• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Changing the floor metal for my Remington 700 P

Chuck0313

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone have input on changing out the stock aluminum trigger guard on my 700 P. I've been looking but I can't find any pros or cons for doing this. I do know if I do this I was going to use either a Badger Ordinance or D. D.Ross trigger guard with a hinged floor plate.

Re: Changing the floor metal for my Remington 700 P

well a lot of your higher end stocks require more torque than that alum. metal will take...do yourself a favor and junk it.

If you want to do it yourself, buy a Williams Firearms steel assembly. It's a drop in unit and won't require a new inlet.

I have a stock unit on mine and never a problem. The real problem with the stock unit is bedding them.

I have a McMillan A5 stock that is pillar bedded. When I replace the stock trigger guard, how extensive are the modifications to the stock going to be?

With a BO or DDR HFP, thhe stock will need to be inletted to fit the beefier HFP. The Williams will just drop in where the stock unit sat.

I would prefer the magazine assemble, however. I've talked with some operational snipers and sniper instructors. Both said the magazine style trigger guards are prone to malfunctions. They say the hinged floor-plate is a more reliable system.

Re: Changing the floor metal for my Remington 700

With many of the systems out there yes. I don't hear too many complaints about the Badger system other than price. The Marine Corps seems to like them.
wink.gif

I have always liked the internal box mag system, but I think I will be converting to the Badger system when funds allow. Too many speed-reload drills have convinced me that it's better to have access to a replacement magazine or two.

Re: Changing the floor metal for my Remington 700

IF you do a magazine, get one of the units that uses the AICS mags, like the badger system.

IF you stay "floorplate", then Williams, PTG, and Holland all make steel units that drop in without changing the factory inlet (very minor sanding maybe, but no milling)