• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chambering your own barrel.

Bigrederic

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2018
Petersburg Alaska
I am wondering who all here on the forum as a whole has done it?? I have been shooting LR rifles the last 4 yrs, and have had several amazing rifles build by a few talented smiths. I am about ready to have another rifle built, and have been talking with some friends that are like family, and they are trying to convince me to give chambering my own a shot.

Before we go crazy with details on much is involved... I will give you a little background on me. I am a retired USCG aviation machinist and was a QA before retirement and I happened to have a FFA A&P. Before this I acquired my CDL all self taught from book reading and yard time over a summer. I have self learned allot of things and have a silly mechanical background. I own a cheaper lathe ( Grizzly right now) and a older encoded Bridgeport mill I bought before retirement. I have been a car and gun hobbyist since I could shoot and get behind the wheel, I have lost count on the amount of motors I have built... even working for after market parts manufacture to point of representing them at trade shows after I PCSed in the military away from the area the company was located.

So during one of my duty stations, I crazy lucky enough to Work for JGS (The Reamer People) for 4 yrs as a side job and my little family was adopted by the Humbert's while we were there. They will forever be a part of of our history and family.

So fast forward as I was asking again as I have before, about gunsmiths that are customers, as I am looking at having a rifle built. I was told isnt it about time you build your own, and offered a crash course... they started as a gun shop. And now as I sit here I am luck WTF why not... I am already retired at 42, with our home paid off, working on a second city job and retirement... with a recent FFL/SOT approval and thriving business already (I love side gigs). I am actually entertaining this idea of going completely down the rabbit hole because who does anything half assed.

So have I lost my mind by entertaining this idea... it is like stepping over dollars to save dimes in a way, but it seems like so much fun... and as crazy it seems, a nice release from my everyday job when I may need it most.

Last edited:
If money and time are not a problem, then I see no reason not to pick it up as a side hobby. I would never do it for a living though.

Its not hard to chamber a barrel. There is a lot of BS on YOUTUBE and everyone thinks they are a professional gunsmith on that place. Since you already have the machining background you should pick it up pretty quick its not complicated. Also just because someone does it one way and you do it another way doesn't make them right or wrong, there are many ways to chamber an accurate barrel.

I have the time work doesn't absorb....60+hrs a week they take. Love being short... but there is always time for learning

I always looked at some of this stuff as best left to the guys who do it every day.

One, buying (or renting) reamers is not cheap. For one barrel, in particular.

Second, it's one of those skills that if you don't do it every day, your chance of failure increases considerably. And with barrels and reamers being expensive, folks who do barrel after barrel and have the feel and the ears and the 'sense' for the cutting having done it lots and lots... are better than me, the hobbyist who might chamber a barrel in a year. Might.

That said, it's not something a good hobbyist can't do or even master.

Cheers,

Sirhr

If I had access to a big enough lathe I would have already done it.
We have lathes at work but not the correct tooling.
It’s a dream of mine to start cutting my own barrels.
I even have a 260 and 7 saum reamer.

Reactions: 47guy
I have done it multiple times with excellent results. The first time was on a $80 adams & bennett barrel in an old 24/47 mauser action I did in 6.5x55. There are lots of people in here that might try to kill me for saying how I did it (and I am not saying this is the right way!!!!!), But I used a brace & bit to turn the reamer. It shoots consistently sub 1/2” groups at 100yds and my best group with it is 0.165". I was 17 at the time and my dad and I both did a mauser. His is .308 and shoots pretty well too. We did all of the other threading and truing on a piece of junk little chinese combo lathe. I think you should try it yourself considering your experience. Like anything else just go slow, be careful and check your work often.

Edit- I do everything with the accepted fact that I might ruin something (and I certainly have learned lessons the hard way)

Last edited:
Reactions: Atomic_Lobster
You've asked two questions - Who's done it, and Have I lost my mind?

I have, and judging from the regulars on this thread, so have others. It's not that difficult, you sound like you know your way around a lathe, and that the spend is only beginning after you get the machines. As to whether you've lost your mind - if you've got side hustles going on, spinning barrels is no different. Word of warning, it's one thing to do it for buddies for a case of beer or a few dollars in the "Tooling and Consumables Jar". You take real money and friends will become customers, and to your customers, you're another business. Expect to be treated accordingly.

