• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Charities...

oneshot86

Minuteman
Jul 13, 2001
citrus park ,fl
a few times a month i have people come into our shop and ask for moneys or goods for donation to their charity.
many foster homes for kids, many old folks homes and just a shit load of others.

most, i believe are scams. most i believe, will pay their salarys and cars and give minimums to their org.

my question, what is the form, or how do i find out the financial form, which is filed to the IRS for their yearly tax exemptions.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Little different way of getting there, but I use this to research all my giving to make sure they are actually getting the $ to the intended recipients. There are plenty of charities with officers flying around on G5's, having company junkets in Tahiti etc.....uh no not with my money if you wanna live like that go get a job in corporate America.

I have two that I give to on a regular basis.

-The Salvation Army

-The Innocence Project

Sometimes but less often now since Ive seen how much they can waste, The Red Cross.

I don't give money to strangers walking up and asking. I ask them for their website address, and that I'll give online.
If they have an address, good for them. If they don't, well.....

its rampid here. everytime you turn around
and i dont play.
the catholic church dupped me a bit ago, and now im a hard case

The IRS will tell you if they have been granted tax exempt status, if that exemption is in force and what type of 501(c) organization they are. For example donations to a 501(c)(3) are tax deductible where others such as 501(c)(4) are not deductible. Doesn't really help much.

I don't donate to those who ask or to large organizations.

I look for folks in my area who need help, are not asking anyone for help and don't know I'm considering helping them. Those I attempt to help.

Remaining anonymous in most cases has proven to be a good idea in my experience.

There are some resources that will tell you just how much they spend on the charity vs. how much they pocket. Don't know where to point you though.

I tend to stick with small, local stuff. Like what we do on here. It's not a charity, it's just some guys doing good but it has the same effect and it puts 100% of the resources on target. Besides, if we stick together like that then there's a much smaller chance any of us will need a charity --or wind up financing some greedbag's jet in the process.

The good done on just this site alone is epic. Some life changing, some life saving, some just doing a good thing for a guy who's done nothing but good things for others for so long and deserves a good surprise for a change. And let me tell 'ya, nothing feels better than giving back to my own community of brothers. That's you guys for the crayon eaters and hard of reading!

I know it is small, but the guys/gals in the street corners that have signs looking for food, I end up giving them granola bars that j keep in my vehicle.

Other donations of time and money go to other local organizations.

I know it is small, but the guys/gals in the street corners that have signs looking for food, I end up giving them granola bars that j keep in my vehicle.

And it probably pisses them off. :ROFLMAO: Those MF make more money than I do.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
my thoughts in producing this thread, wasn't to find a charity. we are charitable folks and give when we can, for a ton of reasons.
my concerns are, to weed out what i would consider, the beggars, profiteering off of a person or group of people.
its almost twice a week someone is breaking my balls about giving something to a church or private group that takes our donated
wares and sells them pennys on the dollar to their group or congregation to then spend the pittance they made to pay off high salaries or build yet another media room, or some bullshit for themselves under the guise of a charity.

its like a self serving game.

now i will be able to decide if the charitable org donates a large enough portion of collected funds to the original cause.

We here too, used to give gifts of FOOD to the bums on the corner holding the cardboard 'help me/feel guilty' signs. Until one day, at the end of his shift, said bum dumped out all the food (we and others had given) into a pile on the street, and walked away. I've definitely got more viable humans to help. Yeah, I'm hard that way.

Reactions: TACC
We here too, used to give gifts of FOOD to the bums on the corner holding the cardboard 'help me/feel guilty' signs. Until one day, at the end of his shift, said bum dumped out all the food (we and others had given) into a pile on the street, and walked away. I've definitely got more viable humans to help. Yeah, I'm hard that way.
Yeah, I see what you are saying , I saw their sign saying need food, haven't seen what your describing as ever happened but I dont doubt it. No way they are getting cash from me to buy other things besides food.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer