• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Charlie Wilson's War

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    I don't know how I didn't know about this at all. Looking back, my own life was quite chaotic when this originally came out. Somebody here was saying something about this, not long ago. So I had to check it out.

Holy Shit, what a movie! Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Phillip Seymour Hoffman. They did it well.

i thought it was decent with a more realistic view of how decisions are made by our government, and the widespread incompetence therein.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    Not a fan of Julia Roberts but the rest of the girls in that movie were smoking hot.

Good movie. I've previously recommend George Criles' book (the basis for the movie); it's a fairly quick read, but goes into more detail about how Michael Vickers decided what weapons to acquire, the material and training "pipeline", and the weird relationship between the various countries involved (like how the Saudis were providing funding to buy weapons from the Israelis). Given the short runtime of the movie, I wish they would have taken a few minutes to provide additional additional details, but I get why someone would have decided to keep the dry stuff out of a Hollywood blockbuster.

The whole thing is a hell of a read on global politics, logistics, human nature, guerrilla warfare, and the law of unintended consequences.

Good movie. I've previously recommend George Criles' book (the basis for the movie); it's a fairly quick read, but goes into more detail about how Michael Vickers decided what weapons to acquire, the material and training "pipeline", and the weird relationship between the various countries involved (like how the Saudis were providing funding to buy weapons from the Israelis). Given the short runtime of the movie, I wish they would have taken a few minutes to provide additional additional details, but I get why someone would have decided to keep the dry stuff out of a Hollywood blockbuster.

The whole thing is a hell of a read on global politics, logistics, human nature, guerrilla warfare, and the law of unintended consequences.
    Vickers is still around and a real power broker in defense circles.

Quit the agency about 1990 when the Afghan program was on autopilot. Knew he would never get another job like he had and that agency “Oldsters” were going to have knives out for the young upstart.

You are right about book... amazing read and far better than the movie. Which was still pretty good!

Sirhr

There is also a documentary made by the History Channel that follows actual events. The movie is good, the documentary’s better, if one enjoys history over drama.

Of course, this documentary was made when the History Channel featured history and not long series about people making expensive hand made knives that will never be used to cut anything.

Of course, this documentary was made when the History Channel featured history and not long series about people making expensive hand made knives that will never be used to cut anything.
    ^^^ So on point...

But....

EEET will Keeeelll...

1621778057373.png

Arghhhhhhhh.... that crap is not history.

Sirhr

• Haha
    Reactions: roostercogburn98
    Always an enjoyable movie. The re-watchability index is very high on that one. Reminds me how much i liked Seymor-Hoffman as an actor. He was so great in everything from Lebowski to Charlie Wilson's War to Pirate Radio.