• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chargemaster 1500 combo

Sidk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2009
Vegas
Midway has this unit on sale and RCBS has a $50.00 rebate bring the price to $259.99. Is this a good solid unit? I've seen some complaints about electronic issues, but also seen good reviews. I'm looking to upgrade that POS Lyman 500 but I don't have a lot of cash to spare so this would be pushing the financial end to its limits. From researching it looks like I will need to at least go back to incandescent light bulbs or candles and a UPS.

Is this a good product or junk?

Re: Chargemaster 1500 combo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love mine!

I have the Lyman 1200 too and it's a piece of shit by comparison. </div></div>

+1

The two things that I found with mine are to leave it plugged in & turned on and to keep it away from magnetic sources such as light ballasts & laptop power supplies.

Ordered, I hope it works good for that price.

Look into reprogramming it to speed up the load process and sticking a straw in the end of the dispensing tube (this really helped mine with throwing over weight charges).

Reprogramming Chargemaster Link

I've read about both the software and the straw. Probably do the straw right off the bat but I'm gonna wait for a bit before tweaking the software. Beside its gonna be at least till next Tuesday before its in my hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've read about both the software and the straw. Probably do the straw right off the bat but I'm gonna wait for a bit before tweaking the software. Beside its gonna be at least till next Tuesday before its in my hands. </div></div>

Make sure you use a McDoanlds straw, it's the perfect size.

I tried reprogramming, didn't get much out of it. Running the stock software numbers currently.

You can reprogram and get it to go faster, but it tends to overthrow more.

I have this product i got it about a year ago. I got SO pissed at first when it would drop too much powder and it was especially bad on my 5.0 grain pistol rounds.

A few weeks ago i noticed the feet on the bottom of the unit are adjustable. If you screw them in or out to adjust the level of the unit you can really change the way the powder measures especially at the end of the charge when the little trickler is moving slowly for fine adjustments.

I loaded 100 .308 rounds and only 3 of them werent dead on. Then i loaded 200 .40 s&w rounds and about 5 of them i had to redoo.

Also static electricity can have an effect. Dont set large metal objects right next to the scale... like pliars or a bucket of brass or calipers etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JonM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midsouth has it for $290 (was only $280 when I bought it a few weeks ago). Throw in a little filler and it comes to $240 after rebate
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004498923</div></div>

You know, I looked at Midsouth before I bought the unit and I thought he wanted $329. Wonder what the hell I saw. Oh well, it will be hear one the 22nd.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll take any info you have.

How big of a UPS am I gonna need. I have a couple already but they need batteries and they are almost as much as a new unit.

I love my Chargemaster Combo. I check behind it with a very sensitive ACCULAB VICON scale (rated to .01 grain) and the RCBS scale is right there within the .1 grain that it's rated for. Excellent scale and despensing unit for the money.

Straw? What does a straw in the tube do?

I understand that the straw help prevent powder clumps and the end of the dump tube, or something like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Straw? What does a straw in the tube do? </div></div>

The end of the drop tube is threaded, the straw covers the threads so the powder falls out more reliably instead of jamming up in the threads and dropping a lot at the wrong time.

Well I got the unit last night and I must say, I'm impressed. That is really a nice, well made piece of equipment. Its now where near the speed reported by some, but I'd rather have the accuracy and yes, I know I can tweak it some, but for now I'm just going to use it the way it is and learn how to use the extra features.

A buddy forwarded me the reprogramming instructions. I tried it (and the McD's straw) and it made a world of difference throwing consistent charges (checked with a separate milligram scale.)

Electrical interference was mentioned. I'd also add to remember a cell phone in your pocket or on the bench can affect the scale. Also, I've found leveling made a difference, too, in consistency.

I run a UPS to condition the power line. I had swapped all my light bulbs for incandescent and my small bench lamp started to melt, lol. Well, I have to find another lamp or lower wattage bulbs.

I have one and wished I would have bought it a long time ago.

I use it to reload 308 and 338LM and would never go back to RCBS manual powder throw. This is way faster to an accurate load.

I love the 2 I have. Reprogrammed them both for faster drops and put the McDonalds straw in them. I can dump powder faster than I can seat bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love mine!

I have the Lyman 1200 too and it's a piece of shit by comparison. </div></div>

This couldn't be more right! I had a lyman dps3 1200... that pile of shit couldn't throw an accurate or consistant charge more than 2% of the time. I sold it without having anything to replace it, then bought the chargemaster. It's a touch slower, but that's only if you count it's speed at throwing a charge... Factor in how many charges are accurate and consistant and the over-all speed is drastically better.

I would use a beam scale and powder trickler before I'd ever even touch a lyman 1200 again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the 2 I have. Reprogrammed them both for faster drops and put the McDonalds straw in them. I can dump powder faster than I can seat bullets. </div></div>

One more +1 for the Chargemaster....First one started to drift after about a year, I shipped it back to RCBS and they replaced the load cell, and the key pad board and had it back to me in 7 days. It was out of warranty so i paid the base fee, $45 dollars but it has worked just like a swiss watch for two years. It's a great time saver and very accurate. Make sure it's level, keep away from cell phones, temperature swings, wind and microwave ovens that are too close. Oh and calibrate it once in a while, (at least once a month) wheather you are using it or not.

I purchased the combo in April. If it ate itself today, I would have a replacement tomorrow! I have not hand weighed a charge this year except to verify that the scale was working...
I have loaded just short of 3000 rounds with it this year and I would say less than 1% were overcharged according to the scale.

Great piece of equipment.

I'm a Chargemaster convert myself. I'm completely pleased with the performance.

I'm seeing about one over throw per hundred with stick powders. Ball powders don't produce any over throws.

I leave it on all of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RG in Idaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a Chargemaster convert myself. I'm completely pleased with the performance.

I'm seeing about one over throw per hundred with stick powders. Ball powders don't produce any over throws.

I leave it on all of the time. </div></div>

How long have you had yours? I'm going on 4 yrs, but I don't leave it on. The only problem I've had was when I changed the pan to a Lyman pan-funnel. Apparently it was too light and I glued a penny on the bottom so that it would go into auto dispense.

You know, its a pleasure now to weigh cases and bullets. I would never do it in the past because the beam scale was such a pain in the tuckus. Today I ran a ladder with matching components all measured by the chargemaster and my gun which I have been fighting an accuracy issue. We found its nodes and oh my. Its back to shooting 2 1/4 group at 300 yards. I don't know about you buy I'll take it.

If .1 grain accuracy is good enough, the CM is hard to beat for speed and consistency.

I've had my Chargemaster for about two years now. Turned it off once when I moved my loading setup.

With some tweaking of the software (which is real easy) I now only have to wait for the first charge to be dispensed. I then pour it into the case, return the pan to the scale, and while seating a bullet, and checking length, the next charge is ready and waiting when I place the finished round in its box.

If you're used to charging a loading block full of cases from a conventional powder measure this will seem slow. If you weigh every charge, trickleing as necessary, this is dispenser is great.