• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Changing to longer barrels on Q Honey Badger / Sugar Weasel? Benefits?

RobbW

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2014
Mesa, Arizona
I am curious if it is possible to change out the shorter barrel on the Q Honey Badger / Sugar Weasel (300 blackout) to one closer to 9 or 10 inches? Not sure if you would still need to stick with 1:5 twist at that point.

I would see a benefit on longer range use without losing too much of the compactness. Maybe use the existing longer hand guards that normally cover the partially integral suppressor and mount a suppressor outside of them?

I am looking at some of the 9 or 10” offerings from POF, DD Noveske. Wish Q had more options. What improvements in ballistics would you gain with a 9 or 10” barrel over their 7”?

thanks for your thoughts.

Robb

Last edited:
The only thing the HB has over others in it class is its weight and size. that is the only reason I could understand spending 2500 on it. If you start swapping barrels, I would look at other manufacturer.

Reactions: RobbW
You probably know this but Q uses a 1/5 twist to help with subsonic ammo. Its more geared towards suppressor use and replacing the MP5 (9mm PCC sized). Mr. Guns n Gear did an in depth video (charts on velocity gains etc) on the various length/twist benefits with 300. I'd swap uppers if anything and keep the top.

Once you start going with a longer barrel in .300 Whisper, it becomes harder to keep the projectiles subsonic.

If it’s a dedicated subsonic blaster, I would stick with the shorter barrel and get consistent subsonic velocities.

SD can be all over the place since you’re spitting out bullets with jacket thicknesses meant to be pressured-up by .300 Win Mag, with fast burning pistol powder and really low charge weights from what is effectively a straight wall case in terms of how the powder burns.

The only thing I would consider if I had one of the pistols would be to make a dedicated barrel/suppressor that brings the barrel to 16”, then attach the PDW stock. Maybe a suppressor body welded to the barrel with a removable internal core would be an option.

I think there’s an opportunity there for Q to work around the stupid ATF infringements and make everyone whole without turning over customer info to the jack boot nazi SOBs.

I don’t care who you are, that’s just sexy right there:

iu