• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis for F-Class

UndFrm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2022
CA
Hi

I am looking for a chassis for f-class (open) and was wondering what exactly should I be looking for in one?
I was looking at the ACC Premier knowing that it's marketed as a chassis for PRS. What I was thinking is that I might be able to use it for both, F-class and PRS (if later I do decide to). Any thoughts on this?

If not the ACC Premier (as the elite is a little too expensive for me), any other recommendations?

Thank you

The MPAs would be worth a look also.

I'm no F class shooter but I've never seen a chassis on an Open line in many pics I have come across. They seem to use very specific types of stocks that will ride their mechanical and rear rests.

Check out these pics from Google...I do see one or two chassis there but they seem to be very specialized.

Reactions: Taylorbok
I agree that almost everyone in F-class uses a stock but I don't see any reason you couldn't use a chassis if you wanted to. If ur gonna use a chassis you gonna want the bag rider to be parallel to the bore and also like need to build/ have some form of adapter for the forend to sit on and ride front rest bags well also, I actually thought I saw a post not to long ago on here about something like that

edit: MPA actually makes what I'm talking about https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/f-class-front-rest-support/

I agree that almost everyone in F-class uses a stock but I don't see any reason you couldn't use a chassis if you wanted to. If ur gonna use a chassis you gonna want the bag rider to be parallel to the bore and also like need to build/ have some form of adapter for the forend to sit on and ride front rest bags well also, I actually thought I saw a post not to long ago on here about something like that

edit: MPA actually makes what I'm talking about https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/f-class-front-rest-support/

Yes, I have noticed that too, that most of them are some sort of stock (wood etc). Not sure about the reasoning.
The chassis can also have the attachements like the bag rider for the rear and some sort of plate for the front rest, if need be.

Edit: Yes, something like you mentioned in the link.

Personally I prefer stocks for prone shooting over a chassis so I'd be getting a stock, don't see any of the top F-class competitors using a chassis. Use a recipe that is proven to work. One thing I saw brought up is a RAD doesn't fit in a chassis and a lot of people run a RAD in F-class.

Something maybe said about that's the way it's always been. (bunch of fudd's stuck in their ways)
But if there was an advantage to a chassis I'm sure guys would be using them

The theory behind rarely seeing chassis in F class is typically referred to as “damping.”

Top rifle builders and shooters report a similar reaction as putting a metal chassis or barrel on something hard. Or similar to loading your bipod very hard into a board or hard surface.

Obviously this is on a much smaller scale as they are taking the difference in fractions of an moa.

Basically, a metal chassis is vibrating/bouncing enough in the rest to make it less precise than a stock that “dampens” the vibrations.

Supposedly some builders have built custom chassis and required about 60lbs worth of mass to start seeing the same precision.

Is all that true? No idea. But that’s the theory behind it.

Any reason you don't want to use a McMillan/Manners/Foundation? I shoot a McMillan in PRS and don't find myself at a disadvantage compared to a stock on the positional stages

The F class open guys all use a 3 inch wide flat forend stock that wedges itself in the front rest. its almost to the point that its clamped in the rest. Super stable from prone

1711495648064.png

Last edited:
Any reason you don't want to use a McMillan/Manners/Foundation? I shoot a McMillan in PRS and don't find myself at a disadvantage compared to a stock on the positional stages
The stocks you are thinking of aren't gonna be ideal in F-Class, Mcmillan and Manners do make F-class stocks but they will be less than ideal in PRS.

If you wanna save a couple bucks might be better off to get an appropriate stock for F-class and then if you start PRS buy a chassis that fits your barreled action and just switch it back at forth. That being said you gotta ask yourself do you want to be competitive in F-class or are you just going to shoot for fun? If you want to be competitive I wouldn't cut corners, use a recipe that wins. That means a single feed action.