• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Changing cleaning methods on barrel with surpressor

Schw15

Longrange
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    Have you guys changed the way you clean your rifle barrel since you switched over to shooting with a surpressor?

I've noticed that the carbon builds up way more and it can cause carbon rings and other build up worse.

I'm been shooting 1.5 years and it seems like been awful dirty. But I did notice seeing people youtube ect have changed the ways and they bring up supressors so i was courios.

I see a lot of cleaning rods and drills now for the neck throat area and alot say because suppressor

I'm interested. If there's a forum FAQ for how to do this, please point me at it.

I think I know how, but I'm probably doing it wrong.

I see a lot of cleaning rods and drills now for the neck throat area and alot say because suppressor

That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Do not use a drill to clean.

Boretech C4. Let it soak. Carbon will wipe right out.

Only thing I've ever noticed is I have to clean my crowns. Never used to as the muzzle blast blew it all clear.

Reactions: kthomas
    That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Do not use a drill to clean.

Boretech C4. Let it soak. Carbon will wipe right out.

Only thing I've ever noticed is I have to clean my crowns. Never used to as the muzzle blast blew it all clear.

That's the biggest difference I've noticed as well. Crowns get dirtier.

Everything else has been essentially the same, more or less.

Attached is @Frank Green ‘s cleaning regimen. His company makes premium barrels. I’ve switched over to what he does and my cleaning life is much easier. I’ve quit looking at cleaning products, and my guns come clean easier as I clean after each use, and deep clean after 200-500 rounds.

He has funny stories on here about doofuses using a SS brush on a drill to clean their barrels.

Which ruins them.

And yeah, crowns get dirtier. Easy to clean crowns.

Attachments

• Frank Green-Cleaning Break-in guidelines.pdf
      1.3 MB · Views: 53
    I haven’t change how I clean but I’ve changed how often I clean.
    Yeah, that’s a huge part of it. I’m not saying what Frank uses is better than brand-x, but since it works for him it’s allowed me to just de-stress over analyzing other products as confusion dissipates and I become my best self.

lol

Yeah, that’s a huge part of it. I’m not saying what Frank uses is better than brand-x, but since it works for him it’s allowed me to just de-stress over analyzing other products as confusion dissipates and I become my best self.

lol
    Well, if it removes stress then go for it. Hoppe’s #9 is not my favorite as I think there are other better products now but it does work.

Reactions: carbonbased
    I use boretech carbon c4 and there copper remover mostly. Then patch out wipe out with accelerator if I have alot of copper that combo seems to eat copper the best.

I use brushes but only nylon brushes.

Reactions: Baron23
    My plan is to start cleaning almost everytime I go shoot run a few patches and brush it out a little. Then at 150 rds or so do a deep clean.

I usually clean after about 200rds of magnum calibers

Reactions: Baron23