• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

chamber pressures increase with suppressor

still_N_29palms

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Somerville, Alabama
Ok I have not reloaded in a while, havent needed too but I am getting back into shooting and reloading. Never used a supressor but I am thinking of getting one for shooting outside Cali. N-Eways. was reading in a Tactical Weapons mag today about suppressors. ( The Science of Silencers pg50)

What I take from the article was that they increase barrel and chamber presures. So in essence if I have a maxed out load ( hot load )in my rifle I increase the risk of a major accident. I have no personal experiance firing hand loads out of sielencers was hoping for guidence here before I made a majior mistake.

Re: chamber pressures increase with suppressor

Work up your loads with the can on, you'll hit pressure signs eariler with it on that without it. You might get a bit more velocity as well due to the higher pressures.

Then shoot with it off to see what your poi shift is like. As long as it's repeatable it's not a problem.

what I was asumeing is accurate then, load for the supressor and adjust for the muzzelbreak. or make 2 seperate loads. But I wanted to be safe and sure....

thank you for the intel.

My accuracy isn't all that different with or without the can. My poi is different but it is repeatable and that is all that I care about. Make a note in your log of the difference once you find your load with the can on, and you should be good to go....or you could go all the way and load two separate loads for with or without the can on. I prefer to just have the one load. 50fps doesn't impact a great deal for my applications so long as it's consitent.

Good luck.