• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing changing ejection angle on m16 extractor

wvlapua

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2012
Morgantown, WV
My Tac300 is ejecting cases into the windage turret. I cannot move the scope further forward (sa cartride in la). I've read you can file down the top edge of the ejector to lessen the bite. Any detailed help would be appreciated.

My Tac300 is ejecting cases into the windage turret. I cannot move the scope further forward (sa cartride in la). I've read you can file down the top edge of the ejector to lessen the bite. Any detailed help would be appreciated.

Take a small file or cut off wheel on a dermal and cut a relief on the top inside edge of the extractor, go slow. First, look at the extractor carefully before you take it out of the bolt and clip a case under it to see where and how it catches the rim off the case. Visualize its relationship/position to the case head during extraction while making the relief cut. The cut is made on the inside edge where it contacts the rim of the case during extraction. Your changing its profile to more of a triangle than a straight line. This will let the top of the case head/case be tilted down slightly and away from the windage knob during extraction / ejection. If you take too much off don't worry, they sell more :wink:

Good luck.

Thank you sir..I'll give it a try when I get the balls.

Take a small file or cut off wheel on a dermal and cut a relief on the top inside edge of the extractor, go slow. First, look at the extractor carefully before you take it out of the bolt and clip a case under it to see where and how it catches the rim off the case. Visualize its relationship/position to the case head during extraction while making the relief cut. The cut is made on the inside edge where it contacts the rim of the case during extraction. Your changing its profile to more of a triangle than a straight line. This will let the top of the case head/case be tilted down slightly and away from the windage knob during extraction / ejection. If you take too much off don't worry, they sell more :wink:

Good luck.

changing ejection angle on m16 extractor

I'm a visual person. Can I see A pic of what was done. Thanks.

I need to do this modification to mine too - when I get the nerve.

I noticed a picture in the most recent American Rifleman magazine regarding a rifle they were describing. There was a picture of the bolt face which showed the corner of the extractor angled.

Last edited:
Its funny I was just about to come in and post on the same issue that I am having. What if one replaced the ejector spring with a stronger one? I was looking at possibly a spring that would go in a magnum rifle or one of the wolf ejector springs. Like this one:
Wolff Rem. EP Ejector Spring : REMINGTON 700/721/722 EJECTOR SPRING | Brownells

Would it be possible to get a photo in reference to what wnroscoe is referring to.

I don't think stronger would help..maybe weaker. Hopefully someone will market a modified extractor in the near future.

Its funny I was just about to come in and post on the same issue that I am having. What if one replaced the ejector spring with a stronger one? I was looking at possibly a spring that would go in a magnum rifle or one of the wolf ejector springs. Like this one:
Wolff Rem. EP Ejector Spring : REMINGTON 700/721/722 EJECTOR SPRING | Brownells

Would it be possible to get a photo in reference to what wnroscoe is referring to.

The reason why I asked is because I just received my tac30 and it looks to be modified already.

Here are some photos of my Rem700 PTG one-piece bolt with M16 extractor, and .308Win bolt face. It had the same problem you are describing and basically couldn't eject spent brass or live rounds without jamming or severely denting the cases. After this small relief in the extractor the ejection angle is perfect. This modification was done by Mark Soulie at Spartan Precision Rifles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics..definetly helpful.

Here are some photos of my Rem700 PTG one-piece bolt with M16 extractor, and .308Win bolt face. It had the same problem you are describing and basically couldn't eject spent brass or live rounds without jamming or severely denting the cases. After this small relief in the extractor the ejection angle is perfect. This modification was done by Mark Soulie at Spartan Precision Rifles.

After having my barrel spun in and mounting a scope. I tried cycling/ejecting cases.It hits my wind age knob pretty good. Where it dents the case mouth. Then falls back in the reciever.

I think I'll take a pencil grinder to it and trim some of extractor.

This is an extractor from a LH bolt/receiver with the cut made to it. Take that into account if/when making your cuts. It isn't rocket science but it works great.

2s8k954.jpg

2zpoakm.jpg