• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Changing Savage bolt face?

jeffm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2001
West Virginia
I have an oppertunity to purchase (cheap)a savage in 300 short mag. I want to build a 6mm bench rest, The 6mm uses a 308 bolt face, the 300SM Has a magnum bolt face. Can I purchase a 308 bolt face?

Re: Changing Savage bolt face?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the bolt face on a savage rifle be replaced? I have an oppertunity to purchase (cheap)a savage in 300 short mag. I want to build a 6mm bench rest, The 6mm uses a 308 bolt face, the 300SM Has a magnum bolt face. Can the 300 bolt face be replaced with a 308 bolt face? Is this a part I can get? </div></div>

Yes, but there are a couple things to keep in mind. A short mag action will be large shank, and most likely CRF.

There won't be many 6mmbr barrels floating around in large shank. You'll have to order it.

CRF isn't a big deal either. You'll have to remove the standing ejector. When you replace the bolt head, you will also have to replace the firing pin assembly.

Neither is a big deal, just something to keep in mind.

Thanks for your response. What is CRF? What is the difference between the fireing pen assemblys?

Up until Savage went to a center feed design the short action magnums and RUM's were controlled round feed. Similar to a Mauser or Win Model 70.

There is a slot milled in the action with a standing ejector installed on the trigger retention pin. When the round is extracted from the chamber the rim is held against the bolt face until it travels back far enough to strike the standing ejector. At which point, the round is ejected from the action.

Mostly the WSM's and RUM's had this feature. A 308 or 223 sized bolt head is not compatible with this style ejector. They will have the spring/plunger style ejector on the bolt head.

In order to use a WSM action with a smaller bolt head, you'll simply have to remove the standing ejector.

The firing pin assembly's are different lengths between the magnum short actions and the smaller bolt face short actions. Simple swap about $15.

Midway sells complete bolts (minus the ejector and extractor, about $12.00 extra) for $93.00 and they are in stock right now.

The ejector and extractor can be installed in about 5 minutes or less with a needle nose plier and a small hammer.

Buying a cheap rifle so one can spend money to modify it doesn't appeal to me. Buying more work, and possible complications, does not make such good sense to me.

If one needs a tool, one buys the right tool. Does it have to be any more complicated than that?

Costs have an odd way of balancing out regardless of men's best laid plans.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buying a cheap rifle so one can spend money to modify it doesn't appeal to me. Buying more work, and possible complications, does not make such good sense to me.</div></div>

On the other hand, a complete bolt head is only is $55 from Sharpshooter Supply. If the OP is getting the gun for a good price, it's configured the way he wants it (or close enough), and he's not doing the "buy a gun and replace every part on it" dance that we've all done, I'd say it's pretty cost effective.

More importantly, read these this thread on Savageshooters.com re: getting a Savage to extract and eject a 6mm BR cartridge (or its progeny) consistently and effectively:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,31373.0.html (for the ball bearing fix mentioned, someone is giving the right sized ball bearings away at http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,43457.0.html)