• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Changing a Remmy 700 bolt knob?

Monkeyman

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2003
Caribbean
I'd like to change my Remmy 700 bolt knob, I'll probably turn my own. How do I turn the factory knob into a threaded stud? I'd prefer not to cut the factory knob off, I was thinking I'd rough grind it down, somehow hold it in a 4-jaw and male-thread it to screw into a female knob like a CZ. Anyone have any tips?

Re: Changing a Remmy 700 bolt knob?

Have Mike at TacOps do a bolt mod for you. Ive used them all and his mod is by far the best Ive used. I got mine back a week or so ago, and will do a write up in due course.

Here is a cruddy pic of it-
102_0719.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Monkeyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to change my Remmy 700 bolt knob, I'll probably turn my own. How do I turn the factory knob into a threaded stud? I'd prefer not to cut the factory knob off, I was thinking I'd rough grind it down, somehow hold it in a 4-jaw and male-thread it to screw into a female knob like a CZ. Anyone have any tips? </div></div>Gap did mine,and it looks so sweet.

If you'd like me to do one, I'll install whatever brand knob you'd like. I do a lot of TacOps knobs, but I did a Badger knob for TCShooter and it came out nicely.

-matt

if you have one and the time, i've done parts very like a bolt asm, on a mill with a vise and a boring bar. set up time takes while the first time to get square on the post under the knob. then you knock it down to a standard size and use a die nut to thread it. it take a few different nuts, to get the thread all the way down to your stop point. and a lock tight or something like it to make sure it holds. the parts we were doing was a little bigger and longer but the idea should work. just an idea is all.

J

I think that's what I'm going to do: hold the bolt on the mill bed with the vise, mill away some of the knob and then reverse a fly-cutter to round it before threading. Thanks again.

If you have access to a lathe and a mill, make a threaded adaptor to weld on your factory handle. There is always a casting void in the center of the handle where it meets the knob, and it weakens the handle a lot depending on the size of the void.

-matt

OP, I wouldn't just clamp the bolt in a mill vise.

1, you could crush your bolt body.
2, you could rip your handle off while machining.

Its a better idea to make an aluminum jig that goes around the bold body, and clamps onto the handle with most of the pressure.

after you figure out a good way to hold it in the mill vise...

You can just rough mill it down to a .350" semi-circle, then run a boring bar down over it bringing it in to .312", then run a die over it.

Thats not how I do it, but it will work fine if you have a 5/16x24 knob.

Just cutting the factory knob off, milling a flat shelf, drilling a hole(with an end mill), tapping the hole, then screwing a stud into the hole that the knob screws onto would be the easier way to go for you I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thread's from 08, hopefully he's got it sorted by now
grin.gif

-matt </div></div>

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh well felt right </div></div>

Just razzing ya, done it myself more than a few times.

-matt