One last point, and this is a peeve of mine. I correctly chamber, thread, and fit barrels to actions. That doesn't make me a gunsmith. If you build a rifle for someone, they'll expect it to feed flawlessly, go bang every time, chamber every fucked up hand load they've got, and shoot .5" bug holes "when they do their part." Great way to ruin a hobby.

Not sure why you're even asking the question...
You have the machining experience (building rifles is all about machining and understanding spatial relationships), you already have the entity and the needed licensing. Plus, ITAR is now a thing of the past for most of us.

What the fuck are you waiting for?

You're in the enviable position where you don't have to worry about making a profit on the work initially- and you won't, because you won't have the procedures tweaked out and the speed needed to do that (with competitive pricing) out of the gate.

Good luck!

I have chambered, modified,etc. My own barrels. I have all the toys for it even a program for my cnc lathe. The first few times many years ago it was fun and I had great results.
That being said I practiced quite a few times on scrap metal and 1 junk barrel.
I would do it again and probably will. For now though I returned to buying shouldered barrels from smiths who have my action dimensions, shouldered prefits for ARC actions, or nut barrels.

For me it became something I felt like took away from this being fun. My schedule is crazy so when I am doing something shooting related I want fun not worry. Now at some point when I burn up the stack of chambered barrels sitting her im sure I will do it again or when I want something odd. Once I retire( I'm 45 and wife wants me to retire now!) It would become something fun.

Do it!

My goal is to chamber my own in the next 2 years. I have zero desire of doing work for others, but I enjoy machining as a hobby. My Bridgeport is mental therapy for me. I don't think I will ever produce "better" work than what's available at the click of a button, but it would be cool to come up with an idea and be able to bring it to fruition.

Anymore, I do more gunsmithing than shooting. I need to clear room for a lathe and get a truck project done, which is my current hangup.

First I would recommend getting a piece of 1 1/4" 12L14 steel. I have a piece I use when starting a new projects just to make sure my programs are correct. Make a couple of trial runs turning, treading and cutting the counterbore. Get comfortable duplicating the required dimensions . Then focus on setting up the barrel correctly. Once you have those two skills the rest is easy. There are a multitude of measuring gadgets you can make that will help close the learning circle. Just remember parallel, perpendicular and concentric.

First I would recommend getting a piece of 1 1/4" 12L14 steel. I have a piece I use when starting a new projects just to make sure my programs are correct. Make a couple of trial runs turning, treading and cutting the counterbore. Get comfortable duplicating the required dimensions . Then focus on setting up the barrel correctly. Once you have those two skills the rest is easy. There are a multitude of measuring gadgets you can make that will help close the learning circle. Just remember parallel, perpendicular and concentric.
I’ve worked with 12L14, cuts like butter but definitely likes to rust.

Reactions: Bigrederic
I chamber my own barrels at home. For me, it seems like ~.5MOA or less is not difficult to achieve with hand loads. I find it enjoyable/rewarding. I'm not retired, but if I were, I'd shoot a lot more, and end up chambering more barrels as a matter of course.

As a hobbyist, I'd help out some friends and family, but I wouldn't get into it as a side-business.

The first rule of fight club is...

The first rule of rebarreling a rifle, is order the barrel 5 months before hunting season.

Do it.

Edit: I found it very rewarding. I’ll never forget the day I shot my first self chambered barrel. It was a fairly well used Bartlein that my mentor had installed on my AW years before. It shot really well then. I was very familiar with his method, which I never really cared for, so I did it my own way. The barrel had a bunch of shank for me to chop off and start new. I was using a shagged Enco lathe. Didn’t seem to matter. I screwed it back into the same AW and took it to the range with my previous load. Fired two rounds for general zeroing, then three 3-shot groups. It shot great, and as good or better than anything I ever paid for. That target hangs over my assembly bench today. I’ve never put another round through that barrel. I jumped straight into another setback of a good shooting broughton on I had. That first one is a personal museum piece for me.

Last edited:
You've got hands on experience as a machinist and your own machines (assuming the lathe is accurate) what are you waiting for.
I'm a machinist of 25 yrs and a shooter all my life but only became interested in competing about 15 yrs ago. Competition makes you realize that barrels are an expendable wear item. Barrel blank $350, gunsmith $250+-, ok $600. But hold on now, he says he's 4 months back logged (which in the gun world means 6 to 8 months). That is what kicked me in gear to do it, patience is not one of my virtues. Fortunately this kind of machining is directly in my wheel house.
If you are good on a lathe, threading, turning, boring, indicating, what are you waiting for. As someone said earlier you will encounter all sorts of gun lore and black magic on the internet, sort through the BS and pick out the nuggets. Square, parallel, concentric and accurate measurements apply to guns same as all other mated metal parts.
Of course I see you're talking about FFL/SOT, you must be wanting to go into the gun business, you don't need that just to rebarrel your rifle. I never wanted to start doing this as a business because the couple of people I knew who did - stopped shooting. Not going to be me. Your thread asks only about chambering but it sounds more like your kicking around building full-on custom rifles, much more to know and fret over for that step, good luck.

