• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chassis Build/Bedding

jonesturf

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
I have been thinking about building a chassis for my rifle on my manual mill. I measured the diameter of the action to just under 1.375". I can get a ball end mill that is that size but like I said its a bit under...maybe a couple thou. How should I go about making the receiver to stock contact? The chassis will be out of aluminum. Could I do a vee or similar and have it contact at 4 or 5 areas along the receiver? I guess I could bed it too. Looking for some input. I have a Bridgeport CNC but that's not running yet. Any help is much appreciated.

Your best bet is probably to just copy what's already out there proven to work, either an AI chassis or look at a manners mini chassis

The majority of chassis approaches out there today are a V-block arrangement.

Depending on the receiver you're using you may or may not find it necessary to bed the V-block interface. Some factory actions still show notable regions of poor/no contact in a V-block and once the action is tightened into the Vblock of the chassis the result is unwanted distortion in the receiver.

I thought about that but I don't have access to them and I find very few pictures of the mating surfaces online. Anyone have any links? The V block makes sense though. What about turning the outside of the action ever so slightly? Its going to get Cerakote anyway.

Also found this. Took forever to find...I've been searching for weeks. So what I'm seeing here is a vee channel. Makes sense and easy to machine.
PhUq3.jpg