• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Changing bottom Metal to take external mags

srt_1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Steubenville, OH
I'm wanting to to have my bottom metal changed over so that I can use external mags. The rifle I'm wanting to change is my Rem. 5R in a McMillan A4 stock.

Any suggestions and how to's in order for me to have this work done? I tried searching for some answers and info, however I came up short on results.

Re: Changing bottom Metal to take external mags

Jeff at CDI Precision makes a really nice one for a good price and not much more for very clean inletting. Fast turnaround too. My only complaint is that the mag release lever has gotten pushed accidentally three times while out in the field. But that probably has as much to do with the way I carry the rifle and other crap on my pack straps. I'm going to try shortening it a bit soon. Otherwise, Seekins' bottom metal looks good, but you'd have to arrange for inletting somewhere else. Whatever you go with, I'd recommend making sure it's AICS mag compatible.

Alpha Industries mags are less and have worked very well for me.

Contact Jeff at CDI, he will fix you right up.
I just got my 3rd DBM from him this week. Good product, great service and fast turn around.

There are no less then six different bottom metals that will work with the Remington and the AICS mags, all can be found here. It then boils down to what you want and how much you want to pay.

Every bottom metal out there that uses the AICS mag will require the stock to be opened up for the bottom metal.

If you haven't ordered the stock yet, make your bottom metal decision and tell McMillan when you order.

If you already have the stock McMillan will re-cut the stock for just about anyone’s bottom metal for a fee. Some, if not all of the bottom metal makers will also re-cut the stock for a fee.

Thanks for the infor guys....I'll be giving Jeff a call after the new year to set something up...