• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Changing head spacing on belted magnums

Gtummy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2014
Beaumont, Texas
I have read various articles in the past reference people making various changes so that their belted magnums head space at the shoulder rather then at the belt. It was more idle curiosity then anything else. I assume it was just to have more control on the head spacing of the cartridge. During a conversation with Jim Carstensen when ordering a couple of FL resizing dies (one of which is for my 300 win mag) head spacing came up and he said that he could fix the die so that the resulting cases would head space on the shoulder. What do I actually gain by doing that?

Better brass life. Belted magnums have have quite a bit of headspace to start. Handloaders, especially precision rifle handloaders, work well inside the tolerances that are present in factory ammo for the sake of accuracy and brass life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel head