• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chandler guns...

The Mall Ninja

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
North Pole, AK
So I had the chance to sit behind one of these High dollar stock rifles, and to say the least I was not impressed. I was talking to the owner and he said that he had quite a bit of money invested in it. Giving the rifle a look over it seemed they had taken an SPS varmint, put their one piece base on it, replaced the follower, floor plate, and trigger (with the old remington), i think they even left the original stock on it too, because the stock wasn't heavy enough to be a HSP or a B&C, and it was flimsy as fuck. talking to the guy he even had to provide his own scope or be charged almost double by them for the same one. compared to my 700P, the trigger was a little lighter than my x-mark pro (who would have guessed) and the whole thing was about 5-6 pounds lighter (mine sat in a B&C A3 at the time) with a falcon 4-14x44 on top held on by BO max 50 rings (what can i say i like a heavy sturdy gun). while he had a leupold 3-9x?? on his held on by ring that were a third the size of mine.(not knocking them just pointing out why my rifle was heavier than his) i shot 2 groups with it off of bag rests and to say the least it shot just the same (not the world's greatest marksmen) as mine. i really don't see why people pay big dollars for this trash that they could have done better themselves. I really didn't have the heart to tell this guy he had been taken for a good deal of money, and that if he had done it himself then he would have had a better rifle that fit him. But the one thing that i did tell him was about chandler's reputation, and the fact that as an old logistics Col. he was still moving shit nobody wants. the guy said that he had talked to a few military guys from camp Lejeune nearby, and they didn't have one good thing to say about the rifles chandler makes other than they made good tomato stakes. so if anyone on here hasn't heard about Iron brigade armory, maybe this could fore warn you from getting caught up in buying an expensive MOSTLY STOCK rifle.

Re: Chandler guns...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kahlendrrari</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I had the chance to sit behind one of these High dollar stock rifles, and to say the least I was not impressed. I was talking to the owner and he said that he had quite a bit of money invested in it. Giving the rifle a look over it seemed they had taken an SPS varmint, put their one piece base on it, replaced the follower, floor plate, and trigger (with the old remington), i think they even left the original stock on it too, because the stock wasn't heavy enough to be a HSP or a B&C, and it was flimsy as fuck. talking to the guy he even had to provide his own scope or be charged almost double by them for the same one. compared to my 700P, the trigger was a little lighter than my x-mark pro (who would have guessed) and the whole thing was about 5-6 pounds lighter (mine sat in a B&C A3 at the time) with a falcon 4-14x44 on top held on by BO max 50 rings (what can i say i like a heavy sturdy gun). while he had a leupold 3-9x?? on his held on by ring that were a third the size of mine.(not knocking them just pointing out why my rifle was heavier than his) i shot 2 groups with it off of bag rests and to say the least it shot just the same (not the world's greatest marksmen) as mine. i really don't see why people pay big dollars for this trash that they could have done better themselves. I really didn't have the heart to tell this guy he had been taken for a good deal of money, and that if he had done it himself then he would have had a better rifle that fit him. But the one thing that i did tell him was about chandler's reputation, and the fact that as an old logistics Col. he was still moving shit nobody wants. the guy said that he had talked to a few military guys from camp Lejeune nearby, and they didn't have one good thing to say about the rifles chandler makes other than they made good tomato stakes. so if anyone on here hasn't heard about Iron brigade armory, maybe this could fore warn you from getting caught up in buying an expensive MOSTLY STOCK rifle. </div></div>

Im a Marine from Camp Lejeune and in a Scout/Sniper Platoon. We talk shit about their rifle. Im currently deployed and the platoon has, I think 6 XM-3's that they built. Needless to say no one in the platoon likes it. Im surprised that the Marine Corps even wasted money on that shit. The rifle is too damn light and theres nothing good about it. All of us stuck with the M40 and nothing all. Some chose the MK11. But all in all that rifle is crap and they are crap. No one has ever or will ever do business with them.

