• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chargemaster & varget - overweight charges?

HomeSlice

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2009
IN, USA
I have a chargemaster 1500 (actually 1/2 of one, split w/ a buddy) and just started using it. He's been using it w/ H332 and loves it.

I loaded it up w/ Varget and was trying to get 42.0 grain charges. It took me 64 drops to get exactly 25 of them that were 42.0. Most would end up at 42.2, but they varied 42.0-42.6.

I was hoping to get more accurate performance out of it. I realize varget is pretty long stick powder, but dang, 1/2 grain over?

It was a pretty frustrating experience. Does anyone else have this problem? It seems it goes too fast and doesn't try to slow down to the slowest trickle on time.

I saw this thread about reprogramming it: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1703845&page=1. I'm curious if anyone else used this to fix the same problem. From reading thru the thread, most pople were trying to speed it up. I'd take slow if I didn't have to dump over 1/2 of them back.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance,
-Slice

Re: Chargemaster & varget - overweight charges?

Stick a straw in the end of the dispenser. If the link doesn't pop right to it, it is the 3rd or 4th post down...with the picture of the straw in the end
wink.gif

Link

Josh

Stick a straw in the end of the dispenser. If the link doesn't pop right to it, it is the 3rd or 4th post down...with the picture of the straw in the end
wink.gif

Link

Josh

A friend of mine has one, he turns it and the scale on and let's it warm up for 30 min. It works flawlessly.

+1 warm up time,
i have never had the problem with mine, but just a suggestion,
why dont you set it to dispense 41.5 grns, and after it has finished dispensing, lightly 'tap' on the tube with a pen (for instance) to trickle the last few kernals up to your desired charge weight.

The McDonalds straw suggestion worked for me.

But, I do still occasionally get a "over" charge, but rather than dump it back into the hopper, I use a small spoon (Lee Powder spoon (smallest one)) to remove a few kernels at a time until I hit the desired weight. With some practice, you can remove the excess very quickly and it doesn't really interfere with your rhythm.

I shoot a lot of 6mm BR and varget is "THE" powder. I only may get 2, 3 at the most over weight charges per hundred, which I think is acceptable. No mods to my charge master, but warm-up and a stable environment ( no A/C vents, fans, or vibration) is a must.

And the 'point' of a costly digital dumpster is to 'save time'?

I have mine on at all times. And the straw trick will let the powder flow much smoother as well.

I can't find the source of this info, but it does work.
By modifying the settings, meaning slowing down the dispenser earlier, you will be able to tune the Chargemaster to the powder/charge you need.

"
This has made a tremendous difference in my reloading experience with this scale. The scale is fully adjustable and there are many settings and that you can change. To enter the program mode pres EDIT MEM and ENTER at the same time. After making an adjustment pres ENTER to go to the next option. After the last setting the scale will reset and countdown. If you passed a setting you have to start from the beginning, there is no back button.

This is the list of settings that you can make to your scale, for some of the functions I do not have detailed instructions as to what they do, and would recommend that you do not change them:

HSB_A1 (15.68) Grains under target weight to go from full to high speed for low weight

HSB_B1 (3.42) Grains under target weight to go from high to slow speed low weight

BSP_C1 (1.08) Grains under target weight to go from slow to final trickle speed low weight

MSP_A2 (39.20) Grains under target weight to go from full to high speed for medium weight

MSP_B2 (8.55) Grains under target weight to go from high to slow speed medium weight

MSP_C2 (2.25) Grains under target weight to go from slow to final trickle speed medium weight

SSP_A3 (196.00) Grains under target weight to go from full to high speed for heavy weight

SSP_B3 (42.75) Grains under target weight to go from high to slow speed heavy weight

SSP_C3 (11.32) Grains under target weight to go from slow to final trickle speed heavy weight

SEL (065) ???
F_A (050) Grains for a Heavy Charge
M_A (035) Grains for a Medium charge
S_A (006) Grains for a slow charge
W_F (200) Rotation for Full speed
W_M (100) Rotation for Medium speed
W_S (036) Rotation for slowest speed

S_F (012) Scale sensitivity timeout time in m/s fast speed
S_M (024) Scale sensitivity timeout time in m/s medium speed
S_S (128) Scale sensitivity timeout time in m/s slow speed.

FR1 (040) ?
FS1 (016) ?
FR2 (080) ?
SR1 (032) ?
SS1 (008) ?
SR2 (040) ?
DEC (000) ?
AT (000) ?

I drop a lot of Varget and have only a 2-3% over-charge rate. I've used the straw trick and it helped a lot. I've not reprogrammed mine, it's totally factory except for the McDonalds straw.

Is your dispenser on a level surface? Any air currents? Lights or other possible magnetic fields? The scale is fairly sensitive. I also regularly wipe the unit down with a anti-static wipe.

If you can't get it to work I'd let RCBS know. I wouldn't be satisfied with your results.

You also need to make sure it is level. If you are tilted a little towards the pan, it will throw charges overweight. I loaded 200 a couple days ago with NO over throws...and that is with it reprogrammed to throw faster.

Josh

Correct on leveling the chargemaster. I run 2 at the same time. reprogram and the McDonalds straw will work. It does not matter if it is Varget or not. You can slow down the last setting on the chargemaster to tricle longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You also need to make sure it is level. If you are tilted a little towards the pan, it will throw charges overweight. I loaded 200 a couple days ago with NO over throws...and that is with it reprogrammed to throw faster.

Josh</div></div>

Good info here...I have had the same issues with overcharging.

I got myself the Chargemaster for Christmas. Had some problems at first with overcharges, but did the reprogramming and McDonalds straw which helped. I have been throwing Varget charges for .223 & .308, from 24gr to 44gr and with the straw tweaked to the right length, almost never get overcharges.

Thanks guys, I'll try checking the level and the straw thing before I screw w/ reprogramming it.

Any suggestion on how long of straw to hang off the end?

Thanks,
-Slice

Perfect. Thanks man. I don't know how I missed that link.

-Slice

Wow! If you're having trouble with it let RCBS know and they'll send you another one. You paid top dollar for that and shouldn't need to muck with it.

I had a post a while back about my reloading setup. The guys told me if I had a plasma TV on the same circuit to make sure it's unplugged and to make sure my cell phone was 20+ ft away. I did that and it's been on the money ever since. I haven't reprogrammed or used the straw. I'm probably different in that I drop powder, load in the case and then seat a bullet. I don't drop a bunch of powder into a loading block of cases. Just not how I roll.

Goodluck! Don't hesitate to call our friends at RCBS. They'll take care of you.

Are you loading in a damp environment? That can cause the kernels to stick a little and drop heavier loads when trickling.
I have the occasional 'flier' where it way overthrows, but it is usually pretty accurate, maybe 1 in 20 will not drop what i have programmed.

It is in the basement, but we have a dehumidifier down there and the central air in the house is on (no air vents near the loading bench tho).

I'm not sure what else is on that circuit, but certainly no TV's or other high-tech stuff. Maybe the water softener. The furnace is on the other side of the wall from there, but it was inconsistent both with and without it running.

I'm going to try the straw thing, and check the level of the bench. Maybe wipe it down w/ a static wipe before I test it next time. Will know by the weekend, and will post back if I get it fixed. Else, I guess it's going back to RCBS.

Thanks all!
-Slice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HomeSlice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys, I'll try checking the level and the straw thing before I screw w/ reprogramming it.

Any suggestion on how long of straw to hang off the end?

Thanks,
-Slice
</div></div>

Mine is cut flush with the end. You just want the powder to hit the center of the pan.

I have one and love it. No overcharging for me yet. My combo did crap out & quit working. Sent it to RCBS and they replaced it. No problems since then. I also don't throw charges and drop load & throw again. I throw a charge, fill the case, return the pan and throw another and then seat the bullet while the next load is being dispensed. I have not had a need for faster or slower throwing with this method.

I must have a really good one. I have two sets of flouresant lights within 5ft, a 52" plasma on the same line and right above the scale, and I talk on my cell while weighing charges. All of this and I might get 1 overcharge out of 100 charges. The most it ever over threw was .1gr. Unless I bump it taking it out.

The thing I notice that will throw off the scale is if you leave a charge in the pan too long. It will gain weight just sitting there. If it does this, I pour the charge back in and re-zero it. Also, I have it tilted slightly back. Maybe thats why it does not over run.

I have had this thing for about 6 years and has been flawless so far. No reprogramming or straws.

Been work-distracted for a while, but finally got a chance to load again tonight. The straw trick worked like a champ! Thanks everybody for the help.

-Slice