• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Changing 308 barrel to shoot 7.5x55?

flinched

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2005
Glendale, Kalifornia
I know you can use 308 projectiles to reload for 7.5x55, but is it possible to convert a 308 barrel to shoot 7.5x55 Swiss?

Is there any gunsmith you can recommend that can do this?

Re: Changing 308 barrel to shoot 7.5x55?

You'll need to open up the boltface and 7.5x55 won't fit in a short action magazine so it'll be single shot unless you go with a long action receiver.

7.5x55 reamers are available so chambering the barrel won't be a big deal.

I didn't realize the bolt face had to be opened. I have a Tikka 595 that I haven't fired in years so I figure I rechamber it to shoot something cheap.

You can open the neck of a .284 win with a 30 cal mandrel and you'll have a 7.5x55 with a rebated rim that will run quite well in a standard bolt face.
I've done this to two of my 700's, and have won matches with both.

just do it as a 30-284 then you will have a similar chambering and it will fit the 308 bolt face aswell as being a simple rechamber of the barrel you have, Just be carefull as the case is 4mm longer than the 308 case you might have to seet the projectiles very deep to fit the mag. see if you can get hold of an old 6.5 284 case and neck it to 30 can then seet the projectiles you are thinking of and see if the mag will work, I think the 595 has a blocked mag? is it the case if the action is a long action you might have a fix by using a 3006 mag and the rechamber to 30-284 would give you a great round.