I had no machining experience and I started building my own barrels 15 years ago. I do have lots of experience with power tools but not machining experience. Ive built 35-40 barrels now and they just keep getting more accurate with every build.I have a friend that orders barrels and I machine them for him along with my own projects.
I cant believe you havent already jumped in

I've chambered a lot of barrels over the years because it's fun and I like it, and also like the freedom from relying on some other smith's work timeline. Obviously people have different personalities, but I'm a machinist because I enjoy it, and it sounds like maybe you do to.

I think it's a natural thing for you to try, and only you know if you'll like it. It's really not very difficult or tedious to do, although some disagree as you see here.

Reactions: Danny1788
GO FOR IT HAVE SOME FUN, YOU WILL QUICKLY FIGURE OUT IF IT IS FOR YOU !

I've done a couple for myself now. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Some actions are easier than others, so I picked one that wasn't easy to start with. You know, I mean what kinda person takes the easy way out.

I definitely spent more money on doing it myself, but it wasn't about that. Very happy I know how to do it now. Opens up doors to all kinds of stuff in the gun world.

Reactions: Danny1788
^^^^^
Gee
Seems like an advertisement but I don’t see you have a commercial account
🤔

Since this thread came up I have built some spiders for the lathe at work, gotten some needed tooling and have done a few muzzle threads and a couple of action tenons on dead barrels
Waiting on a reamer in I’ll give it a go.

FFB9494C-8019-4649-8549-77BB68CC12A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello, for all the artesanal gunsmiths out there, i can recommend the riffling button method, with the help of barely no tools, only need a press or a good vise, you can really achieve an incredible result with a simple chamber reamer and riffling button combo. Although it seems easy, to get a good result, as for everything in life, you need good quality tools, this is why i wouldn’t recommend buying any of those chinese poor quality tools, just don’t waist time and go straight to quality by visiting HammerButton, this Ukranian based company manufactures top quality chamber reamers and riffling buttons for reasonable prices and has a great customer service that will answer all your questions in the fastest possible way, this and a fast shipping makes the buying decision easy. I will, below, attach pictures of the great results i got. After the process the tools presented no wear whatsoever even having used them multiple times.
If you are considering the button riffling method, HammerButton is the way to go!

Hi,

Yea, I do not see your stay at SH being very successful if you cannot follow the rules in which you clicked that you would follow.
You will need to delete your post and upgrade your account to a commercial account before you can come in and promote your product.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Yea, I do not see your stay at SH being very successful if you cannot follow the rules in which you clicked that you would follow.
You will need to delete your post and upgrade your account to a commercial account before you can come in and promote your product.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Geno C.
Hello this is not my product, i do not work for this company i just wanted to share my experience with their products

Hi,

So you are so satisfied with your experience that you made your sign in name the same as the company name, lol?
Got It....my initial assessment stands....

Sincerely,
Theis

Sadly no. Would have made for great reading I’m sure, as I wait for my slow ass doc

It's quite obvious he is a scammer lol. Post rife with spelling and grammar errors, says he's from France, posts to a Ukrainian website, next he'll be offering you money from Prince Akeem Joffer.

I cut barrels for myself, as I don't want to wait for someone else to do it. It's not crazy, if you can run a lathe, have access and time. I have made some terrible threads that shot fine. Understand it is possible you fuck up a nice barrel. So far I have not had an issue.
Nice to start with an ARC action or someone who gives you tennon prints. Seems to be indicating your bore and making sure your work is concentric to the bore is paramount.

87FD2CBF-B491-4CE6-9D0A-F55F14758430.jpeg

I’m using carbide Er16 lay down threading inserts so to get a decent finish you have to run it pretty fast.
I ran at 1100 rpm this time and it came out really well.
Thankfully the way this hardinge lathe runs threads it’s super easy and not stressful at all.
I could thread at 2000 comfortably if I wanted to.

I’ll video the next set of threads I cut because it’s kinda neat how this lathe operates.