Funny... I had heard Chandler was making or had made Sniper Rifles for the Corps and inquired about it here a few months ago... I nearly got my head ripped-off for the mere suggestion of such a thing! Not that they're anywhere near the quality of the rifles made "By Marines, For Marines" but I'm feeling a little redemption.

I own a Chandler and mine has lived up to my expectations. It is highly accurate and hits the same spot on the paper from range trip to range trip. I also own an Ed Brown Marine Sniper in .308 and the Chandler is demonstrably more accurate than that rifle.

Mine has an A5 stock and is actually a "Chandler Sniper". I think the OP must have handled a different rifle they work on - I think they upgrade Rem 700 PSS's and then would leave the original Remington stock on it.

I am not a Scout Sniper so I haven't dragged mine through an alley in Baghdad --- but I have been pleased with it since I bought it.

I don't understand all of the animosity towards that company but they were easy to deal with during my transaction.

Later -

I would guess 90% of the people who currently own IBA rifles think they're great, and 70% of the people who don't own them think they could build a better one themselves for less money. I've never shot one, so I don't know either way, nor do I care to criticize what others spend their money on.

Reactions: Chui

Man I had to take a look at their website and could not believe the cost on everything!! I fail to see how someone could charge another 40-50% more than the best smiths in the business. I seriously doubt you could see measurable performance differences between one of their builds and something like a top end rifle from GAP, Patriot, Terry Cross etc....well maybe you could but it would not be a positive difference.

The other thing I noticed is the description of work done does not really show the details of what your getting, just vague stuff like "receiver threads chased".

Also what good would it do it weld the magwell to the receiver? They sell it as a reliability issue but Im still trying to figure that one out.

For the price you guys are paying for 1 gun from them, I can get 2 custom made guns for that price and have them shoot just as well or even better than their guns.

IIRC from what I've read here on this forum I think they send off their barreled actions to Hart or some place else to have the work done.

Off Topic for a second. USMC Grunt, I wouldn't have happened to have seen you working out in 2/9's gym over in country would I?

I've shot a chandler rifle and it shot very, very well: 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards which was all we had available to us at the time. Alongside it was an Accuracy International AWP and a Steyr SSG PIIK. All of them were 1/2 inch rifles though the Steyr was more difficult to control due to it's light weight.

I like what Norm has done - develop a "brotherhood", if you buy into what he has done. The books "Death from Afar" helped that immensely and I credit him for it.

However, I'm under no illusions that his rifles can be matched for less coin. I don't know what Norm's pricing structure is like (wages, price of components, hours to complete, etc.) and it's not worth my investigating.

My first build will go to GA Precision; this was reached after reading an article in SWAT magazine in 2006, I believe, and then researching his work online and at SHOT in 2006. Due to extenuating circumstances only does he not have my receiver.

That said, I wish IBA all the best. I rather like having something "other" than "those in the know" and my GA Precision built SPR should make a few boys wonder if they made the proper decision... Brotherhood or not the proof is always in the pudding.

Government agencies go out of their way to spend every cent they have in a current year's budget, or they worry they'll get less the next year because they've now shown they can get by on less. I've seen a lot of perfectly good, less than one year old, stuff needlessly dumped and replaced.

I don't know anything about this company, but some agencies may think it just peachy to pay these prices. And consumers often buy something, at any price, because agency "X" uses them.

Just some thoughts that may explain what seems to contradict common sense.

There are a lot of people pictured firing IBA rifles on the deathfromafar website that DON'T look like money-flushing idiots.

The rifles are pricey but the disdain for IBA on this forum appears to be deeper than just "they are high priced".

Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: Chui

Well, customer service is said to be "poor" with both Sig and H&K yet there is no need to rain fire upon them due to it. I understand building contract rifles first, too. When I send George my action if it takes him 6 months or 8 months I'm okay with that. If he tells me that there will be a two year wait I'll continue putting aside coin such that I can pay for it when I send it.

