• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheap and fine grit corn cob media find.

Re: Cheap and fine grit corn cob media find.

Thanks, that's a pretty good deal with the free shipping.

Yep, that IS a good deal, especially delivered for that price. I went ahead and ordered 200 pounds and will just store it in drums in the barn till needed as it doesnt seem to go bad and I like to keep fresh/clean cob in the cleaners at all times. :)

May not have much use for it now that I am going to try the stainless steel trick.

John

Yeah, Im not buying into the stainless media thing. Sure it works, but I see no reason to buy a new tumbler and wash my brass each time and such. Last thing I need is to add another step to my reloading process.

Very good find. Just ordered some to try out. The picture made me a little nervous, but it did say corn cob.

USMC, have ya used it much? I'm currently using the lyman treated but it seems to not last very long.
Did you treat yours at all? Tried that awhile back an didnt like thet treatmetn much.
Thnx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USMC, have ya used it much? I'm currently using the lyman treated but it seems to not last very long.
Did you treat yours at all? Tried that awhile back an didnt like thet treatmetn much.
Thnx </div></div>

Ive been using the same corn cob for 2 years, it still works, and doesnt need to be replaced. I just add some NuFinish car polish in with each load of brass.

I ordered on Tuesday, it showed up today. Turns out it ships out of SC so it got here quick. Figure 200 pounds will last me a while...even longer if the stainless steel gets here and I like how it works.

Thanks for the tip.

John

Read this post the other nite, went to the website and 80lbs was sitting on my front porch today. I like this company.

Thanks USMCj a bunch!

Tom

Welcome bud. Im not one to keep good things to myself.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the heads up... I'm in for 40 lbs. I'm currently using the lyman treated stuff, and it works very well; however, I definitely need to top off my tumbler. I also hate the fact that the lyman stuff gets stuck in flash holes like none other!

This sounds better that the bird littler, Katee I got from Pets Smart.

I had 2 25lbs bags in my cart one day...the cute little cashier said have lots of birds?? I replyied no...just one big one.

No more conversation from her.

The pet store litter is great for 50bmg brass, not so much for other calibers. Its too corse and can clog up .223 brass.

I got the finest grit, it's pretty fine, it will work good for final clean after size and lube, but I would get the next coarser grit for normal cleaning, I'm gonna also order a bag of the coarser stuff.

I guess the Company is really Grainger, which I have had an account with forever!

Walnut is fine till you get dust buildup in cases and that cause all sort of problems. Dont use walnut any longer and once my stainless media gets here, I suspect I wont use corncob much longer either! :)

Walnut=dust! No thanks!

as for this media being too fine, it has worked great for me for god knows how long now. Coarser grit isnt going to help clean brass any more than the fine grit.

I use Walnut only on very dirty brass, then hit it with CC.

I'll try some of this fine stuff for normal cleaning, it just seems a lot finer than the Lyman stuff I've used forever, it might work the same.

The Lyman stuff will clog flash holes, so needs to be punched out and checked carefully.

Thanks, i'll be ordering from them as soon as i run out of my current supply. I thought weidners had good prices on walnut & corn cob but this is much cheaper & free freight to boot.

I've used walnut on very dirty brass then hit it with CC for the polish but on normal brass i just use CC.

Just can't stand the dust with walnut.

When you get the walnut cheap enough--who cares about dust, just throw it out before the dust starts. In my experience walnut with a little polish takes all of 20-30 minutes to fully clean the brass---and NEVER clogs flashholes.

Nice find brother! Beats any other price I've seen to date.

I got some in and used it for the first time the other day, and was very disappointed. After vibrating the brass for more than 12 hours, it still need much more cleaning.

If you buy this, it will need some additives to clean anything like the lymans stuff.

I always add some NuFinish car polish to new corn cob media.