• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Changing quick release sling socket from rotating to non-rotating

acourvil

Chief
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2013
San Jose, CA
I have a couple of Manners stocks that have rotating quick release sling sockets and want to change them to non-rotating. What is the best way to remove the old sockets? Heat them and then pull? Drill them out? Seems like it shouldn’t be that hard, but I don’t want to butcher the stocks.

I have a couple of Manners stocks that have rotating quick release sling sockets and want to change them to non-rotating. What is the best way to remove the old sockets? Heat them and then pull? Drill them out? Seems like it shouldn’t be that hard, but I don’t want to butcher the stocks.
Have you asked Manners?

Ask Manners first.

That being said I've taken a soldering iron with a narrow tip and let it rest on the metal part of the socket for a few minutes and then turned them out with a 1/4" t-handle Allen wrench.

I’ve asked Manners a couple times, but the response is “send it in and we will do it.” While that is a reasonable response, I don’t want to pay for shipping or have an undetermined time for getting the stocks back. I’ll try heating the sockets and turning them out. Thanks.

Just a quick follow-up. Heating with a soldering iron worked fine. It looks like the original quick release sockets were only expoxied in the top 1/8 inch or so, so they were pretty easy to heat and remove, and the threaded parts of the stock were still in good condition, very little damage from screwing the quick release sockets out. I screwed the new ones in with just a little epoxy at the top and it looks pretty much the same as it did before the swap.