I've met Norm and Rocky and they seem to be very pleasant. I also have a friend who spent a mint on a Chandler - I think about 5 grand in total. He hasn't shot it and I haven't seen the actual rifle but I've seen photos of the same config online. For the money he could have sent his Remington 700 to George and GA Precision. Since he didn't inform me twhat exactly he was going to do I did not inform him until months later when he informed me what he had done. I think he's still severely pissed at me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chui</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot a chandler rifle and it shot very, very well: 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards which was all we had available to us at the time. Alongside it was an Accuracy International AWP and a Steyr SSG PIIK. All of them were 1/2 inch rifles though the Steyr was more difficult to control due to it's light weight.

I like what Norm has done - <span style="color: #FF0000">develop a "brotherhood</span>", if you buy into what he has done. <span style="color: #FF0000">The books "Death from Afar" helped that immensely and I credit him for it.</span>

However, I'm under no illusions that his rifles can be matched for less coin. I don't know what Norm's pricing structure is like (wages, price of components, hours to complete, etc.) and it's not worth my investigating.

My first build will go to GA Precision; this was reached after reading an article in SWAT magazine in 2006, I believe, and then researching his work online and at SHOT in 2006. Due to extenuating circumstances only does he not have my receiver.

That said, I wish IBA all the best. I rather like having something "other" than "those in the know" and my GA Precision built SPR should make a few boys wonder if they made the proper decision... Brotherhood or not the proof is always in the pudding. </div></div>

What brotherhood?, his own maybe?.........all he did for year was hang around Stone Bay, take some pictures, collect some papers like log books, after action reports, awards, etc and post them in his books. Is there any real knowledge in his books?....No, there's not!, you could do the same with the right pieces of paper.

Like I said before all he's been doing is trying to make evrything that the Corps makes look like crap because his is better....yeah right!!!

And let's not even talk about his prices!, what's up with that shit???, how is it possible that his guns are like double of what others offer with the same components or better?

And no, it is not ok that he was making "contract" rifles first, customer service, maybe? If he tells you "hey there Jody your shit's gonna take me two years" and you agree it's ok, but if he doesn't that's not cool at all.....

My opinion...

I placed my order in November 2006. They told me when I made the order that there is a waiting list. It says (at least it used to say) right on their website that military and LE orders are 1st and go ahead of civilian orders. I guess since that didn't turn out to be a lie people don't like it.

Some of you are ridiculous: You want your rifle delivered before a rifle that the US military ordered? Hmmm - I don't mind waiting a little longer in that circumstance.

Also, when I got mine it came with just about everything - storm case with the rifle in it and a shitload of tools including a torque wrench.

I guess I got totally ripped off... well, I wasn't feeling too bad the last time I was at Quantico and used it to bang a 10" steel plate round after round from 600 yards and further on each shot. I also didn't feel ripped off when I used it to kill 3 deer in about 6 seconds across a field in Maryland this past December. My freezer is full of meat and I enjoyed using that rifle to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of you are ridiculous: You want your rifle delivered before a rifle that the US military ordered? Hmmm - I don't mind waiting a little longer in that circumstance.

Also, when I got mine it came with just about everything - storm case with the rifle in it and a shitload of tools including a torque wrench. </div></div>

Waiting 2 years for a rifle is crazy. If his business is that good (were it takes 2 years to get a rifle) then he needs to expand his company. Remember theres people out their that save and save bustin their ass to buy a custom rifle and 2 year wait is out of the question.

With the prices they have you paid for the Storm case and the shitload of tools that came with it. Remember nothing is free the case and tools were figured in the price of the gun.

It makes since that Hart does all his machine work. If it takes 6-7 months at hart then another 6-7 months at his shop along with the wait of the Mcmillan stock theres your 2 years! Just call him and ask for a Broughton barrel then see what he says?

I ordered mine in late November 2006 --- it was in my hands in January 2008.

