• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chargemaster settings issue for .223 -Update-

repiv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
The Colony Texas
www.dallasmicro.com
I know there are several posts on chargemaster settings and I have read most of them. My chargemaster seems to have a problem with low weight loads such as .223. I am trying to get it to throw 24.5 gr of Varget and no matter what setting I use it will over throw. I dont mean by .1 or .2 by missing the trickle, it throws way over and does not go from full or high to low at all. It goes from full/high to stop and beep. Then its over by 2 or 3 full gr. I have tried setting the HSB_A1 from 8 to 25 and everywhere in between including the factory setting. I have also tried setting the HSB_A2 to various settings and the BSP_C1 to various settings.

I thought I would ask here if someone could give me settings that work for them when they load .223 with varget on the chargemaster before I call RCBS. Nothing I do seems to work.

If anyone has speed settings that work for varget/.223 I would appreciate it if you could post them.

Thanks

Re: Chargemaster settings issue for .223

If you need to dispense 24.5 gns ,dial 24.1 and just tap the rest .also you need to insert a piece McDonald's drink straw inside the dispense tube ,it will help with Varget.good luck

I use the straw already and like I said this is NOT a trickle issue. If I set it to .3 or .4 short it wold still be 2-3 full grains over. That is if I were trying to throw 24.1 it will throw 27.1 or close to that. My problem is the full speed goes PAST the set charge. It never slows down at all, it goes from full speed to stop. (which is way over)

Oh ok sorry read your post too fast.Dial Rcbs and talk with a tech guy.

Have you gone back in and reprogrammed the settings? Sounds like something wasn't set right or it didn't take when you programmed the speed weight settings. I think the settings are for so many grains from your charge weight.

It has been a while since I messed with the settings on mine, so I don't really remember how mine is set. Maybe someone will be able to give a little more information soon.

There are a couple of threads on adjusting the settings as well as a couple of vids on youtube. you might check those as well.

Good luck.

BLK7

My ChargeMaster throws 24.5 grains of 4895 and 3031 without any problem for my 223 with factory setting without a problem. I would call RCBS. Sounds like you may have a problem.

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">-----------UPDATE-----------</span></span></span>

I talked to RCBS today and got a little bit more information that I have read so far about programming the Chargemaster.

<span style="font-weight: bold">We have all seen this and mostly change the first 3 settings:</span>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<span style="font-weight: bold">HSB_A1 (15.68) Grains under target weight to go from full to high speed for low weight
HSB_B1 (3.42) Grains under target weight to go from high to slow speed low weight
BSP_C1 (1.08) Grains under target weight to go from slow to final trickle speed low weight</span>

MSP_A2 (39.20) Grains under target weight to go from full to high speed for medium weight
MSP_B2 (8.55) Grains under target weight to go from high to slow speed medium weight
MSP_C2 (2.25) Grains under target weight to go from slow to final trickle speed medium weight

SSP_A3 (196.00) Grains under target weight to go from full to high speed for heavy weight

SSP_B3 (42.75) Grains under target weight to go from high to slow speed heavy weight
SSP_C3 (11.32) Grains under target weight to go from slow to final trickle speed heavy weight

SEL (065) ???
F_A (050) Grains for a Heavy Charge
M_A (035) Grains for a Medium charge
S_A (006) Grains for a slow charge
W_F (200) Rotation for Full speed
W_M (100) Rotation for Medium speed
W_S (036) Rotation for slowest speed

S_F (012) Scale sensitivity timeout time in m/s fast speed
S_M (024) Scale sensitivity timeout time in m/s medium speed
S_S (128) Scale sensitivity timeout time in m/s slow speed.

FR1 (040) ?
FS1 (016) ?
FR2 (080) ?
SR1 (032) ?
SS1 (008) ?
SR2 (040) ?
DEC (000) ?
AT (000) ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And we know that the first 3 settings are the most important ones. But I got a little bit more today than I already knew or have read anywhere. Sorry if this is already posted somewhere but I couldnt find it. It seems the Chargemaster has 4 speeds full, high, low and trickle. The following 3 settings concern what speed the Chargemaster will use when <span style="font-style: italic">starting</span> to dispense a charge.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">These 3 settings are useful when throwing smaller charges.</span></span>
I tested all 3 and the first 2 worked great, the third setting I had mixed results with. I think another setting, possibly the BSP_C1 or another setting overrides it. At the very least you need to set BSP_C1 to a low number. I guess this would help for pistol charges.

W_F (200) Rotation for Full speed <span style="color: #FF0000">Means any weight over 20.0 grains will start in Full speed </span>
W_M (100) Rotation for Medium speed <span style="color: #FF0000">Means any weight over 10.0 grains will start in High speed (they call it medium here)</span>
W_S (036) Rotation for slowest speed <span style="color: #FF0000">Means any weight over 3.6 grains will start in Slow speed</span>

I was able to set W_F to 250 (for 25.0 grains) and now when I throw a 24.5 grain charge it starts in High speed instead of Full Speed. Problem solved.

Just for added info I was told that these settings are the old speed settings and no longer do anything. I didnt try to change them to find out.
F_A (050) Grains for a Heavy Charge
M_A (035) Grains for a Medium charge
S_A (006) Grains for a slow charge

Also I was told that these settings are the milisecond settings that the Chargemaster goes from one speed to the next slowest. Which I think if this is true might also override the W_S setting (when going from slow to trickle)
S_F (012) Scale sensitivity timeout time in m/s fast speed
S_M (024) Scale sensitivity timeout time in m/s medium speed
S_S (128) Scale sensitivity timeout time in m/s slow speed.

Cool, just learnt some more info on the program settings
smile.gif

Thanks Repiv, glad to hear you have fixed your CM

Repiv,

Try these first three settings: 10.00, 1.50, and 0.50. I have mine set like this and it works great for 223 sized loads (25-27gr) and 308 loads (42-45gr) using both Varget and Reloader 15.

J

repriv, are you shooting 77 SMK's with 24.5gr of Varget? AR or bolt. I've been shooting 24 grains and it has been recommended to go up to 24.5 for an AR.

no This is for 75gr AMAX and the gun is a Rem 700 SPS tactical. I am testing 24.5 - 25.1 in .1 increments.

I am doing load testing right now on 3 bullets. Trying to see what I can get to shoot good in thnis gun. I am testing 75 AMAX, 60 VMAX, and 69 SMK.

prebancolt I have tried those settings and it still seems weird, it just dosent slow down like it should and goes over more often than not. When I adjust the settings to start despensing at high speed it works and does not take very long either. As we all know the final trickle takes the most time.

Hard to explain but with it coming up to the desired charge weight at a slower speed it can get closer to it before going to low and then trickle if that makes sense. So in a way I think for charges in the mid 20s this might even be FASTER.

I started with the settings recommended in this post and tweaked from there. It seems like I tried bumping up the HSP_C1 to prevent overcharges. It'll still trickle a tenth or two too much occasionally, but with Varget it's easy to pinch a grain out of the tray on every tenth throw if necessary.