• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis Recommendations

Slava Ukraini

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2012
I currently have a Deviant Tactical 338NM being barreled and chambered.

I'm considering a KRG Whiskey 3 with foldable stock for the chassis but I’m not sure if it will be rigid enough for long shoots.

It is also going to be a field gun. Any other recommendations I should be looking at?

My buddy is recommending the MDT ESS or ACC Premier. Kinda wish that Cadex Lite Strike could fit but alas it doesn't work with the Deviant.

Any thoughts or experiences good or bad?

Depending on the area you hunt aluminum chassis may not be the best choice. Extreme heat or cold makes it tough to hold onto. Maybe a Manners with mini chassis.
I really like Manners. In the last few years it seemed like they have really cut down on their offerings. I can find any folders anymore on their site.

I like my KRG Whiskey 3 because it really fits me well. The narrow cheekpiece that can rotate (with an optional bit), the solid adjustability (no bolts on the buttstock back out), and the available angled bag rider are all important to me.

I cannot comment on any of their suitability for 338NM, but I would find it surprising if the Whiskey 3 flexed under 338NM recoil. Purely for liability reasons, if it did I’d think KRG would footnote that.

Here are some good overviews of some chassis:

Some chassis that came out after the above overview:

Try to narrow down what’s important to you (short LOP? weight kits? vertical grip? folding butt? NV rail? etc) and then sort from there.

Edit: just read you want a field gun. Well, I’d hate a chassis for a field gun, especially if you’re out in the cold. @Terry Cross offers his KMW stocks, and then there’s McMillan, Manners, AG Composites, or maybe a Foundation (heavy) would be my recommendation. Lots of other traditional stock makers out there.

Last edited:
I haven't heard much about either of these. Anything you particularly like about them?
Foundation handles recoil better, they’re nice in the field, not cold like aluminum or slippery like carbon fiber. They’re heavy but that also helps with the recoil. Beautiful, doesn’t require bedding, easy to get behind, etc.
Xylo is my favourite aluminum chassis (although I’m planning to get a XLR Envy + C6 stock for 2024 so that opinion might change). The xylo handles heavier recoil I feel better than the ACC premier, it’s more sturdy (1 piece construction) and doesn’t have the tuning fork effect. Haven’t tried the new ACC Elite but it looks like they fixed a lot of the flaws of the original ACC by beefing up the forend.
I know a couple of shooters doing fine with the cheaper MDT XRS on heavier recoiling rifles although I doubt that it would be much better than your Whiskey 3.

I went with McMillan for my 300NM. I wanted to compare it to the 260 rifle I had built using roughly the same components and components.
-Receiver was the Mausingfield
-Both barrels were set using a barrel nut
-Both stocks were McMillan A6 PRS
-Both used the same trigger using Huber single stage triggers
-The 300NM was professionally bedded at Oakridge Custom Finishing, while the 260 wasn't.
When I changed the triggers out to 2 stage triggers, the POI was minimal. The 260 was off by .25MOA while the 300NM had no POI shift when I took the stock off the barrel action.

MDT HNT26 might be worth considering but its pretty focused on hunting. I like the fact that most of it is a composite so doesn't leach the warmth out of your hands like a metal chassis would.