• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis Questions And Info

TmisterE

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Washington
Let me start by saying I have never been a chassis guy, always liked traditional stocked rifles, love those beautiful wood stocks. I do have a couple Manners stocks and really like them a lot, recently have been thinking about a chassis to get more adjustability and be able to configure the rifle to fit me better. I'm not a competitive shooter, at 69 too much for this old dog to be chasing those young pups around, just want something that feels good (better) when I get behind the rifle. will use this mostly for shooting steel at the range, my range goes out to just over 1600 yds. and some hunting, have other hunting rifles. I've been looking hard at the MPA Matrix chassis, seems like it has just about any adjustability and configuration you could want, plus for a chassis I really like the way it looks. Probably not the best choice for a hunting rifle but MPA has other chassis more suited for hunting if I like the Matrix. What say yall, any other suggestions, advice, anyone using the MPA Matrix and have any input, likes, dislikes, pictures of your setup. Thanks in advance.

I don't use the Matrix, but have 2 of the MPA competition chasis. Love them, don't have a lot of experience with other brands or models, but they are a game changer for me. It isn't just the adjustability, the rifles feel more solid and stable to me, they shoot better!

I'm a big fan of PDC Custom. It's a small company, but they've been around for 20 years. I've got the Gen5 Competition on 3 different rifles now, but the (lighter) Gen5 LE is also a great choice. The prices are reasonable, and they're both every bit as adjustable as the Matrix.

The Matrix is pretty ass heavy. Even with a full weight kit, and M24 barrel, it was still ass heavy (w/o the rear weight).
I've owned/ own a Matrix, MDT ACC, XLR Envy, OG JAllen 700, KRG Xray, Magpul 700 Pro, and ARC Xylo.

I still have the Xylo as the main match chassis, the Xray for the 22 lr, and the Magpul 700 Pro for the backup/ practice rifle.

Reactions: b6graham
The value proposition on the Magpul Pro 700 is hard to argue with, esp if you get it less than MSRP (not too hard to do). I just think the MPA chassis are so much more visually appealing, otherwise I'd already own a Magpul...

The Xylo is insanely comfortable to get behind, and the walnut grip doesn't get hot. Presumably it won't get too cold either. It's also featured out the wazoo. It, like the Matrix, is a bit heavy to carry, but it balances better.

Alternatively, a couple great options for hunting chassis systems, though with more tactical aesthetics, are:
  • MDT HNT26
  • XLR Element 4.0 Mg
Both of those are under 30oz with grip and adjustable-cheek buttstock, which is lighter than *literally any* stock that you can buy. (There used to be a carbon stock around 24oz with adjustable cheek, but it cost $2600 and is no longer available.)

The manners TCS is an awesome chassis that feels like a stock. Best of both worlds!
462A873F-3823-4305-8B47-CF3730507E3A.jpeg

I've had a few chassis, and a few of them mpa's. No doubt, MPA makes a good chassis. I run the KRG whiskey on both comp type bolt guns, and I do like it better. It's more adjustable. The MDT and KRG are kind of both right there together IMO. The MPA really is well made, just not adjustable enough for me, but there's a reason they are so popular, it's because they are solid. I think mpa has a few options that are better than the matrix honestly, but hey, whatever tickles your Pickle.

The value proposition on the Magpul Pro 700 is hard to argue with, esp if you get it less than MSRP (not too hard to do).

Strongly agreed. It's kinda heavy (although we live in an age where people are intentionally bolting weights to their rifles), and the LOP is a bit slow to adjust if one is trying to accommodate several users. Otherwise, I feel that it's an excellent value when purchased at "street" price (which was around $700 for a new folding example in early 2020; haven't priced one lately).

MDT
MPA
XLR
KRG
ARC
So many good options
Like what spife said get the one that looks good to you, has the price you like or has the features you want and be happy.

I have two XLR’s and really like them.