I know the tools were not free and neither was the storm case. I guess if I added it all up and itemized it all I could have saved by shopping it all. I didn't want to do that. I wanted a quality rifle and everything that goes with it. That's exactly what I got. No muss - no fuss.

M700 REMINGTON ACCURACY TUNE UP (Master)
Master Tune Up for Remington M700 PSS, LTR or Varmint Synthetic Rifles with HS Precision Stocks ONLY. All McMillan stocked rifles are quoted individually after the weapon has arrived and been inspected. If you have any questions please email us.

Master Tune Up [Short Action, 1" Mount Price Shown - Add $20 for 30mm - Add $45 for Long Action]
Includes all features of the Basic Tune Up (Shown Below) plus installation of the IBA Tactical Steel Trigger Guard and titanium barrel pad forward of the recoil lug. The Tactical trigger guard replaces the alloy sporter guard making the rifle more resistant to damage due to field combat/tactical conditions. It also assists in maintaining "Battle Sight Zero" [BZO] as it anchors the receiver firmly in the bedding. The titanium barrel pad positions the barreled action in the stock for consistent removal and re-installation without shifting the BZO. Note: Stock must be routed and bedding material (Titanium Devcon ) applied. The entire weapon is re- parkerized in dark gray for added durability.

Work Performed:
Perform "LTI" Inspect Headspace, Bore Erosion and all Trigger Parts

Chase all threads on the Receiver

Recrown Muzzle with diameter of Bore for more consistent shots

Polish Feed Ramp, fit Magazine Box

Clear Aluminum Bedding Block to allow proper Receiver / Bedding contact

Epoxy Sling Swivel Studs to prevent loosening

Re-paint Barrel Channel to help eliminate Oils and Solvents from penetrating the Stock

Disassemble, Clean and re-lubricate all trigger parts

Set Trigger Pull to 3 3/4 lb's, Set Sear Engagement and Overtravel and re-seal screws

Install HK 3/16 torque bolts. Torque set rifles provide shot to shot consistency

Install IBA One Piece Target Mount (20MOA of Built in Elevation)

Install/Re-install customer scope and boresight

Test Fire and rezero for 100 yards

Completely Clean and lube all moving parts

IBA Customer - $1050.00

If you guys really look at whats being done thats not alot of work for almost 1100.00 dollars

I have an M40a3 that I had ordered from Texas Brigade Armory shortly after I got back from my first deployment. I waited a year and a half for the rifle. Mike does the same thing whereas his work with Police rifles come first. Thats fine with me. I paid half of what you guys paid for your Chandler and it will shoot the same or better! I could shoot the same deer and shoot the same yard line and feel the same as you do.

Also since some of you guys like to throw away your money like that, throw it my way so I can finish my M70 sniper and M40a1 projects!

USMC Grunt --- those TBA rifles do look nice. I am sure it shoots as well as my rifle. Actually, if I just wanted a rifle to kill deer I could have spent $347 on a plastic Remington 770 at Wal-Mart.

Yes true if I did want to kill deer I could buy a piece of shit gun and shoot deer. But I dont hunt though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It makes since that Hart does all his machine work. If it takes 6-7 months at hart then another 6-7 months at his shop along with the wait of the Mcmillan stock theres your 2 years! Just call him and ask for a Broughton barrel then see what he says?</div></div>

Building a rifle can include parallel processes. When you send the action and barrel to Hart, order the MCM stock. If each takes 6-7 months .... then 6-7 months after the project start you should have both arriving. If you don't order the stock until you get the barreled action back, your process is broken.

USMC Grunt --- If you ever were to hunt groundhogs on the east coast you would change your tune. It is, by far, the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: getula72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USMC Grunt --- If you ever were to hunt groundhogs on the east coast you would change your tune. It is, by far, the most fun you can have with your clothes on. </div></div>

Im not saying that I wouldnt hunt or anything like that or was I trying to sound like an ass when I said I dont hunt. Id like to hunt but I dont want to deal with the dead animal after that.

