• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing chamber question?

ricky708

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
moorcroft wyo
So I have a 300SAUM well 3 actually 2 that I built and a factory Remington.
If I take a brass from the Remington and resize it it will chamber up just fine in the other 2 rifles but
once fired extraction involves a rubber mallet in either rifle I built.
My question is are my chambers too tight? As long as I use brass only fired in those 2 guns no issues
and their brass is interchangeable but anything fired from the factory rifle locks them up.
I know my chambers are tight I wanted them like that, but are they too tight?

same set of dies for all three RCBS fl sizer dies. I know the factory rifle has a shall we call it "generous" chamber
but once its resized and refired it should be chamber sized correct? Or is the factory chamber so loose that the brass
is toast somehow. Reloads from the factory rifle in the factory rifle have no issues.

Looks like you need to treat each rifle as one and keep the brass the same for each one. I have 2 6BRs that feel the same on a go gage and I have to keep the brass separate. Sucks to have that much extra brass. You could try a FL die from Redding or Forster and see if that helps. Not much you can do about the chambers, or is there.

The custom rifles chambers are tighter than the factory chamber.

FLS a spent case from the factory gun, sharpie it up, and then chamber/extract it from one of the customs. This will show you where it's tight...probably ~1/4-3/8" up from the case head.

Small base dies will make the factory-fired brass work properly in the custom chambers, but I doubt anyone offers a SB FLS die for 300SAUM. You can have one made, however.

My guess is brass ONLY fired in the custom chamber will start to exhibit sticky extraction after several loading/firing cycles. Have you seen this yet? Have you accumulated many loading cycles yet?

I have 5 or 6 reloads on some of it and no issues. I guess I will just have to keep it separate, which does suck because I have a ton
fired from factory rifle and not nearly enough for the other two.
I thought about tearing one down and giving it another .001 or .002 to see if that would work without killing my accuracy. I may do that anyhow
good excuse for a 7mm short mag.