taken any measurements to compare the Nosler brass to the brass that works fine ?
Remington 700, haven't measured the other brass and several other brands work just fine,

Last edited:
Am I the only one who doesn't understand WTF this means?
You and me both. Only reason I'm reading the thread is to try to figure out what this means. @pooch what do you mean the rounds won't eject but they fall out? Are you saying the extractor is not pulling the round out of the chamber but if you tip the barrel up the round slides out of the chamber with the bolt open?

OP, can you get your extractor to grab the round with the bolt out of the rifle ?
tried several times but the extractor won't grab the case. It seems to be just these 2 particular lots of ammo, other brands chamber and eject just fine?
You and me both. Only reason I'm reading the thread is to try to figure out what this means. @pooch what do you mean the rounds won't eject but they fall out? Are you saying the extractor is not pulling the round out of the chamber but if you tip the barrel up the round slides out of the chamber with the bolt open?
"
the extractor is not pulling the round out of the chamber but if you tip the barrel up the round slides out of the chamber with the bolt open?"
Yes, the extractor doesn't catch on the case and the round falls out of the chamber all by itself if I tip the muzzle up. It seems they were sized at the factory too small for the chamber? What is confusing is that other brands of ammo work just fine, even regular 280 Remington that I'm using to fireform cases works fine.

Line them up next to the working ammo and check /compare the extractor grooves.

Do they extract and eject when fired ? Sorry if i missed that part. I have seen brass NOT work when dry cycling, but functions correctly when you press the bang button.

I'm not aware of Remington ever chambering a factory rifle in 289 AI. What kind of extractor is in the bolt? I would be measuring rim diameter and cartridge datum length to rule out the ammo.

Reactions: Shoots 700's
You need to compare the length of your fired cases to the Nosler cases. All 280 AI chambers aren't the same. The legacy 280 AI chamber is slightly longer than the Nosler SAAMI version. If your rifle is a rechambered 280 and the person that chambered it fudged and didn't set the barrel back before he chambered it, your chamber is longer than the legacy 280 AI chamber. This could cause your issue.