• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis vs Stock

SourMash

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
GA
What's the advantages of either? I am not a competition shooter. I'd call myself more of a backyard plinker. I have saved enough money for a Vudoo and I was thinking I wanted a chassis system (why?, I don't know). Maybe it was for the looks of it. Then the other day, I saw a picture of a Vudoo in a Manners stock and it looked really good as well. So what is the advantage of either? Thanks in advance,

Andy

Many chassis offer you the ability to add stuff. I think it’s called modularity. They tend to be heavier so felt recoil is less. The type of shooting you do will determine which is best for you. I’ve got both but prefer the more traditional look and feel of stocks. However I don’t compete or have a desire to add anything more than a scope.

Reactions: SourMash
Unless the traditional stock has a mini chassis, you may have to get it bedded to get all the accuracy out of it. I like the look of traditional stocks, but like that I don't have to bed anything on my chassis. Check out McMillan stocks. They have some nice ones.

The chassis has more flexibility/adjustments generally, but most high end stocks you can get a LOP/cheek riser adjustments set up too now.

The chassis allows a whole lot more customizability to your body.
For me for an example my perfect length of pull is about 13.75".
Through a variety of different scopes, rings, if I want to run any sort of NV / up front optic, I'll have to raise my cheek piece to get a proper sight picture.
Depending on my shoulder/body I might want my buttpad a little canted. Depending if I'm shooting standing or in prone, I might want my buttpad either higher up or down.
For my hand to have a proper 90 degree trigger pull, I need to have my grip slightly closer to the trigger by about 1/4"

Additionally, most chassis are heavier and allow the addition of weights to reduce felt recoil. They also allow the weights to allow a better balance point.

I've run MDT's for a long time. Then I got a Manners but it just wouldn't fit me well enough because the grip was just too far from the trigger for me to feel perfectly comfortable. I had to add 1/4" of foam to the grip to move my gripping hand further forward.

I love the look of the Manners, but I'd need to pretty customized to get it to fit to me and they couldn't get it dialed in so I sold it and went back to my MDT. I just recently got a Xylo which I like.

Personal preference. I don't like AR grips on my precision rifles so most "chassis" are out for me. I have used my Vudoo in a Manners stock with mini chassis for 3 years and no issues and love the feel. No issue shooting it in any position and have shot it in many different ones in matches over that time. Just comes down to what you like and what works for you.

And it's a .22. There is no recoil. LOL

The better stocks have full length aluminum bedding blocks and you can get adjustable LOP and cheek pieces on several. I just picked up a nice HS Precision PST025 and it has all of those things. IMO My McMillan A3-5 is even nicer but was pillar bedded and was nearly a $1k. For the budget minded shooter Boyd’s at-one stock will get the job done for about $250 and has adjustable LOP & Cheek piece.
Whichever is the most comfortable and allows you to mount the accessories that you want at the price you want is the one I’d suggest.

I would agree that it’s mostly personal preference. I have a Bergara b14r that I swap into my MPA chassis. I got a deal on the MPA comp chassis a few years back and jumped on it, even though I was in the “like the traditional look” of a stock. I still love the look of a foundation or a McMillan/Manners stock, but after a few years of shooting a chassis rifle it’s just like home to me. Back when I bought it, arca rails weren’t common on stocks and came ar a custom premium. So that was also I deciding factor for me.

Generally, more out of the box adjustability with a chassis. Yes, there are some stocks that are fully adjustable. Like what was said above, personal preference more than anything