• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chamfering the case mouth

Re: Chamfering the case mouth

I use an RCBS VLD chamfer tool on the case prep center for new or fired brass. Otherwise, when case trimming on the Giraurd does it. It doesn't have to be 100% straight, since the bullet does not come into contact with the chamfer.

Barely, both inside and outside of the case neck. Just enough to take off any burs and very slightly chamfer it.

I've been using a Lee chamfer tool with their zip trim, seems to be working okay for me so far.

This is the most consistent tool I have found. It's made by K&M and available and Grafs and at Precision Reloading. It has both alignment features and depth control.

P1040809.jpg

P1040810.jpg

You're just trying to break the sharp edges and facilitate seating of the bullet in a more uniform manner. You don't have to make it a sharp as a pencil sharpener. Over half way through the case neck is a waste of time.

I am reading a kombayotch post and I feel pain and hear rust crack.
I must be learning something new.

I use the old Wilson chamfer:
789334.jpg

How much the inside can be trimmed depends on how much the outside has been trimmed.
The Wilson really screws up the outside with it's steep angle.
To cut enough to get rid of the outside burr, half the case mouth face is used up.

I have started filing off the outside burr with a file.
I hold the case neck to the file at ~ 15 degree angle and pull and twist the case at the same time, like sharpening a technical drawing pencil in 1965.
I can do three pull strokes [with a 1/3 twist] per second, and it takes ~10 seconds. ~30 strokes.
Then the outside bur and gone and there is still plenty of room left on the case mouth face for the inside chamfer.

If the burr is really bad, I first cut it down to size with the Wilson outside chamfer to get closer to the neck.

When loading and trying to be precise, I use 0000 steel wool and spin the case while pinching the steel wool around the mouth. This seems to work very well for me. I tried this after being frustrated with the standard deburring tools (like the wilson posted above). These type tools seem to fold the burr down rather than cut it off unless you are pretty aggresive with them.

To deburr the inside I use the K&M tool and then run a same caliber bore brush wrapped with steel wool in and out of the neck.

Sim

You want to chamfer to take up about 1/3rd of the thickness of the case neck.
You also want the debur on the outside to take up 1/3rd of the thickness of the case neck.

The inside chamfer is the important one. A long taper, virtue of the VLD-style tool, holds the bullet straight as seating is initiated.

I just bought the RCBS VLD tool and it doesn't seem to cut worth a damn. Phone call time metinks.....

I use the Wilson chamfer tool chucked in a drill and held in place in a vise and just touch the trigger quickly on the drill. Seems to get it close enough. I do the same thing on the outside of the case mouth.

Lyman VLD chamfer tool stuck in the RCBS Case Prep center and the RCBS deburring head for same seems to work okay for me... by hand I use the shiny new Sinclair VLD tool with the helical cutter - very slick looking, and very aggressive. I just don't enjoy doing that many by hand anymore.