I got my Chandler sniper #237 few years ago , it was a M40A3 300Wm with an NXS 3.5-15x50 , this SWS is very well made , rock solid , shoots very accurately subMOA , it is pricey , that's true , but I'm quite happy and satisfied by this boomstick.

Also , during the build up I hav the chance to get in touch with Norm and his father many times , they were always very friendly and collaborative , nowday we are friends and Norm , when travelling in Italy , is often my guest .

if someone cannot afford to buy IBA stuff , or if there are people like me liking throwing their money in IBA stuff I do not see why there are people that can care about it.

just my 0,2 €urocents ,
PP out

I had a pretty good experience with IBA. I ordered my Chandler Sniper in March 2004, and had it in hand by November 2004. 5,000 rounds later, its still a tack driver. I have since purchased a GAP, and had one factory rifle extensively modified by GAP. Both rifles are also tack drivers. Is any one more accurate than the others? Not that I can tell. The waiting time forthe GAPs was about the same or longer, because of waiting for the MCMillan Stocks. I don't know what Chandler's current pricing is, but the rifle was a little more expensive than the GAP. My only complaint about the Chandler is the so-called man-o-war finish. Solvents have disolved the finish near the muzzle. The same solvents do not affect the teflon or ceracote on either of my GAPS.

James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: getula72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USMC Grunt --- If you ever were to hunt groundhogs on the east coast you would change your tune. It is, by far, the most fun you can have with your clothes on. </div></div>

Im not saying that I wouldnt hunt or anything like that or was I trying to sound like an ass when I said I dont hunt. Id like to hunt but I dont want to deal with the dead animal after that. </div></div>

USMC Grunt --- no problem, I wasn't passing judgement: just making a friendly comment.

I hunt them on farms where they are a nuisance and on a few occasions the neighboring farmer has asked me to shoot his as well. The coyotes (yeah we have them in MD), fox, and buzzards deal with what's left of the groundhog. Shooting them with a 125 grain .308 Speer TNT makes a splashy mess of 'em to be sure. They look like they were dipped in a blender after they are hit and death is instantaneous.

I don't know how many are in NC - I don't think they like sandy soil (but I know NC is a big state with plenty of terrain and soil types) but if you try it once you may find yourself with a new obsession. I have 4 sons and the oldest is 5 so I don't get to hunt as much as used to. By the time my boys get older I guess I'll be holding the binoculars and they'll be behind the rifles...

Email from Norm Chandler to me on 4/12/09:

I just re-read everything on this post. Now I'm a little irritated. I'm going to state the following, feel free to post it. Actually, I'd prefer that you would post it for me as I don't wish to go back and forth. I simply want to state my points and that's it. Let me know either way.

Iron Brigade Armory was started in 1977 but not incorporated until 1994. Since then, IBA has built or upgraded approximatley 2000 rifles. 25% of those are Chandler Snipers. Since there are only about 10 people making statements on this post, which leaves about 1990 others, it's apparent to me there are very few "Unhappy" people. Granted not everyone is a keyboard commando.

Life is tough these days with finances and overall hatred towards others. I'm dissapointed in some of the statements and erroneous claims I have read. However, I'm not surprised. The intent of IBA is to build the best rifle possible and make an honest living. So far we have been successful in both. For those that know us and have a dialogue, you understand. For those that don't know us, and judge us, shame on you.

The statement about the XM-3's being bought by the USMC is false. Those rifles were donated to the USMC at the agreement and ultimate direction of General Mattis (USMC) via DOD/DARPA. DARPA contracted IBA to build those rifles as a baseline to establish the future capability of sniper rifles and specific optics/lasers. 3 years ago, when the contract was complete, IBA delivered (54) .308 rifles to the USMC with suppressors and Night Vision units attached. Those are still the only 54 rifles the USMC has with both suppressors and night vision units, to my knowledge. It's unfortunate that every military sniper rifle does not have both of those capabilities "Across the board". It increases war time capability and although it's not measurable, it saves lives.

