• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Changing out bubble level?

scorpio 25

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2005
Got some new levels and need to change them out . i already squared up the scope with a plumb line and scope tracking target so is there a way i can put the new level on in the house instead of going back out to 100yds and doing this again?

Hang a plumb line on your wall and shine a flashlight backwards through the scope, this will project the reticle on the wall and you can line it up with the plumb line (you may need to adjust the diopter and magnification to see the reticle). When the reticle is lined up set your bubble level.

If you can focus close enough, you can use a water jug in your yard or garage or whatever to level the reticle, then attach the bubble level.

I use the flashlight method typically, just cause I won’t have a yard for another couple months, but after that it’ll be water jug all the way.

Reactions: Badjujuu
If you can focus close enough, you can use a water jug in your yard or garage or whatever to level the reticle, then attach the bubble level.

I use the flashlight method typically, just cause I won’t have a yard for another couple months, but after that it’ll be water jug all the way.
Ah, ok….and what exactly do you do with this jug to level your scope????

Fill it halfway full and lay it on its side, then line up the horizontal stadia to the waterline. Identical function to a plumb line, just in the horizontal, and much easier to set up.

Reactions: Baron23
You have a level on there now so set your rifle on its bipod to level and then put a level on the elevation knob and see where it is. If centered then great if off a little then just take a pic and then install the new bubble level to level with that level on elevation turret where it was on the old one. Done.

You have a level on there now so set your rifle on its bipod to level and then put a level on the elevation knob and see where it is. If centered then great if off a little then just take a pic and then install the new bubble level to level with that level on elevation turret where it was on the old one. Done.
thanks Rob gonna do that

I have a clamp I made with a flat surface. Works similar to the wheeler kit. Clamp to the barrel/set level on it/match up with current scope level. Remove old level on scope. Match new one to the level on the barrel.

Bubble levels... The training wheels of the shooting world.

Everyone covered it. Also, no 2 bubble levels are the same. Its to do with the shape of the vial during manufacture. So DONT rely heavily on them being super accurate. But do spend the time setting it up properly. Light thru scope, string line on wall is a good repeatable method.

The water level is new to me. I always did the flashlight, vertical.

Water level seems so much easier to set up!!!

Clear glass of water.

So obvious.

I feel slow.

EDIT:

I checked it out a moment ago. It didn't work for me. Tried in a pint glass & the a glass pitcher... just can't see the line for the water as clearly as I can using the shadow from a drop down vertical rope. I'm sure I just did something wrong.

I failed with the water and went back to the vertical plumb bob + flashlight backwards through the scope.

Last edited: