• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing changeing a chuck

Re: changeing a chuck

Cover the bed ways under the chuck with ply wood (incase the chuck falls).

Loosen the cams behind the chuck (don't know that type but probably quarter turn left), then use a dead blow hammer(large), to give the chuck itself a solid whack on the side.

Should do it.

I have a 9972Z.

Remove the two cap screws and clamps from the inboard end of the chuck first. The chuck then unscrews. It has nornal right-hand threads so the top of the chuck needs to spin towards you if you stand in the operating position.
You will notice three holes in the spindle inboard of the cap-screw holes. It would help to buy a wrench to fit these.
Using this wrench, or not, and chucking a socket in the jaws while turning the socket with a breaker bar should get it loose.

http://members.cox.net/friesen2/chuck.JPG
http://members.cox.net/friesen2/wrenches.JPG

I will look for a link to where you can get the wrenches.
The wrench on the right will not be needed until you decide to adjust the headstock bearings or need to re-pack them.

thanks man i've been looking for wrenches for a while just never new where to find them and trying to make them wasn't happenin either , im not quite that good yet.

thanks again

Glad to help.
Those with more experience may have a better method.
This is how I have done it.

BTW....
As you add lube to the headstock spindle, over time you will notice the headstock leaking the lube more and more.
It's not a bad seal....there is no seal. This happens because the lightweight lube thins out the heavy grease the bearings were packed with. You can just keep lubing it, or tear it down and re-grease it.

I tore mine down because I didn't have anyone to tell me all of this.
laugh.gif

Having it packed in grease helps me sleep better anyway.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USN-goat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cover the bed ways under the chuck with ply wood (incase the chuck falls).

Loosen the cams behind the chuck (don't know that type but probably quarter turn left), then use a dead blow hammer(large), to give the chuck itself a solid whack on the side.

Should do it.

</div></div>

If not sure, chuck up piece of long, round stock into headstock.

Always protect where the chuck may fall.
Proper 4-jaw work should not leave a mark!
covering up tracks should not be an eager option.

TC

As was suggested...
I have a scrap piece of plywood under the bench for covering the ways during changeouts. Cheap insurance.