• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chargemaster 1500 Quirks

christopher.dow

I can use measuring things
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I got a Chargemaster 1500 last week, and now after ~250 rounds loaded, I’ve noticed some quirks. Last weekend, it just stopped dispensing in auto mode. A power cycle solved that. Tonight I was loading up some 6.5 with my just-arrived H4350 and talking with my son who’s home from college. I know, I should focus, but I only get about two weeks per year with him. Anyway, I suddenly noticed that the Chargemaster had been running a while and my precious Unicorn Tears were spilling all over the place. I cycled the power, reset the load and finished the session with no further incident.

Has this happened to any of you? Otherwise, I love the thing. It’s a damned sight better than the Hornady charger it replaced. It doesn’t overthrow as much and it’s a lot faster.

You need to send it back. Mine have never done that. I would find the thread with the reducer insert to buy and it makes it run like a dream.

Another vote for the reducer tube. Makes the over throws less often (1 in 20 or so in mine). Also, warm that Cm up for 30 mins before use, if not it'll drift .1 grains low (at least that is what I have seen with mine). Will .1 matter? Probably not, but it's worth noting in my book....

Wasting Unicorn Tears,
If you have it set up an auto, and hit zero, then it will dispense. The auto-throw is just waiting for the 0.0 (either by replacing the pan on the scale, or you hitting the zero button) and then it will throw your load. Has happened to me a couple of times, but luckily I caught the error quickly.

Reactions: christopher.dow
The other thing I will add....I cant my chargemasters to the rear about 10 degree's. I have a bunch of BCM mouse pads and I put 1 under the front 2 legs. This gives it more of a pouring motion, instead of just pushing it out the tube. I started doing this when I had them sped up with the straw mod. I have since returned them to factory settings. The reducer insert likes the factory speed a bit more. Since I have 2, it does not effect me filling cases.

Let the CM warmup before calibration/use also.

Reactions: Subwrx300
I'm not fancy, so I just use a mcdonalds straw - they work. I calibrate mine every time I use it. It also helps if you power it on and leave it on before using. If you notice it start to drift at all it's usually a draft in the room. if you move the plastic cover over while dispensing you will get less drift.

and yes, send that unit back RCBS will take care of you.

Canting the scale will probably have an effect on accuracy. I use a straw to limit how much powder enters the dispenser, and also use a reducing insert with the extra reducing sleeve. Also, the Chargemaster power cable doesn’t have a ferrite bead/choke, so I added one to help with the scale fluctuations. Wiping the scale down with a dryer sheet gets rid of static electricity, which also prevents scale weight fluctuation.

You need to send it back. Mine have never done that. I would find the thread with the reducer insert to buy and it makes it run like a dream.

This. I would just like to add a shameless endoresement. Being somewhat frugal on certain things I used a straw for many years and I have a daddy warbucks buddy who just picked up a chargemaster. He felt the straw "looked" tacky ? so I ordered him up a reducing insert from: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/chargemaster-reducing-insert.6254583/. Tried it last night in replacement of my trusty old straw.

Long story short...straws are for drinking.

A ferrite choke should decrease high frequency noise before it enters an electronic device (such as a scale).
I picked up mine at Radio Shack before they all shut down. You can still find them on multiple websites. I’m not at home now and can’t take a picture of my 1500 power cable, but have included a few pictures found on the web.

Attachments

• B34C5412-5A1A-49E1-A183-7634EEFFD498.jpeg
    B34C5412-5A1A-49E1-A183-7634EEFFD498.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 24
  • 44D9457C-C0A8-436C-B210-6AF99B8E5B39.jpeg
    44D9457C-C0A8-436C-B210-6AF99B8E5B39.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 25
  • A60EDC0D-BDD9-41AB-A6C9-96D77ED8A05C.jpeg
    A60EDC0D-BDD9-41AB-A6C9-96D77ED8A05C.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: MarinePMI
A ferrite choke should decrease high frequency noise before it enters an electronic device (such as a scale).
I picked up mine at Radio Shack before they all shut down. You can still find them on multiple websites. I’m not at home now and can’t take a picture of my 1500 power cable, but have included a few pictures found on the web.

Hmmm is that a real thing? My chop saw with a laser has one of those things on the cord. Never knew what it was.

Reactions: b6graham
I wanted the best chance of accuracy out of my scale and thought the $7 choke couldn’t hurt.

This. I would just like to add a shameless endoresement. Being somewhat frugal on certain things I used a straw for many years and I have a daddy warbucks buddy who just picked up a chargemaster. He felt the straw "looked" tacky ? so I ordered him up a reducing insert from: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/chargemaster-reducing-insert.6254583/. Tried it last night in replacement of my trusty old straw.

Long story short...straws are for drinking.

Straws are for criminals now!!!!

I'm not fancy, so I just use a mcdonalds straw - they work. I calibrate mine every time I use it. It also helps if you power it on and leave it on before using. If you notice it start to drift at all it's usually a draft in the room. if you move the plastic cover over while dispensing you will get less drift.

and yes, send that unit back RCBS will take care of you.

He said it. I cut the tip so it's frilled and about 1/8" is sticking out. Gotta replace 'em every so often but it sure helps with stick and flake powders.

One time mine did seize up, went slow then just stopped. So I took it apart and fixed it. They're super simple inside, not much to 'em. Figured I could wait on RCBS or unfuck it and go. Had it back up in half an hour.

Do you happen to know how big the chargemaster power cable is? 1/2", 3/8" etc? I see that they come in different sizes and wont be home to measure one for awhile

Do you happen to know how big the chargemaster power cable is? 1/2", 3/8" etc? I see that they come in different sizes and wont be home to measure one for awhile

Calipers show the cable width and height are 0.060” x 0.131”. The ferrite choke channel is 0.150” in diameter and is 0.775” long. The dimensions of the plastic casing is 0.5” diameter x 1.0”.

The key number in the above confusion is the 0.150” channel, which is 3.8mm, or 6 gauge.

Reactions: Sogan
ditto what has been said, both the reducing insert and ferrite choke are the way to go. I'm a straw man convert. Something no one has mentioned you might need to be aware of if you use the reducing insert when you finish up a loading session and are removing all the unused powder out of the charge master, remove the insert to make sure you get it all out, a small amount of powder always remains in the tube that doesn't spin out, at least for me. Not important if you only use one powder type but if you aren't it's worth checking. I was surprised, being an ex straw man you just spin the tube dry and till the charge master to get anything remaining, that doesn't work with the reducing insert in place. My 2 cents worth.

The other thing I will add....I cant my chargemasters to the rear about 10 degree's. I have a bunch of BCM mouse pads and I put 1 under the front 2 legs. This gives it more of a pouring motion, instead of just pushing it out the tube. I started doing this when I had them sped up with the straw mod. I have since returned them to factory settings. The reducer insert likes the factory speed a bit more. Since I have 2, it does not effect me filling cases.

Let the CM warmup before calibration/use also.

so 1 mouse pad under front legs and how many at back please. Intrigued . Keen to try. Thanks.