• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chamber Length & Trimming Question

drn1234

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Castle Rock Colorado
So I am a little confused on trimming to actual chamber length of the rifle instead of just cutting your brass to book specs.

This is from the sticky 101 case prep.
"To use a gage like this:
1. thoroughly clean your weapons chamber.
2. take a scrap case and trim it WAY back with your case trimmer, say .050" SHORTER than book spec.
3. Seat you plug gage into the case- long.
4.ease this round into your weapon and fully close & lock the bolt.
5. remove the case gently without bumping the gage. It has hit the end of the chamber and been pushed back into the case by the action of locking the bolt.

Measure the overall length of the case, head of the case to end of the plug and note that measurement somewhere obvious & permanent in regards to loading for this particular rifle. It would probably be a good idea to repeat this measurement three times and average all three readings.
Now until this dimension were to change (barrel removal, etc.) trim your brass just short of this measurment, instead off BOOK trim to length specs.

Once we have our cases all trimmed to a uniform length to our specific rifle we now need to deburr the mouth."

So I measured my .260 chamber to 2.060 using the sinclair gauge insert.

Then I measured about 15 or so of my once fired cases.
anywhere from 2.023 to 2.032

So my question is that it states above to trim to slightly under your actual chamber length. But my brass seems to be well under the 2.060 I measured.
So why is my fired cartridge length not longer? Is it because It was only fired once and it will get longer with firings.

Do I trim to an average between the current brass measurements (2.023 to 2.032) to make them all consistent?

Just a bit confused because the book data shows a case length of 2.035. So all of my Lapua brass is well under this already.

Am I doing something wrong. Do I need to trim etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Is you measurements of the once fired brass before or after you resize? I would want to see the measurements after you resize them. I have not done this measurement, but in my research, I have come across that you should trim back .010 to .015 from your measured length. Can anyone verify if this info is correct?

Buy one of the chamber length gauges for you caliper. It has milled upper Ned lower limits on both end. Pretty straight forward.

I'm in the same predicament. My .308 cases are much shorter than what my chamber measures.

Not real sure how to handle it. Trim the cases to the shortest length each time you prep cases and let the brass "grow" at each firing?
My cases may reach their usable lifespan by the time this occurs.

The neck in your chamber is long...Don't sweat it, just keep the carbon cleaned out of it. Trim your brass to be uniform.

I load my stuff in 50 rd. matched batches. If my cases are all under the max length for their given rifle, they all get trimmed to the length of the shortest case in the batch.
This keeps everything as uniform per batch as possible.

A couple guns (most notably 25/06) really grow and when 1 case makes it to max chamber length they all get trimmed back to .020 shorter than max.

A couple other guns hardly grow at all (280AI, 300RUM) and those get a quick trim to the shortest in the batch. These seem to never make it to max length in the life of the cases but both are in tight chambered customs...

Do you guys strive to achieve the min trim length or the max? It seems like the max would be better.

Why? The only reason it would matter is the carbon ring that you have to deal with anyway. Some would say that it's better to have it form well rear of the throat.

The brass must be trimmed to or less than the chamber neck space minus the distance the case will be pushed forward by the firing pin.

The firing pin will push the case forward the shoulder head space minus the case base to shoulder distance.

This turns into a mess with lots of different rifles, so it is best to have a population of brass dedicated to one rifle or headspace all the rifles the same.

So sounds like after resizing measure and group your cases then trim the cases to the smallest dimension and call it good.

So my chamber is so long that I probably will never run into it.

Thanks