• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis right or left

MAVERICK59

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2022
PHOENIX, AZ
OK this may seem like a stupid question, but I am stuck on this one. I am wanting to build a long range/PRS style of a gun, I am right-handed, do everything right-handed except shoot as I am left eye dominant. I can shoot a right-handed rifle left-handed and cycle the bolt with my right hand or I can shoot a left-handed rifle as a normal lefty. ....
I believe a key to repetition and tight groups is to maintain your head position on the stock and to maintain your non trigger hand at the rear of the stock/bean bag....So if I do shoot a right-handed gun as a lefty can I shoot as accurate as if I were to shoot a left-handed gun as a lefty?

OK this may seem like a stupid question, but I am stuck on this one. I am wanting to build a long range/PRS style of a gun, I am right-handed, do everything right-handed except shoot as I am left eye dominant. I can shoot a right-handed rifle left-handed and cycle the bolt with my right hand or I can shoot a left-handed rifle as a normal lefty. ....
I believe a key to repetition and tight groups is to maintain your head position on the stock and to maintain your non trigger hand at the rear of the stock/bean bag....So if I do shoot a right-handed gun as a lefty can I shoot as accurate as if I were to shoot a left-handed gun as a lefty?
I'm left handed and the short answer is no in my opinion. I shot right handed rifles growing up because that's what we had. I didn't buy myself a left hand bolt gun until I was an adult and I felt dumb for not having done it sooner. You will be more comfortable with a left hand rifle and have a better economy of motion. Plus you will enjoy it so much more, I do.

Chase

I'll double what Chase said.
I've shot right handed rifles most of my life, then one day I tried someone else's lefty at a match. Same day I ordered left handed barrel action. Never looked back. Can't believe I waited that long to do it either.

Same as OP.
Everything right handed but dominant eye. Even shoot a bow righty.

But for any sort of dynamic shooting a lefty gun is worth the headache of trying to navigate the limited lefty selection.

The lefty market sucks (getting better). Because so many make do with wrong handed guns.
Ole Steve B w/ Anschutz told me once that he fought for shipment of lefty guns & then couldn’t move them. To which Germany said “Told you so” lol

Being left eye dominant does not mean you have to shoot left handed. I am left eye dominant and have never even thought about changing everything to left handed. You will be at more of a disadvantage as your coordination being right handed will be off. Just shut your left eye. Simple. And when you do need to shoot left handed whether due to the stage rules or some sort of obstacle then you can do it but stay right handed and build a right hand rifle.

And you are not the first person to ask this. Comes up all the time.

+1 for LH. There are a lot more left eye dominant people than left hand dominant. The problem is up until the last decade or two there weren't many options, and kids are still learning on granpappy's right hand rifle so they continue the cycle. Statistically 1/3 of the population of left eye dominant, the potential market is actually pretty large.

same as OP also...

go lefty...i already was too deep into right handed rifles to switch all of them...but im far more comfortable shooting a lefty rifle

doesnt take long to learn the motor skills

i went straight to lefty when i bought a bow and other than resell options being worse, i havent regretted it once

Being left eye dominant does not mean you have to shoot left handed. I am left eye dominant and have never even thought about changing everything to left handed. You will be at more of a disadvantage as your coordination being right handed will be off. Just shut your left eye. Simple. And when you do need to shoot left handed whether due to the stage rules or some sort of obstacle then you can do it but stay right handed and build a right hand rifle.

And you are not the first person to ask this. Comes up all the time.
Thought about that BUT...Go ahead and laugh...I can blink my right eye shut but not my left...if I do both eyes are closed and my aim seems to be a bit off when shooting that way...LOL...and if i open both eyes being left eye dominant its a struggle to obtain a clear picture thru the scope trying thru my right eye.

Thought about that BUT...Go ahead and laugh...I can blink my right eye shut but not my left...if I do both eyes are closed and my aim seems to be a bit off when shooting that way...LOL...and if i open both eyes being left eye dominant its a struggle to obtain a clear picture thru the scope.
Well you got to do you so get a left handed rifle and practice a lot! Should work out eventually with some work.

Trust me, you'll be so much happier with a lefty rifle, and it won't take long to get used to it.
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I grew up shooting right handed because that's all we had and all you could get. I was in my 20s before I made the switch and haven't looked back. -- Rifles were easy. Compound bow took a bit longer...
If more left eye dominant people would stop fighting it **ahem, Rob01**... the left hand market would be much larger, and we'd have a lot more choices.

