• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis for Savage FVSR or Buy a CZ457

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
Currently have a Savage FVSR. Awesome little rifle and have killed lots of squirrels suppressed with it. Not one cycling issue.

Question is, I am getting into Centerfire PRS quite a bit and would either like a chassis for the Savage or should I just buy a CZ Varmint Precision with the chassis already on it, for training purposes in my side yard?

I started shooting nrl22 with a savage, then quickly moved to something else. An excellent rifle at the price point no doubt. However the old cliche about putting lipstick on a pig comes to mind. I would go to a different rifle - CZ tikka Or ? Lots of choice today. ( though model availability and accessory availability are issues- one of my shooting associates bought a CZ but has been unable to source any magazines for example)
I still have my savage and always bring it to matches as a backup or loaner

It will depend on how much you like the Savage MkII and how well it shoots for you along with how much money you want to spend on it. The MDT ORYX chassis is available for the MkII but is $429.95 on the MDT website.

https://mdttac.com/oryx-chassis-system/

Take into consideration the cost of the rifle and cost of a chassis stock versus buying a factory rifle that is set up the way you want.

Yes I do like my Savage MkII rifles with the heavier varmint barrels. But if you are putting in a lot of extra money to get it setup the way you want is the same or more money that another brand that comes from the factory the way you want then it is a wash.

I'd go with the 457 for sure.

I started with a 455 "Tacticool" (Boyd stock). After a season, I put it in an MDT LSS-22 or whatever they called the rimfire LLS chassis back then. After another season, I took the plunge and ordered a Vudoo exactly like I wanted it in an MPA BA Comp chassis, matching the 6.5CM centerfire I had acquired several months prior. It was a lot of $$ but I have never regretted it for a moment.

I took the 455 to a little monthly match I like and put it where people could see it (very confined space with lots of people I know always within a few feet of it). It sold very quickly - I definitely consider resale in any shooting-related purchase I make.

The CZ-457, especially the MTR variants, appear to be a much improved offering over the 455 generation. I've seen a couple of them on the firing line, and they are very accurate (full disclosure - I have handled one but not actually shot one).

Depends on how it shoots. Can it hold near 1 inch at 100? I think to be competitive a rimfire needs to have a high standard of accuracy.
It might be a fine squirrel gun, but not a competitive rifle accuracy wise.
It's no fun chasing misses when they are because the rifle lacks accuracy.

If CZ is top of your budget buy the best one you can find.

Between those 2, they’re CZ hands down.