• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis or new detachable mag system?

byrom1212

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
greenville tx
Looking to upgrade my rem 700. And I'm not sure which way to go. This gun is used for target shooting to hunting. I can get a good detachable mag system for around $300 for my bells and carlson stock. Or I was looking at either the mcree folding system or the krg whiskey 3 chassis. Weight is really not an issue as the gun is already 13.5 lbs

Re: Chassis or new detachable mag system?

I think the McRee's Precision is a "best value" and serious contender when you are looking at chassis stocks. My recent delima was that I had a GAP built FN/SPR barreled action in a McMillan A4 stock that I bought used a couple of years ago. It was a great setup for my needs, but it was built with the old style FN/SPR bottom metal, which limited me to using only the old style FN/SPR 4 round mags. I wanted to be able to run AI type magazines (or compatible) so I would have the option of using 10 round mags for tactical matches. So, I had a similar delima and was looking at either spending more money to upgrade my A4 stock with a DBM system, or get a new chassis stock with built in mag well that would handle AI type 10 round mags.

I looked at all the chassis stock systems that I could find and ended up buying a McRee's Precision chassis with folding option. No regrets here, it is a solid system and well worth the price of admission. In my opinion it is one of the better buys on the market. In addition to the reasonable purchase price, it also allows you to keep your scope down low where many chassis systems make you raise your scope to clear the fore end. I looked at the KRG and it looks nice, but the price on the stock, coupled with the price of the folder option seemed a little steep. The folder option on the McRee's is one heck of a bargain, and I can tell you the lock up is rock solid.

I also have a good story about how I just dropped my barreled action into the McRee's stock, torqued down the action screws, and then went out and placed second in my first F-Class (open) 1,000 yard match. No range verification or zero check, I just used the dope that I used when the action was in the A4 stock. But I won't bore you with those details here. Oh, did I mention that my first sighter shot was on paper at 1000 yards, and I only took a total of 5 sighter shots and then 20 shots for record/score? Bottom line...highly recommended...it gets the Shredder stamp of approval, which does does not get handed out easily or in great quantity!

Chassis=Bolt on and go.

DBM=Inlet Stock+ Bed Stock

The DBM will be cheaper if you can inlet for bottom metal and bed on your own. If not I would buy the chassis so you don't have to send out rifle to be worked on.

I had something of a similar decision to make lately. My problem with the McRees is that I don't care for the AR15 grip attached to it. I like the Hogue grip when using an actual AR15, but it doesn't really put my finger where it needs to be for precision work. I've yet to find an AR15 grip that fills out my hand and would be something I would consider for a long range rig. Other than that, I think it's an excellent chassis.

Ultimately I decided on the Whiskey-3, even though I couldn't find one locally to try out. Hopefully I'll like it.