Last edited:
same as OP also...

go lefty...i already was too deep into right handed rifles to switch all of them...but im far more comfortable shooting a lefty rifle

doesnt take long to learn the motor skills

i went straight to lefty when i bought a bow and other than resell options being worse, i havent regretted it once

One of my left eye dominant high power buddies shot for years right handed, and within a couple of months of switching to left hand he blew his old PR's out of the water. I think using your dominant eye improves eye hand coordination and balance overall from better visual feedback.

Reactions: morganlamprecht
I’m a weird duck. Left eye dominate. Ambidextrous. Shoot rifle left hand (write lh), shoot pistol right hand (throw, bat and shoot b-ball rh).

Tried several different methods to “change” my dominant eye. Have also tried rh bolt action rifles because the offerings in lh can be limited. Didn’t like it. Much less economy of motion. Wound up leaving well enough alone for all of it.

Go lefty.

LH here, started out on a RH FN SPR shooting belly F-TR stuff. The day I got my LH Goddard action was like Xmas!
Go LH and don't look back. Get an action with prefits available like an Impact, Bighorn, Terminus, AI, others, and collect barrels so you're not searching for in stock lefty actions, lol.
All in all, it's a great time to be a LH shooter.
My match circuit throws in some ambi stages, as does NRL22 occasionally, so it's good to practice strong and weak side anyways.

Reactions: Familydude
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. My Brother is as well - he solved his problem by putting a patch over his left eye and forcing right eye dominance after a period of adaptive training. Basically he retrained his eye dominance to shoot right handed. I tried the same.

Ended up with horrendous headaches, mental sluggishness, insomnia, and all kinds of issues. I'm a musician and at the time was working with 3 bands primarily doing improvisation on woodwinds. It all fell apart. I looked for why and the truth is that we are left eye dominant because we are built that way and our brains assimilate the world thru a left eyed dominance. I advise that folks approach this forcing of eye dominance carefully.

If yer right handed and left eyed dominant like me just accept it and shoot with whatever works best. I shoot pistols right handed because I can shift the pistol to my left eye...can't pull that off with a rifle so I shoot right handed actions left handed. If I had it to do over again I get a left hand rifle action and just shift to left handed.

YMMV

VooDoo

My son is right handed and left eye dominant. He is more comfortable shooting left handed.

go right , retrain your eyes it's cheap and painless just takes a little time . you can use this caution you might walk into door , walls and other stationary items for a bit .

crazy-eyes-steve-buscemi.gif

see your eyes are fixed

Reactions: Badjujuu
IMO and in my experience, this "eye thing" is really a "brain thing"...we aren't left eye dominate or right eye dominant by choice or happenstance. Anymore than people are right brain/left brain dominant by choice. It's not a choice, it's a configuration of how you learn and how yer brain works. Some folks are right brained dominant, some are left. Same with eye dominance which corresponds to brain dominance. It works how it was intended to work and if you fuck with it it *may* well fuck with you. It's not yer choice in some cases.

I know several people who are right handed/left eye dominant that have successfully retrained mostly because the World wants/caters to right handed people and wants eye dominance to track handedness. But I know very many musicians and artists who are right handed and left eye dominant who destroyed their art abilities by forcing eye dominance (and left handed people who were right eye dominant but that's rare) trying to conform to normalcy of right handed/right eye dominant. It's not a choice...it's a configuration. Fuck with it to yer peril. Maybe....some people are not intuitive nor artistic so maybe they can force eye dominance without issues.

Others it is simply not wise. Not smart to fuck with Mother Nature and second guess our Config.exe.

VooDoo

In a thread a while ago about this subject one of the highly highly regarded people (mightve been Dave tooley or someone else of that level of respect) talked about shooting a rh gun left handed. Knew of someone that reloaded bad and was more hurt than if they were using a lh gun. Or something like that.

As you can tell by my name here go left hand. I'm one of those left hand left eye people though so I'm screwed either way. If we get more people shooting lh guns we will get more lh guns sooner and not just the base models.

In a thread a while ago about this subject one of the highly highly regarded people (mightve been Dave tooley or someone else of that level of respect) talked about shooting a rh gun left handed. Knew of someone that reloaded bad and was more hurt than if they were using a lh gun. Or something like that.

As you can tell by my name here go left hand. I'm one of those left hand left eye people though so I'm screwed either way. If we get more people shooting lh guns we will get more lh guns sooner and not just the base models.
I recall that thread, or perhaps an earlier one. It definitely affected my thinking.

I am left eye dominant but right handed and started out on righty rifles. After popping a few primers (thank God for eye pro) and that sage advise I accepted that I would much rather not stick my head next to a large opening in the action and subsequently use only lefty actions (except for ARs).

You only get two eyes and life is much more unpleasant with less than the issued number.