• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Changing Cases

PKT1106

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Wheeling, WV
Hello-

I searched for a good while and may have missed this, but I have a question about changing cases for reloads. Lets say I am using a certain case with a certain reload and after their life has ended I want to get new cases. Now, I know it is recommended to rework the load with the new cases. However, lets say I used Winchester brass and when those cases died, I bought new Winchester brass. Would the new cases sweet spot charge be similar, or at least in the same ballpark, as the old case sweet spot?

Example: If my current load is 44gr of Varget with older WIN 308 brass, would it be close to the same with new WIN 308 brass?

Check case capacity between old and new brass. If same then you could reasonably expect charge weight in "new" brass to remain pretty close to what worked with "old" brass.

Along with what FCS said, I would load up a few at the usual charge weight and a few with a charge weight 0.5 gr higher and 0.5 gr lower. Then go shoot and check accuracy and velocity.

An example is nosler 260 cases 41.5 gr R17 and necked up Win 243 cases matching speed at 41.9 of R17.

test to the tenth of grain for your best accuracy, but new cases, as long as they are the same starting weight (before trimming) should produce = results.