The statement about being able to buy 2 rifles for 1 Chandler Sniper, I challenge that person to do it, with optics, in the hard case and all collateral equipment. Then, if/when you bring me the two rifles, I would like to sling those two, and the CS I donate to the cause, across the Wal Mart parking lot. Then we'll shoot them back to 1000 yards to see if they work. Bring them on.

I will close by saying that I do not intend to reply or respond to any further postings. If anyone wishes to speak to me or my Father we can be reached at [email protected] or [email protected]. I ask any of you to copy all email's to [email protected] as she aids in "All" daily operations.

Respectfully,

Norm Chandler III
IBA Vice President

Hmmm --- no comments. I expected more from people so sure of themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: getula72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm --- no comments. I expected more from people so sure of themselves.</div></div>

Hmmm, I see the softball being lobbed down the center of the plate but feel if I swing I maybe hitting a grapefruit in disguise.

My Spidey sense is telling me to swing on outta here instead.
smile.gif

hulk%20vs%20spidey.jpg

I see a lot of people commenting as though the builder of the rifle really matters when it comes to accuracy. I would bet my left nut that a GAP, Terry Cross or Patriot built gun is just as accurate as a Chandler. At the end of the day it is the person behind the gun that decides how the rifle shoots. Hell, an out of the box AI is just as good.

If Chandler rifles are such accurate rifles then where are they at matches? Hmmmmmmm, I don’t see them. My guess is most shooters know it is better to spend the money on ammo and training than an overpriced rifle.

I guess I look at it like this…. The majority of people who purchase a Chandler are buying it under the assumption that it was built with USMC Sniper Magic and will shoot like a champ regardless of you level of training. It is the same people who buy the “premium” bottled water as apposed to the Walmart bottled drinking water that is a fraction of the price but comes from the same place. It is all marketing.

Cowboy Bravo has actually made the exact correct argument, even though he was trying for a different point. The answer is, no matter what rifle you buy, for whatever reason is right for you, that is the right rifle. It is nobodies business in the end but yours, so go out and shoot.

Don't ya have to have been a Marine Sniper in order to possess Marine Sniper Magic ?

spidey.jpg

Or is Marine Sniper Magic transferable... does it rub off. Can you get Marine Sniper Magic by talking about Marine Snipers, or can someone simply rent said Magic ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't ya have to have been a Marine Sniper in order to possess Marine Sniper Magic ?

spidey.jpg

Or is Marine Sniper Magic transferable... does it rub off. Can you get Marine Sniper Magic by talking about Marine Snipers, or can someone simply rent said Magic ?

</div></div>

Black Market. I saw a dude behind the Kingsville Liquor Store selling all sorts of magic... SEAL magic (in the form of hair gel), Jarhead Sniper Magic (pill form), Army Sniper Magic (Suppository) and Air Force Sniper magic (Tampon form)

no offense to "old" norm but he better think twice about flinging people's property around a walmart parking lot, someone might get hurt "hint hint"

I was planning on ordering a c=Chandler Sniper Rifle the first few months of my last deployment. I was lucky enough to find on used on gunsamerica.com for 3500$ It was the rifle and the pelician case. I've not fired it much but so far it cuts one hole at 100M with USO glass. My 2 cents are if you want it buy it! If you think it's overpriced don't buy it! Being a 11BB4 i could care less about Chandlers life story.... If you don't want to wait for custom guns look for used guns bought on impulse barely used up for sale on gunbroker.com or gunsamerisa.com.

I see a swing and a miss: could be that he's intentionally walking the batter to first base before deciding to end the inning?
grin.gif

I refer you to the always subtle Mike Lau, page 72 of his book, where he comments "Norm Chandler kneeling...." and page 141 where he wites in the caption "Norm Chandler is looking at the camera from behind."
whistle.gif