• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CHARGEMASTER 1500 Best Results and Practices

Precision Shooters

Supporter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • I've read through a lot of posts on the Chargemaster 1500, different practices, and ways to get the best results, but I didn't feel like there was one good place where all the tricks I use were shared so I wanted to condense them into a single thread.

To start, the Chargemaster 1500 is a lot of machine for the money. It can also give you a lot of grief as you use it. When I first started with mine it nearly took a rapid flight across my basement and into the foundation wall. Understanding the machine and what causes the grief can make a world of difference in how it performs.

1. Use an insert/reducer. If you do nothing else I suggest, use a reducer. I prefer the JKC Precision Insert made by my good friend @SgtJKM . The threads on the inside of the dispensing tube on the Chargemaster 1500 and the overall volume can lead to over-charges, especially when using extruded powder. Using an insert/reducer can really help with this issue. A fastfood straw can help, but I prefer something a little more permanent/nicer, plus I've had better results with the JKC Precision Insert.

2. Isolate the Chargemaster from other activity. I know this should go without saying, but if you have the dispenser on your reloading bench and you're seating bullets in a press mounted to that same bench while it is dispensing a charge, you're going to have issues. Either use a loading block OR do like I do and put it on its own table. I use a $30 work table from Harbor Freight and my Chargemaster is the only thing on it.

3. Beware of static. Yep, static. The Chargemaster can and will accumulate static over time. I wipe mine down every session with a used dryer sheet. No need for new, it can actually leave a residue on your pan; a used dryer sheet will reduce problematic static. I'm not certain, but I think in a lot of cases, static is the culprit when you're experiencing scale drift. Use the dryer sheet to wipe down the pan, pan tray, and hopper.

4. Learn how to program your Chargemaster! There is a whole host of settings. The attached document is not mine, I found it online a few years back. The Chargemaster has multiple settings and you can change those settings. Importantly, you can adjust how many grains under target weight it transitions from full speed to high speed, high speed to slow speed, and slow to trickle. The factory settings can make for a SLOW dispensing. I usually reduce these a little, and then tweak as I'm throwing my first few charges of a given powder type, powder lot, and target weight. Save this doc on your phone, screen shot it, print it, whatever, but keep it handy so you know what adjustments to make. It's not hard and I promise you won't break your machine by adjusting those weight/speed settings.

So, these are my tips/tricks and best practices with a Chargemaster 1500. Keep in mind you're expecting an item that usually retails for $250-325 to dispense and accurately weigh to within +/- 1/70,000th of a pound.

Attachments

• 20201111_152252.jpg
      20201111_152252.jpg
      409.1 KB · Views: 114
    • DSC_0121.jpg
      DSC_0121.jpg
      208.4 KB · Views: 105
    • CHARGEMASTER.pdf
      98.9 KB · Views: 241
    I loved my chargemaster before I changed some of the settings. Now that I have the settings faster for throwing chargers, loading ammo is soooooo much faster and it's still accurate. But yea, I seat bullets on the same bench. So obviously can't seat bullets and have it dispense at the same time or else charges can be off by 0.2gr.

Reactions: Precision Shooters
    I loved my chargemaster before I changed some of the settings. Now that I have the settings faster for throwing chargers, loading ammo is soooooo much faster and it's still accurate. But yea, I seat bullets on the same bench. So obviously can't seat bullets and have it dispense at the same time or else charges can be off by 0.2gr.
    I absolutely learned that lesson the HARD way!!

Good advice across the board. I seat bullets on the same bench but make sure the chargemaster is not throwing a charge at the same time. And I also keep a used dryer sheet in the hopper at all times when powder is not in the hopper. It reminds me to wipe it down before each use. It's accurate enough for my use.

Reactions: Precision Shooters
    Great advice. As another note if you are a Chargemaster lite user like I am, many of these hints and tips are equally useful. I do not know if you have the same access to the programming constraints though, I will have to look into that.

Good advice across the board. I seat bullets on the same bench but make sure the chargemaster is not throwing a charge at the same time. And I also keep a used dryer sheet in the hopper at all times when powder is not in the hopper. It reminds me to wipe it down before each use. It's accurate enough for my use.

For anyone loading on the same spot where your chargemaster is, watch it when you go to seat a bullet. Sometimes minor jarring can knock a few kernels of powder out. This is can:
    1.) drop a few kernels below your pan on the load cell and throw off subsequent charges.
    2.) drop extra kernels into your full pan and not register, making charge to charge more inconsistent.

I would get that thing off of your load area as soon as you can work it

Ok so I decided to do some reprogramming to my Charge Master 1500 and I noticed while scrolling through to exit the programming mode that the factory (SR1) setting on mine was 40 instead of 32 and the (SR2) was 80 instead of 40. Anyone else experience this difference in numbers on these settings?

Interesting post. FWIW my friend runs a piece of shrink wrap outside the dispenser tube. Yes, it's an expander vs a restrictor. In my use with this machine dropping Varget I have found it too be very accurate. On about 25 drops only a couple were barely over when confirmed on a beam scale.
    I liked the unit enough to order the "light" version.
    YMMV.

My practice with the Chargemaster is to keep it isolated from the bench that my press is mounted on. I also keep it inside in a temperature controlled environment And away from potential drafts that may affect the measurement. In a laboratory most sensitive equipment will be isolated from bumps, shock, vibration, and other changes to the environmental conditions to try to assure accurate measurements. While it may not be possible to accomplish this in everyone’s reloading workspace, one should try to address what they can. Even if this means throwing the powder charges in a different location. I’ll throw charges on my office desk which is very stable and then seat the bullets on my press in the garage.

Just got mine ... haven't used it yet. My question is ... What are the BEST settings to use that optimize the combination of speed and accuracy?

This thread is what gave me some good direction as far as the settings go. It definitely helped speed up the process and overthrows aren't too bad. I think I still may do a little more toying with it though.

I still can't figure out why my factory settings were different than what is on the PDF.