• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Change of Address Question

TXBRASS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2009
Shiner, TEXAS
I submitted my paperwork for a suppressor about 4 months ago. I unexpectedly had to move and have since changed residences. Same town, mailing PO Box, and zip, but new street address. How to I update my application to reflect my new address? Will this further delay the deal significantly?

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks....

Can you get the stamp at either the old physical address or the same PO box?

If yes to either, sit tight and as soon as the stamp shows up send in a 5320.20 for change of physical address. I had to do this with one of my items.

If no, you cant get the stamp when it shows up, call and speak to NFA branch and let them know and they can change it. Might have to speak to your examiner as i dont believe the clerks who answer the phones can change stuff like that. The way examiners want you to do this can vary from what I understand.

Since you have the same PO box, keep in mind the stamps will show up at your dealer's shop, not your PO box. I made that mistake and was eagerly checking my PO box when the time was near. When your dealer gets the stamps he'll call you to come get the items and will give you the forms then. The NFA section won't know anything about your change of address until you tell them, and you won't risk missing delivery of the paperwork because it doesn't come to you anyway.

My advice is don't do ANYTHING that might confuse the process once it's begun. Wait for them to tell you something needs to be corrected so you don't risk getting shuffled to the bottom of the pile somehow. This isn't supposed to happen, but I bit my tongue and didn't even inquire if I'd forgotten to send in one of the required forms so as not to interrupt anything.

I agree you just send them the proper form after you get the item and the paperwork back.

I completely missed it was for a Form 4 for a can. Yea just wait till your dealer gets your form 4 back and then submit a 5320.20 for change of address.

I completely missed it was for a Form 4 for a can. Yea just wait till your dealer gets your form 4 back and then submit a 5320.20 for change of address.
You do not need to complete a 5320.20 form for a change of address for a suppressor. This is a common miss-information that many people think a form is necessary for a suppressor. If you read the form closely it is only for other class 3 items other than suppressors. For a change of address for a suppressor, the instructions are on the back of the form 4. I don't know why people don't read the instructions on the back of the form 4. In the case of a suppressor and an address change, all that is needed is to inform the ATF in writing. The address is also given on where to send the written memo or letter. It is that simple and no forms are necessary. I hope some people will look more closely at these documents and quit spreading erroneous information.

To the OP, I agree and don't do anything at this time. Than when you have the suppressor and the form 4 tax stamp in hand, notify the ATF in writing of the address change. Read the back of the form 4 for instructions as I indicated above. Good luck and enjoy.

For a change of address for a suppressor, the instructions are on the back of the form 4. I don't know why people don't read the instructions on the back of the form 4. In the case of a suppressor and an address change, all that is needed is to inform the ATF in writing. The address is also given on where to send the written memo or letter. It is that simple and no forms are necessary. I hope some people will look more closely at these documents and quit spreading erroneous information.

To the OP, I agree and don't do anything at this time. Than when you have the suppressor and the form 4 tax stamp in hand, notify the ATF in writing of the address change. Read the back of the form 4 for instructions as I indicated above. Good luck and enjoy.

EXCEPT the ATF is NOT accepting written letters for address changes anymore for anything. They all HAVE to be on the 5320.20. This was a change(albeit not widely published) last summer.

NFA no longer taking letter notifications of intrastate moves...
post 13 has a copy and paste of what the guys returned letter stated.

I will agree though that the 5320.20 in its current form doesnt make sense for this requirement, but it IS what the ATF wants you to do now. If they are going to make changes like this they need to update their forms(maybe they have and are just waiting until they run out of the current paper forms to make the switch over, I dont know).