• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Chambering and rechambering same cartridge again

Glock45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
south-central WI, USA
Below is a bulletin(well, I'm copy-pasting the info) we received at work. The bulletin is from State of Florida Dept. of Corrections. I think many of you know this already. BUT. . if some of you are new to carrying a firearm regularly, it's something you should keep in mind.

ARTICLE AS EMAILED TO ME:

THE FOLLOWING TRAINING ADVISORY WAS FORWARDED FROM THE GWINETT COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT (GCPD) – LAWRENCEVILLE, GA

In September of 2011 a GCPD officer was involved in a situation which quickly became a use of deadly force incident. When the officer made the decision to use deadly force, the chambered round in his duty pistol did not fire. Fortunately, the officer used good tactics, remembered his training and cleared the malfunction, successfully ending the encounter.

The misfired round, which had a full firing pin strike, was collected and was later sent to the manufacturer for analysis. Their analysis showed the following: “…the cause of the misfire was determined to be from the primer mix being knocked out of the primer when the round was cycled through the firearm multiple times”. They also sent an additional 2,000 rounds of the Winchester 9mm duty ammunition to the manufacturer. All 2,000 rounds were successfully fired.

In discussions with the officer, they discovered that since he has small children at home, he unloads his duty weapon daily. His routine is to eject the chambered round to store the weapon. Prior to returning to duty he chambers the top round in his primary magazine, then takes the previously ejected round and puts in back in the magazine. Those two rounds were repeatedly cycled and had been since duty ammunition was issued in February or March of 2011, resulting in as many as 100 chambering and extracting cycles. This caused an internal failure of the primer, not discernible by external inspection.

This advisory is to inform all sworn personnel that repeated cycling of duty rounds is to be avoided. As a reminder, when loading the weapon, load from the magazine and do not drop the round directly into the chamber. If an officer’s only method of safe home storage is to unload the weapon, the GCPD Firearms Training Unit suggests that you unload an entire magazine and rotate those rounds. In addition, you should also rotate through all 3 duty magazines, so that all 52 duty rounds are cycled, not just a few rounds. A more practical method of home storage is probably to use a trigger lock or a locked storage box.

FURTHER GUIDANCE:

The primer compound separation is a risk of repeatedly chambering the same round. The more common issue is bullet setback, which increases the chamber pressures often resulting in more negative effects.

RECOMMENDATION:

In addition to following the guidance provided above of constantly rotating duty ammunition that is removed during the unloading/reloading of the weapon, training ammunition utilized during firearm sustainment and weapon manipulation drills, should also be discarded if it has been inserted into the chamber more than twice. This practice lessens the likelihood of a failure to fire or more catastrophic results.

For further information or to submit a topic or question for inclusion in future TAN’s, please contact:

Bureau of Staff Development and Training
501 South Calhoun Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2500

Re: Chambering and rechambering same cartridge again

Good to know as I cycle mine daily, although they rarely make it from weekend to weekend with the same ammo as I shoot what is in the mags on the weekends and then reload from there. I think I am safe but might just rotate through the mag through the week.

Interesting read. Did the recomendations come from Winchester or GCPD?

No more than 5 chamberings for me (roughly one week). After that, it gets pitched in a bucket. Buying an extra box of ammo a year won't kill me...

I agree with EMB2 interesting read, sounds like the dept's recommendation to me.

It seems like if any manufacturer thought that cycling a round more than once or twice was an issue on the primers, they might say something to the rest of the world about the possibility of danger.

The only danger I have heard of with repeated chamberings' would be bullet setback which would cause high pressure, and potentially a kaboom.

This
“…the cause of the misfire was determined to be from the primer mix being knocked out of the primer when the round was cycled through the firearm multiple times”.
I have never heard of, but cycling a round 100 times does seem a bit much.

Isn't it just as likely (possibly more) that of the millions of primers that are made each year, one slipped through inspection that had either no powder, or anvil?
It seems to me you wouldn't be able to tell if the powder was never there in the first place or if it came out due to repeated cycling of the round. If you were Winchester, and were presented a round that FTF in a deadly force scenario, and were told that same round had been re-chambered roughly 100 times the choice seems obvious.

Just call me skeptical.
To be on the safe side I will not cycle my ammo hundreds of time before I shoot it.

I've heard of that before. A lot of LEOs will bring their duty gun home at the end of shift and unload it per their wife's instructions. 4 or 5 days per week for a number of months, I can see how this could be an issue.

So the ammo was issued in February and the incident happened in September...

Anyone see anything wrong with an LEO who may be presented with a life and death situation (like this one) but hasn't shot in 9 months to maintain proficiency?

Of course I am assuming that the are not required to keep "duty" ammo for only on duty and given different ammo to practice with.

Personally I always shoot my carry ammo and replace it with fresh ammo whenever I can.