• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chamfer/debur before neck expanding or after?

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Need help with deciding correct order. Specifically I am confused if chamfer/debur should happen before next expansion or not.

my body size die also has an integaral neck bushing...so basically I will be 1) body sizing and over tightening neck first. Then I plan to run the case through an 2) expanding mandrel to get correct neck tension. Then 3) trim the brass followed by 4) chamfer/debur. Is this the correct order? Once fired brass.

Yep, that’s right. There are unusual cases when the order should be changed, such as necking brass down or up to change the caliber, but for normal reloading you have it right: all the sizing steps, including mandrel, then trim, then chamfer/deburr.

Trimming is only strictly necessary if you’re at or near max case length, often takes several firings to get there. However, some people like to start each load with a clean slate, so to speak, so they’ll trim/chamfer/deburr every time.

If you wet tumble to clean your brass, you will generally need to chamfer the inside of the neck afterwards, whether or not you trim the length.

That's the order I go with. Size with neck bushing- mandrel to set neck tension- trim/chamfer/deburr. I use a Giraud, so even if the brass doesn't need a trim, it gets a light chamfer and deburr

Reactions: harry_x1
I figure it's up to you I size then do my neck expanding , then trim chamfer and de burr then clean and primer , powder , and press so you can do it how ever it feels best to you best of luck .

Reactions: harry_x1