• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Changing from right hand to left hand

tango6

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2009
IL
I bought a 5r and its right handed would it be worth it to change it to a lefthanded version? this is my first bolt gun and I plan on shooting it lefthanded and using my tight hand for the bolt, but if I could I would like it left handed. Is all I need a left handed action and bolt and have a smith put it together for me in a left handed stock?

Re: Changing from right hand to left hand

You need to start over with a new gun in LH. You can't just convert one, at least not economically. The only thing you'd have that would still be useable is your barrel and bolt body. It would be cost prohibitive. Buy a LH gun if you want a LH gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to start over with a new gun in LH. You can't just convert one, at least not economically. The only thing you'd have that would still be useable is your barrel and bolt body. It would be cost prohibitive. Buy a LH gun if you want a LH gun. </div></div>

This.

Im left handed and you should've just bought a lefty like their saying but I shoot right handed guns all the time. Unless your shooting standing up or hunting there isn't that much of a drawback with a bolt gun? Id just shoot it.
Travis

All my issued guns have been righty and it is not a problem. I'm sure others have this seen this as guns are generally passed down. I like the way you can feed bullets, because it is right in front of your face. Only disadvantage is cycling the bolt standing. That being said, my personal guns are lefties.

I have shot this way for years. With practice even standing becomes easy when cycling the bolt. Barely drop the butt stock into the shoulder and put a little rear pressure on the rifle with your left hand and it will support the weight while you run the bolt. I do it with a 16 pound rifle and it's not like you are going to do it all day.

Right handed guns only give advantages to a lefty. I am thankful (as a lefty shooter) to be in a right handed world.

A right handed gun....used left handed is a dangerous practice.... as bolt opening is rite in front of LH`d shooters eyes.
Blown primers barrel obstuctions hot loads.... can cause...
Scrapnel......it has/will be blown back down lug race way.....
RESULTS CAN BE FATAL.
bill larson

Having had my butt kicked in matches back in the day by lefties using right bolt rifles (the weak model 70s) and not EVER having heard of a shooter being damaged or destroyed because of that practice...I highly doubt that Sgt Larson's fears are reasonable.I have had to switch to left hand because of an eye problem. Since I haven't had to fire more than one aimed shot at a deer in many years, I don't find the bolt a hindrance. If I were going covey shooting at a piggy hunt...I'd opt for a semi-auto anyway. JMHO

All the years of teaching this style of shooting and the many many types of platforms used, there has never been and accident or injury from any lefty shooting a righty gun. Agencies I've been around and taught with have used it as a "better" (in their opinion) way of shooting for real world applications. Follow up shots are faster and accuracy has been phenomenal since the shooter does not have to re-engage the shooting position each shot. The grip and cheek weld is maintained. I have applied this for hunting as well standing and prone. It works but like anything else it has to be learned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: distantplinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the years of teaching this style of shooting and the many many types of platforms used, there has never been and accident or injury from any lefty shooting a righty gun. Agencies I've been around and taught with have used it as a "better" (in their opinion) way of shooting for real world applications. Follow up shots are faster and accuracy has been phenomenal since the shooter does not have to re-engage the shooting position each shot. The grip and cheek weld is maintained. I have applied this for hunting as well standing and prone. It works but like anything else it has to be learned. </div></div>
At a rifle match in Mi.several years ago....a fella 2 benches down from me had scrapnel from a barrel obstuction come back..down the raceway.Went thru his left glass...thru his eye...into his brain.
He Died from it.
bill larson

Sad to hear but the odds of something bad happening very often is extremely low. Firearms are potentially dangerous regardless. Matches are usually hand loaded and sometimes shit happens. Again though, it is sad to her.