• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Changing handguards on a Rock River LAR-8

adrenaline junkie

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
North Missouri
I want to put a different handguard on my Rock River, but where do I start?

The problems I see at the moment...

They have their own "Proprietary" nut, and the free float tube on my gun has a nut incorporated into the hand guard.

The "tool". I don't even see on their site where there's a "tool" for removing and installing a barrel nut. They have one for the AR 15, but not for the LAR 8.

Have any of you changed a hand guard? What tools and handguards did you use?

They really should have stuck with the same DPMS/armalite system everyone else did. I think they're going to be relics in a few years with the larger "10" sized AR's.
smirk.gif

Re: Changing handguards on a Rock River LAR-8

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adrenaline junkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to put a different handguard on my Rock River, but where do I start?

The problems I see at the moment...

They have their own "Proprietary" nut, and the free float tube on my gun has a nut incorporated into the hand guard.

The "tool". I don't even see on their site where there's a "tool" for removing and installing a barrel nut. They have one for the AR 15, but not for the LAR 8.

Have any of you changed a hand guard? What tools and handguards did you use?

They really should have stuck with the same DPMS/armalite system everyone else did. I think they're going to be relics in a few years with the larger "10" sized AR's.
smirk.gif
</div></div>

The barrel nut wrench is listed as a "Quad Rail Wrench" on their website: LAR-8 barrel nut wrench

Check this thread out from the RRA Industry forum on ARFCOM: LAR-8 barrel nut wrench thread

My gunsmith used an AR-10 barrel nut wrench with no issues, but I had the standard barrel nut. He also used a barrel vice instead of an upper receiver vice block.

I've got the JP VTAC 12" on my LAR-8 Midlength.
6634FF46-C2D6-49DA-92AB-177ADAFAFF4D-8770-0000093301B3DA76.jpg

Looks great! Thanks!

Was your's special made for Rock River? Or is it just a standard AR10 style? Did you use your original nut? Or did you use one that came with the hand guard?

Something to keep in mind when taking the original guard off - RRA has been known to use loctite or some type of threadlocker. I had to use a good bit of heat to get the barrel nut to break.

No web site says specifically not to use anything but their nut. It says other threads may fit but are not deep enough. Just FYI.