• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors changing Ohio's no hunting with a suppressor law??

Firemarshall27

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2003
Stoutsville, Ohio,
What can be done? Where to start? I don't understand there reasoning for not allowing the use of them. And when you ask questions to the ODNR I'm not sure they know themselves. I would love for this law to be changed but need to get started on the right path anyone have any experience or suggestions on this matter?

Thanks, FM

Re: changing Ohio's no hunting with a suppressor law??

I think the first place to look would be with your local representative for the state. Of course you would have to provide reasonable evidence that this change would be beneficial for the state and its inhabitants. If you were not able to, I doubt that you will be able to get any real backing from them. I myself do not know why you cannot use them but can see that there are quite a few reasons that would be against the use of them. The biggest of them would be poaching.

My thoughts would be to contact the Buckeye Firearms Association about it. They seem to be the go to group for getting our state legislature all riled up. I watched the house debate/voting on HB45 and it seems BFA had a lot of those guys educated and/or scared.

Perhaps even offer to do a suppressor demo/shoot for some state reps to get an idea of what its all about (and how its legal in other states). I'm sure we could convince TVP to host that.

So for reference, you would be using shotguns and pistols since rifles are not allowed to be used for hunting correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So for reference, you would be using shotguns and pistols since rifles are not allowed to be used for hunting correct? </div></div>

Rifles are allowed for hunting, just not deer.

I've got friends in Ohio who hunt coyote and woodchucks with rifles (and not 22lr). One uses his bolt 30.06 with light-weight bullets for 'yotes. For the 'chucks, one uses a 22-250 bolt and the other a .223 AR.

As I understand it, you can't hunt deer with a rifle in Ohio. But Ohio doesn't prohibit using rifles for hunting other species, especially varmits.

Ohio guys chime in ...

If one applies the same logic to hunting with archery tackle, then the 'poaching' argument doesn't hold water. Not like you can hear a bow, and if one wanted to illegally take game then what's to prevent using a bow/crossbow so as to remain undetected? Besides, most rifles aren't really that silent when suppressed anyhow.

Either way, Ohio has a long tradition of "blue" laws directed at hunting. Remember no hunting on Sundays? You still can't hunt public land on Sundays for that matter. We finally did get a concealed carry law passed though! I'm not confident that much can be done to convince the FUDD game wardens and commissioners that the 'evil' mercenary types with black rifles and silencers can be trusted. The establishment only trusts wool hat with ear-flaps and wooden stock rifle kind of 'fellers. Those guys don't own suppressors.

My suggestion would be to first start with non-game animal hunting. Only allowing suppressors for coyote and ground hog hunting would be good. Other states allow hunting suppressed, but not for big game. I'd happily take that deal; for starters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wicked Weapons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If one applies the same logic to hunting with archery tackle, then the 'poaching' argument doesn't hold water. Not like you can hear a bow, and if one wanted to illegally take game then what's to prevent using a bow/crossbow so as to remain undetected? Besides, most rifles aren't really that silent when suppressed anyhow.

Either way, Ohio has a long tradition of "blue" laws directed at hunting. Remember no hunting on Sundays? You still can't hunt public land on Sundays for that matter. We finally did get a concealed carry law passed though! I'm not confident that much can be done to convince the FUDD game wardens and commissioners that the 'evil' mercenary types with black rifles and silencers can be trusted. The establishment only trusts wool hat with ear-flaps and wooden stock rifle kind of 'fellers. Those guys don't own suppressors.

My suggestion would be to first start with non-game animal hunting. Only allowing suppressors for coyote and ground hog hunting would be good. Other states allow hunting suppressed, but not for big game. I'd happily take that deal; for starters. </div></div>

Agreed. I checked the BFA forums the other day, and they had a thread back around the first of the year about meeting with ODNR about other hunting restrictions. The suppressor part was brought up towards the end, but no info about what became of it.

