• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis weight?

Janus4088

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
San Jose, CA
I am looking at getting a Chassis, but my problem is that I do a lot of backpacking and take a rifle with me. Weight is more of a concern than it should be, but while outdoors I want to shoot my rifle as I intend on shooting it on the range for the sake of practical practice. I am rather limited on distance with ranges nearby me, so backpacking is the only way I get to shoot beyond 550 yards unless I drive 6+ hours round trip.

What I am considering:
XLR: 3lbs 13oz
KRG: 4lbs 10oz
McRee: 4.5lbs
AICS: 6-ish lbs

Do these figures sound about right?

I know the XLR and McRee have a following, and I am leaning towards the XLR, I was actually favoring it even before looking up the weights of each. Any thoughts on backpacking with a full rifle setup like this and everything that comes along with it?

I may just be ignorant. But are you opposed to a manners stock? I know it isn't a chassis system but they have high quality hunting/tactical hunting-tactical stocks like the MCS-T3 that weighs in at 22-28 ounces. Which is 1.375 to 1.75lbs.

I may just be ignorant. But are you opposed to a manners stock? I know it isn't a chassis system but they have high quality hunting/tactical hunting-tactical stocks like the MCS-T3 that weighs in at 22-28 ounces. Which is 1.375 to 1.75lbs.

The only Manners I would consider is the T5A, and that is 4lbs, so as far as weight goes I may as well go with the XLR as the price of the Manners with a DBM is going to be about what the XLR costs. Plus I will be able to swap out the grip on the XLR or other Chassis system to get something that fits me right, as I have larger hands.

I have pretty much ruled out a standard stock. 90% of the time this rifle will be used at the range, so I dont need / want a light weight hunting stock.

Most of the weight reduction is had in barrel length and type of scope. My XLR/ Rem700 SA with Weaver, 22" bbl with alpha mag, unloaded is 14.5 lbs. I am not concerned with weight as this is a range and static field gun.

Maybe the XLR folder, with 12" hand guard on a 20" or shorter bbl would be a good combo to fit into a pack.

I guess I should have specified this will be holding a 20" Rem700 SA.

I have yet to buy a scope and rings, or a bipod, for this rifle (I don't even get it for another week) and am starting to look at weight.

But due to the modularity of these items, I would not be against having a separate bipod (or not bipod while backpacking and just using my day-pack as a rest) or even a scope/rings.

It will be affixed to my pack as I travel so I really dont even need a sling. I did this with my 5.45 AK on my last trip and it worked rather well.

And I know the AK is significantly lighter than whatever this setup will come in at, BUT I did (stupidly) carry an entire spam can to shoot on the trip. Something like 25lbs? Not the best idea when you cover over 50 miles in 6 days. So I know carrying a 4-5lb chassis on a heavier setup with a couple hundred rounds is not beyond my ability.

Also the trips will be planned with finding one shooting spot, setting up camp and remaining there for the entirety of the trip (with some day hiking with a smaller pack). Previous trips have been the kind where you pack up and move camp 8-10 miles down the way every morning.

Last edited:
When you mention backpacking, are you hiking up through trails, or getting technical. What will you use to carry your rifle? Just curious, as I would not have an issue humping a chassis a mile or so up a side of a mountain, but would not take one through thicket and over boulders and such. I would take my LTR for something like that.

Just want to cross notes as I plan to get some mountain time this spring and summer, get way up in there (CO Mountains) to do some shooting. Four wheel on some jeep trails and then hump the rest of the way.

Not sure what a Rock Solid weighs, exactly, but have you considered them?

If you want the lightest and the best product on the market you should let me help you out. My chassis is 3lbs. "Everything you need and nothing that you don't."

Last year I went to build another custom rifle, and I started looking at what was on the market. They all left something to be desired and I wanted something better so I started Alpine Gunworks and made the best product I possibly could.

After saying that... weight can and will slow you down, and it doesn't care how tough you are. Its fun throwing the 243 in an eberlestock gunrunner pack and easily doing 10 miles running the flats and hiking the hills in under 4 hours while still having a good time hunting, shooting at rocks or whatever. Most of your rifle weight is in your barrel and I feel its important to be able to do an off hand shot with whatever rifle you have. The problem is most of these chassis out there are so heavy that it's tough to do that with. Just my honest opinion and my 2 cents.

Manners actually does offer a chassis system. Either BDL or DBM - your choice. I highly recommend...