• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Changing Barrels in the Field.....

I do it constantly. ;)

IMG_7789.jpg

VERY NICE!!!!

Ya got me there.

OK, let me rephrase this.

Those of you who shoot lets say a Remington (or clone thereof) or Badger / AI based rifle, how many of you actually change barrels in the field?

What kind of apparatus do you use to accomplish this task?

I doubt if you'll get many takers on this. Like Orkan I have 2 DTA SRS A1s and switch barrels almost every range trip, usually between 260 Rem and 308. Good luck! Usually unheard of before DTA and AI PSR or AXMC short and long action rifles.

If I were to change barrels in the field than I would weld up square tubing to fit inside my Reese hitch. It would come out far enough so I wouldn't have to worry about hitting the Jeep and raise it up where it was comfortable to work at. Simply pin it in the receiver when swapping barrels and remove it when not in use. It's a simple design and fairly cheap too.

Dennis,
We do it on our prairie dog rifles in the field. Actually use the outside action wrench with the proper sized aluminum bushings for the barrels. The handle of the action wrench goes in the receiver hitch and use a rear entry tool on the action. You can get by with a couple of bushings sized so they will work on a couple of different barrels. This year the old 722 will be a heavy varmint weight 6 BR 1/8 twist and a Remington contoured varmint weight in 22/04 also 1/8 twist. Dale

Some of us also have blaser r93s or r8s where the optics are mounted on the barrel for 100% reliability. Changing calibre is done in less than 30 sec, and i do it all the time on the range. Never out hunting though.

I've done it with my Rem700 clone, but I don't make a habit of it.

Allen wrench for action screws
Barrel vice/handle
Rear-entry action wrench
Torque wrench
Spare barrels
Right-tighty, lefty-loosey.

Takes a couple minutes.

If I were to change barrels in the field than I would weld up square tubing to fit inside my Reese hitch. It would come out far enough so I wouldn't have to worry about hitting the Jeep and raise it up where it was comfortable to work at. Simply pin it in the receiver when swapping barrels and remove it when not in use. It's a simple design and fairly cheap too.

That bracket can do double duty. I mount my Rockchucker press to it for loading or clamp my barrel vise to it for changing barrels.

Never thought of doing that for a reloading setup in the field, learn something new everyday.

When you all change barrels what torque levels are you using? I have a new S/B rig that I pick up this week end so this is all good info for me.

When I was active with benchrest I had a receiver hitch insert that my barrel vise bolted to. I have several action wrenches. But the action wrench I like the best is the one that inserts from the rear of the action and use a socket wrench and a long ratchet. I carried a piece of pipe roughly 40" long I used for a "cheater". I put a couple of small dobs of C5A antisieze compound on the front of the threads.

Agreed. I have an r8 and a tac 2. Easy to change barrels and calibers. I could easily change in the field. For me, it would be more of changing barrels for different types of hunting.

On my tactical rig, intend to stick with what I showed up with. But no reason I couldn't change in the field. I doubt anything is easier to caliber / barrel change than a Blaser.

Didn't say better. But faster.

Frankly, I'm a fan of them.

Marky
TTR