We're in the same boat over here in your neighbor state Indiana. Laws like these make no sense. As mentioned above, being able to use archery tackle, but not a suppressor is ridiculous. So is being able to use .50BMG for coyotes, but no 30-06 for deer.

Not sure about Ohio laws, but over here we can't own SBS's, but we can own SBR's. We can also carry 500S&W pistols for personal protection, but not auto knives.

Fear based laws, you got to love them
mad.gif

I agree, why cant you hunt hogs, yotes, and groundhougs suppressed makes no sense to me I meen you hunt hogs and yotes at night anyways most of the time. Lets work on that aaron and call the state guys!

Luckily Aaron, an ODNR officer went on the prairie dog trip with us and learned the joys of suppressor shooting. He is also probably about to buy one, so he is going to see what he can do from the inside to get this law changed.

He recommended all interested start attending open houses to voice your opinion.

I will bring this topic back to life. I recieved this email the other day in response to my questions about getting suppressors legalized to hunt with in Ohio.

Adam,

Thanks for getting back with me.

There are two ways you can petition to allow this in Ohio:

You can attend the Division of Wildlife Open Houses that take place on March 3, 2012 at each of our district offices, between 12:00 noon and 3:00 p.m.

Also, you can write a letter addressed to Mr. Scott Zody, Chief, Division of Wildlife, 2045 Morse Road, Building G, Columbus OH 43229.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact us at 1-800-WILDLIFE.

Laura Roth

Division of Wildlife

Sounds like a plan, I'm about 15-20 minutes from Mr. Zody's office.

Sounds like a plan, I'm about 15-20 minutes from Mr. Zody's office.

Good chance I'll be moving to Ohio..Here's to hoping suppressors will be allowed for hunting in the near future
smile.gif

Ohio law permits the hunting of just about anything with a rifle sans deer (the most fun ones). I wish we could get that changed before then work on suppressed deer hunting; that sounds like a good time to me.

Any more on this ??

If you are hunting on private land as an owner or with proper permission its pretty hard for anyone to enforce that law! I have lived in Athens Co for 18 yrs and have NEVER seen a game warden.

give it a few years and hogs really get to be a problem and someone is convinced that a suppressor will allow you to kill more hogs and they will change that law FAST.

Anyone interested in this should head over to her website and shoot her a simple message saying you are interested in changing this law.

Her contact page is http://www.house.state.oh.us/index.php?option=com_displaymembers&task=detail&district=23#

I sent her the following...

Good day Mrs. Grossman,

Congratulations on the recent win!

I would like to voice my opinion on possibly modifying ORC 1501:31-15-02. I am an avid varmint/predator hunter here in Ohio. I am also a Federal Firearms Licensee holder and SOT Class 3 dealer. I own multiple suppressors and would enjoy being able to hunt varmints and predators using them.

There is a major misconception of how effective suppressors (silencers) are on high powered rifles. The report is only slightly muffled, barely enough for safe use without hearing protection, which is the major advantage of using them while hunting. Many hunters refuse to wear hearing protection due to not being able to hear what is going on around them. The report from a high powered rifle using a sound suppressor will still be plenty audible to other hunters in the field due to the supersonic crack.

Finally the process involved for a civilian to acquire a sound suppressor is very involved, and costs them $200 to the ATF. The chances of someone going through this process, plus spending $600-1500 on the suppressor itself, then going out and committing a crime by poaching with it is very unlikely.

I would like to offer my services should you every desire to hear the differences between suppressed and un-suppressed shooting. I would be glad to demo anything to a group concerned on this issue.

Thank you.

Jon Addis
Area 419 Firearms

I agree with Jon. If anyone is serioulsy interested in getting this law changed they should send an email to Mrs. Grossman. After sending letters out to the district supervisors and to Scott Zody the chief of the Ohio Division of Wildlife, the response I recieved was disappointing to say the least. It was your basic blanket response letter, we have to consider all different types of hunting methods, blah blah blah. I have considered pulling an Andy Dufrain and sending a letter a week till they just give in! I encourage everyone to speak out