• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chandler's Iron Brigade Armory now closed?

MARVIN GARDENS

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
Hi. I was researching my next bolt gun purchase and noticed the IBA website is gone. I have been referred by many to GAP and I will likely go that way or buy an AI rifle. I don't expect to hear much in the way of wails of sorrow here if they have gone out of business. I owned one years ago and it was a nice rifle. Several friends who are currently tactical officers use IBA rifles owned by their departments. So much for the warranty. (-;

Anyone know what happened?

Best regards.

Bob

It looks like Roy Chandler passed away on Dec. 24,2015 and the business was shuttered after that.

Have Hart Barrels spin you up a barreled action and then drop it in a MCM Stock, Instant IBA Rifle... they did not do the machine work anyway, Hart did it, they just bedded them in a stock

Reactions: jducos
Have Hart Barrels spin you up a barreled action and then drop it in a MCM Stock, Instant IBA Rifle... they did not do the machine work anyway, Hart did it, they just bedded them in a stock

Thats funny / yet sad cause they always portrayed that their rifles were made with unicorn tears and magic pixie dust, even got the marine corp to buy some expensive xm-3's.

Interesting stuff about Hart doing all their work.. never would have guessed that by visiting their website..I'm embarrassed to to say I never knew much about them,and their shop is only 1 hr south of me..

I am at a loss, Roy was a good friend of mine and I am just hearing about his passing. Too many deployments ! Yes the actions were sent to Hart for barrel installation and then returned to IBA. The stocks were bedded by an RTE armorer and the scope mounts were fitted by Norm. Don't remember who did the black oxide finish. Nothing real fancy but they shot well.

Sad to hear about his passing. I have an IBA rifle I traded my buddy for, it does shoot very well.

Back in 2000 IBA built my 30-06. I took all my parts to their shop since I was stationed at Camp Lejeune at the time.

Mine didn't go to Hart because I provided the barrel, and the barrel work was done locally in Jacksonville. It's still a great shooter.

Back then there were not nearly as many builders of hardened rifles as there are now. They did an outstanding bedding job. Nowadays the chassis systems are kind of taking over the scene.

My 30-06 with one of the first load workup targets I did with it at Flatwoods range near Jacksonville.

Y0YDbTx.jpg

More recently, still shooting great,

rhYk1Pd.jpg

It's always sad to hear of a fellow Marine passing, but I'm not shedding any tears in this instance. I stopped by their shop, after calling, in 2004 and I was met with a less than welcoming attitude. After a short conversation with one of the Chandler's outside, I very quickly decided to never own anything connected to them.
I never understood why they thought their rifles were such hot shit. But, who the fu#% am I. I'm sure others on here have better opinions of IBA, but that's my .02 on them.

Hi. I was researching my next bolt gun purchase and noticed the IBA website is gone. I have been referred by many to GAP and I will likely go that way or buy an AI rifle. I don't expect to hear much in the way of wails of sorrow here if they have gone out of business. I owned one years ago and it was a nice rifle. Several friends who are currently tactical officers use IBA rifles owned by their departments. So much for the warranty. (-;

Anyone know what happened?

Best regards.

Bob

I've known COL Chandler for quite some time, I have one of the last rifles that he made. I believe his family has taken over his affairs and the business. After his brother passed away, his health hasn't been the best. My wife and I went to visit him back in 2016/2017 time frame and he didn't look in the best of health. If you knew COL Chandler reach out to his son and he will assist you in getting in touch with him.

They are good people and will be missed.

Mc

Indeed, Rocky has passed away. He was my dearest friend when he died. I don’t know about Norm Sr., but the rifle they built for me is superb.
They were as good as Rocky’s writings 😁🤣😂

The rifles they sold through DARPA were 1-inch shooters, suppressed and in the dark, 10 inches at 1,000 yards. Better than decent, yes?

IBA
Hi,

What do you mean by "Sold through DARPA"?

DARPA is not in the business of selling products.

Sincerely,
Theis
IBA put on a demonstration at Quantico, and after demo, DARPA authorized purchase of (I think) 65 systems. The purchase, in my words (my words) went through DARPA. You, clearly, know more about it than I. And I was not there.
Kind Regards,
MB

I am at a loss, Roy was a good friend of mine and I am just hearing about his passing. Too many deployments ! Yes the actions were sent to Hart for barrel installation and then returned to IBA. The stocks were bedded by an RTE armorer and the scope mounts were fitted by Norm. Don't remember who did the black oxide finish. Nothing real fancy but they shot well.
Rocky was my dearest friend. He always will be. He took a portion of me when he crossed over. I have his custom-built rifle in .300 Weatherby. He convinced me to buy an IBA rifle in .308. He was right (as he generally was) and I was smart enough to listen to him.